PDA

View Full Version : A Roger Rattigonism (my Apologies)

OldDog
07-15-2013, 04:20 PM
If people keep saying to find another dealer to go to, there will be no dealers left to go to!

The BRP dealer network requirements need to be uniform across the board! Good customer service translates into ripple profits, BRP! :gaah:

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 04:45 PM
We might just have to promote to you R.I.T.! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Point to Ponder: We seem to be getting a lot of problems where the recommended solution is to find another dealer. Does that speak to what is happening with the current dealer network?

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 05:26 PM
I think that it points to a bit more homework needing to be done by the consumer, before starting to write any checks... :shocked:

spydaman60
07-15-2013, 05:33 PM
:agree: but I can see one idiosyncracy (ya I know it's spelled wrong) with that. some people are happy with dealers that others aren't happy with!

Bob Ledford
07-15-2013, 05:50 PM
BD came up with the best post in answer to "Old Dog's" post. My opinionated statement would read like this! If we did not post any derogatory statements about the dealers, what good data would be there for the researcher to find?

Heck my dealer is so concerned about his sales and service department reputation that if I see anything posted on the net I forward it to him so he can tweak his employees to find out who, what, when, where, why and how do we improve on it.......

As per one of our infamous coffee breaks he and I have where I ask questions about business today versus business 25 years ago. He related being in business today is a real challenge with all the faxes, governmental regulations and a economy that is tanked out. An your trying to sell toys that people really don't need to live on to exist. It is a real challenge....

boborgera
07-15-2013, 05:51 PM
:agree: but I can see one ''idiosyncrasy'' (ya I know it's spelled wrong) with that. some people are happy with dealers that others aren't happy with!

:agree: One dealer in PA, Gets recommendations from a few on on this board, And I wouldn't recommend him, Except to service Hondas, Suzukis, Yamaha,s and Kawasaki, Not Spyders,!

Chupaca
07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Dealerships are made up of a lot of people. If you hate the sales guy and don't speak to anyone else it doesn't make it a bad dealership. Same goes for all the others. If you exhaust your options and thats all they will do OK you may have a bad one. They can also be close knit and you rub one the wrong way and the word spreads. Give them a fair chance for we don't always get the whole story here..jmo having worked in them for some time..

Dan McNally
07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
How does one know if a dealership has folks qualified to work on a Spyder or not, until they have issues? After I wrote the check and was getting ready to drive home, I asked the guy who was showing me things I needed to know (like how to check the oil) about cornering, vs. a two wheel bike. Response? "I never rode one of these on the road . . . just here in the parking lot when I bring it in to service it." That didn't fill me with confidence. I think BRP has a role to play here, setting a standard for those performing maintenance . . . and even showing up, posing as a person traveling through town, with a known issue . . . and seeing if the dealership can properly diagnose and repair the Spyder. Standardization of quality of maintenance is a BRP responsibility that comes when they sell a franchise to a dealer . . . just like a fast food franchiser sets standards for its restaurants.

03hdjill
07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
:agree: One dealer in PA, Gets recommendations from a few on on this board, And I wouldn't recommend him, Except to service Hondas, Suzukis, Yamaha,s and Kawasaki, Not Spyders,!

I wish you would pm me with the name and why you say you wouldn't use them. I hope I am not using them.

OldDog
07-15-2013, 06:25 PM
. . . . I think BRP has a role to play here, setting a standard for those performing maintenance on the Spyder. Standardization of quality of maintenance is a BRP responsibility that comes when they sell a franchise to a dealer . . . just like a fast food franchiser sets standards for its restaurants.

:agree:

SpyderAnn01
07-15-2013, 06:58 PM
How does one know if a dealership has folks qualified to work on a Spyder or not, until they have issues? After I wrote the check and was getting ready to drive home, I asked the guy who was showing me things I needed to know (like how to check the oil) about cornering, vs. a two wheel bike. Response? "I never rode one of these on the road . . . just here in the parking lot when I bring it in to service it." That didn't fill me with confidence. I think BRP has a role to play here, setting a standard for those performing maintenance . . . and even showing up, posing as a person traveling through town, with a known issue . . . and seeing if the dealership can properly diagnose and repair the Spyder. Standardization of quality of maintenance is a BRP responsibility that comes when they sell a franchise to a dealer . . . just like a fast food franchiser sets standards for its restaurants.

At my dealership they have diplomas hanging that show all of the BRP and other schools/courses the technicians have taken

Hberninger
07-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm not a very outgoing person, but being less than satisfied with my local dealer I went to a dealer an hour away and nervously asked to see the Service Manager. He came out and asked me what I wanted. I told him I was shopping for a dealer to do my service work. He was very forthcoming about his technicians and their experience and training. He even shared with me that his best technician took a job at a factory making much more than they could pay him, but the technician comes in and works at the dealership on Saturdays. I would hope that any Service Manager at any dealership would be willing to discuss their capabilities and training.

KeithInAurora
07-15-2013, 07:42 PM
I think that it points to a bit more homework needing to be done by the consumer, before starting to write any checks... :shocked:

Bob - we can do a lot of homework, but in many areas there's not much to choose from. In the greater Chicagoland area, you can choose from 2 dealers. One an hour plus south of the city and one and hour plus northwest of the city. Both have mixed reviews. I can deal with one of the two dealers *somewhat* near me or I have to ride multiple hours to get anything done on my Spyder. With toys at the price point of what BRP is selling, I'd really like to see them do a better job with their dealer network.

boborgera
07-15-2013, 07:52 PM
I wish you would pm me with the name and why you say you wouldn't use them. I hope I am not using them.

PM.. SENT......

ARtraveler
07-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Point to Ponder: We seem to be getting a lot of problems where the recommended solution is to find another dealer. Does that speak to what is happening with the current dealer network?

