PDA

View Full Version : Glossary of Terms

Road Runner
07-15-2013, 08:28 AM
So it has taken me a week to figure out what you all mean by "Tupper Ware". I don't think that I am slow and there have been other terms that I found that I did not know. Maybe other new Spyder owners have similar problems. It also would probably be helpful if there were other owners in my area that I could talk to but I get along. So, a glossary of terms? I found some terms to be slang but some are technical and some have to do with BPR products and after market products. Thanks a bunch. By the way you all rock. Every thing I read is so interesting and you all help one another which is refreshing.

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure just how much of the slang you're unsure of...
Nanny: The vehicle stability control systems that grab you by the collar just about the time that the fun starts... :gaah:
Frunk: The Front Trunk
Orange Screen of Death: Hope you never see it; your Spyder just got serious about one or more error codes, and is shutting itself down...
Farkle: Accessories

I hope that this gives you a start! :thumbup:

Dan McNally
07-15-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure just how much of the slang you're unsure of...
Nanny: The vehicle stability control systems that grab you by the collar just about the time that the fun starts... :gaah:

Best definition of Nanny that I've seen! :firstplace:

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks! But I didn't come up with it; I saw it in here... :opps:

missouriboy
07-15-2013, 09:23 AM
You might also notice that many posts misuse the word "issues" as a synonym for "problems." Of course, we all know they are not synonyms, and that inanimate devices don't have "issues." :dontknow:

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Does anybody else have a favorite definition (Or seven!), that they'd like to add?

Bob Ledford
07-15-2013, 09:42 AM
You might also notice that many posts misuse the word "issues" as a synonym for "problems." Of course, we all know they are not synonyms, and that inanimate devices don't have "issues." :dontknow:
Is this not a grate place to live and learn?

Who ever started subbing " issues " for having a problem needs to be run over with a big steam roller!

PrairieSpyder
07-15-2013, 09:56 AM
"Void the warranty" - a phrase used (usually tongue-in-cheek) indicating that personal mods may run afoul of BRP

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Like two grates?
or to grate an orange peel, or is is it too great and orange peal?
maybe it's to grate a great orange peel?

Eye sea watt ewe mean...

BajaRon
07-15-2013, 10:49 AM

I take issue with your statement.... ;)

Jeriatric
07-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Possum puncher AKA critter getter.

One of the best mods you can and should do. imho

Spyderpops skid plate.

PrairieSpyder
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Possum puncher AKA critter getter.

One of the best mods you can and should do. imho

Spyderpops skid plate.

Also calles a "bump skid"

wyliec
07-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Very good.

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/issues_vs_problems

I'm glad you said of course and not of coarse. Oh, those are homonyms; a whole different ball of wax.

Every now and then I see PC and it isn't personal computer. What is it?

Never mind; I found it and realized that I'm never PC.

wyliec
07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Like two grates?
or to grate an orange peel, or is is it too great and orange peal?
maybe it's to grate a great orange peel?

Sometimes this great place does grate my nerves. But, is that an issue or a problem?

Roger,

Lesson learned regarding quotes and bolding.

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
That's just a big-old pain in the :cus:...

quickster47
07-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Sometimes this great place does grate my nerves. But, is that an issue or a problem?

Roger,

Lesson learned regarding quotes and bolding.

Could be a personal problem or perhaps a personnel problem.

Carl

spydaman60
07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Eye sea watt ewe mean... know u donut!

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Hey Road Runner!
Didja ever see such a bunch of cut-ups in your life?? :roflblack: :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
07-15-2013, 05:04 PM
know u donut!

Are we talking about cops again?:yikes:

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 05:28 PM
This is more fun than an A.D.D. convention for adults only! :roflblack:

BBBANDIT
07-15-2013, 08:03 PM
I am not guite sure that the collar is really where the nanny grabs you.Most owners can probably think of a lot more painful place that she gets hold of. :roflblack:

spydaman60
07-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Are we talking about cops again?:yikes:yup!!
:thumbup:

Road Runner
07-16-2013, 08:22 AM
You all did more than I expected and different than I expected. I seriously laughed and was educated at the same time. We are all to far apart to have coffee but spyder lovers fills the void. (not that kind of void):joke: Road Runner

missouriboy
07-16-2013, 03:02 PM

Who ever started subbing " issues " for having a problem needs to be run over with a big steam roller!Steam roller!??? Wow, pretty stiff penalty, that! Anyhow...

This editorial appeared in the 4/29/13 Kansas City Star...

It's about time we took "issue" with this word

The computer-scanning sofware finished and announced its result: 39 issues detected.

Issues? An online dictionary produced the customary meaning, namely: "An important topic or problem for debate or discussion."

Somewhere along the line this straightforward little word went rogue and began encroaching on turf formerly held by problems.

If our ear is correct, the seeds were planted among the usual lovers of irony. They slipped in the little word when they sought to appear humorously detached and understated. If an unbalanced diner erupted over a lousy steak and punched out the chef, it could be said that "Efrem had issues with the menu," and people would smile. The new use for the little word put a light gloss on stressful moments.

But soon the little word was squirting all over the place and the original irony was lost and what you have now is a weak, cringing indirectness. The linguistic real estate held by once-proud problems is being engorged by a wimpy upstart.

It's gotten so bad that when you go to the doctor, they want to know what your issues are. You're tempted to fire back that you didn't go there to discuss politics, but that would be rude. They might even begin to have issues with you.

Let us not forget that problems still stands ready to do its job in clear, English sentences. The dependable old guy is up there on the shelf, right inside your head.
<end>

I'd say that author was too kind, by half. I think some wannabe sophisticate thought it would make him look smart to say "issues" instead of "problems" and then lots more copycats saw the ploy and followed suit until it finally became a vogue word that drew many more unthinking participants into the (bad!) habit. Gack!

missouriboy
07-16-2013, 03:11 PM
I take issue with your statement.... ;)AHA!! A proper usage of the term. :thumbup:

BTW, I received that shipment from you today. Thank You. GREAT service! :yes:

missouriboy
07-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Very good.

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/issues_vs_problems <snip>Thank you. Your link was very good. The IT service industry is totally rank with this silly vogue. Here's a conversation I can see myself having with one of their techies the next time...

TECH: "Hello, my name is xxxxxx, and I'll be your correspondent for this chat session. Would you please describe your issue?"

ME: "MY issue is two daughters and one son, of which just one of the girls survives today. Now, could we please talk about my computer's problem?"

;)

Bob Denman
07-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Wow! :shocked:
By somehow geting bounced from a basic description of the terms used in here, to a problem with having issues with "issue", we may just have
"Jumped the Shark"... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_5_34.gif

missouriboy
10-20-2013, 08:11 AM

Who ever started subbing " issues " for having a problem needs to be run over with a big steam roller!Hey Bob! Get your big steam roller fired up! I found your culprit! :yes: Read on...

Replacing the word "problem" with the word "issue" was started at Microsoft because some bright administrator thought it would be better psychology if the company never admitted to having any "problems" with their programs. After that, any problem brought up by a customer was referred to as an "issue" in any reply from the company. It is easy to see when the shift occurred if you look back at Microsoft discussion boards. The confusion spread from there.

Just as I always thought! Some wannabe "sophisticate" decided it was cute. Then a whole bunch of copycats jumped on his bandwagon, and here we are today.

GACK! :banghead:

Bob Denman
10-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Sooo :shocked:... Is it okay to have difficulties, with folks that have a problem with "issue"? :dontknow: :D