The issue I am suggesting here has to do with are dealers qualified to service :spyder2:'s. As the number or dealerships have grown, the problems seem to be more--not less. I am not suggesting naming names, or getting up a list. The bad dealers pop up and we hear about it through complaints about inability or unwillingness to service--hence, the suggestions to go elsewhere. Thus my ponder point--Does more have to be done such as training mechanics? Does BRP control who gets to be a :ani29: dealer? Does it take more than just x $'s of inventory to operate a dealership? Are the numbers of "bad" dealers getting to be more, or less?

spydaman60
07-15-2013, 08:02 PM
:agree: One dealer in PA, Gets recommendations from a few on on this board, And I wouldn't recommend him, Except to service Hondas, Suzukis, Yamaha,s and Kawasaki, Not Spyders,!bob, it's probably the one I like. rp?

JJW SpyderRider
07-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Bob - we can do a lot of homework, but in many areas there's not much to choose from. In the greater Chicagoland area, you can choose from 2 dealers. One an hour plus south of the city and one and hour plus northwest of the city. Both have mixed reviews. I can deal with one of the two dealers *somewhat* near me or I have to ride multiple hours to get anything done on my Spyder. With toys at the price point of what BRP is selling, I'd really like to see them do a better job with their dealer network.

Keith I assume Jim Potts in Woodstock is the dealer North of you? Jim supports our Spyders and the Woodstock Spyder Ryders. If you like join us on some rides. I live an hour away myself even though I have a dealer just down the street. Not a bad dealer per say they just don't support a riding group. The tech is a real character but knows his stuff. He has built Mr. Oranges RS and rebuilt an RT-L including replacing the frame. :firstplace:

boborgera
07-16-2013, 07:10 AM
bob, it's probably the one I like. rp?

Yep...

shelbydave
07-16-2013, 08:22 AM
<OPINION WARNING>

BRP is stuck with a legacy dealer network that was built on selling snowmobiles, personal watercraft and atvs.

While these toys were pricey and somewhat complex they didn't require the service level the Spyders do.

Now I bet the LTD series of the RT and ST are probably the best sellers so the situation exists where people have paid premium prices for these products that are competing with some of the oldest and best run dealer/service networks in the world.

In many, but not all cases, it's like buying a new Mercedes from the corner gas station.

:agree: Many of these dealers carried BRP products for years, and just added the Spyder to their offerings. In a lot of cases, even if the tech needed to go to a class, how attentive was he? He's worked on Jet Skis, Ski-Doos, and 4-Wheelers from the same company, and it's possible that a majority of the class was simply a "refresher". They may do wonders for all other BRP products, but lack some in the Spyder line.

I still don't understand why "Go see another dealer." gets under some folks skin... With the exception of Utilities, and Cable TV, I have a choice of WHO I do business with for just about everything else in my life. If I'm not happy with one, I see another. It really all boils down to how willing you are to resolve your own problems, or reflect them on to someone else.

KeithInAurora
07-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Keith I assume Jim Potts in Woodstock is the dealer North of you? Jim supports our Spyders and the Woodstock Spyder Ryders. If you like join us on some rides. I live an hour away myself even though I have a dealer just down the street. Not a bad dealer per say they just don't support a riding group. The tech is a real character but knows his stuff. He has built Mr. Oranges RS and rebuilt an RT-L including replacing the frame. :firstplace:

Yes, Jim Potts is the dealer north of me. I hope to join you guys for a ride in the fall, but right now I just can't get away for the Saturday rides given all the other obligations we seem to have this summer. Thanks for the invite!

I also have read on other threads in these forums that Gator at Jim Potts Group is supposed to be good, but I also saw some threads that say once you take your Spyder in there, it takes a while for them to turn it around. That was my problem with Dockside Marine, who I used when I first bought the trike. They had my Spyder for 2 weeks and still didn't get everything done that I asked them to. Every time I called they said it would be ready tomorrow, but tomorrow's came and went without getting my Spyder back. Ryan (the tech at Dockside) is a nice guy and seems to know what he's doing with the Spyders, but I think he's the only Spyder tech they have, so long wait times. :-(

Bob Denman
07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
bob, it's probably the one I like. rp?
They DO have a fun store to visit... :2thumbs:

I bought from them, had my 600 mile service and DPS replaced by them...
No glaring issues...
It was more the intangible feeling that I was merely a name on a work order to them that turned me off a bit...:opps:

ARtraveler
07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
<OPINION WARNING>

BRP is stuck with a legacy dealer network that was built on selling snowmobiles, personal watercraft and atvs.

While these toys were pricey and somewhat complex they didn't require the service level the Spyders do.

Now I bet the LTD series of the RT and ST are probably the best sellers so the situation exists where people have paid premium prices for these products that are competing with some of the oldest and best run dealer/service networks in the world.

In many, but not all cases, it's like buying a new Mercedes from the corner gas station.

I think the last line in your quote above pretty much explains the situation with few exceptions. :thumbup::thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote: Roger Rattigan: "But BRP had better wake up and do something otherwise this great idea of a Spyder may very well die on the vine.

I realize this is a somewhat negative post and my be viewed by some as finger pointing and/or not constructive". End Quote

You are full of good stuff this AM Roger. I have also said similar things and sometimes felt like I was the Lone Ranger when it came to pointing out a scarry truth. The reception has been mixed at best.

2013 seems to be the year we want to put behind quickly. 2014 hopefully, will have less issues and some great product.

:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Bob Denman
07-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Time will tell...
Tick... Tick... Tick... ;)

ARtraveler
07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Time will tell...
Tick... Tick... Tick... ;)

Vee Hav Vays of making you Tock. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-16-2013, 05:24 PM