PDA

View Full Version : How's the Corbin wind sheild fair against the F1

ALIEN
06-18-2008, 09:36 PM
For highway riding, does one work better than another?

Putt-Putt
06-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Well I heard the Corbon is ridiculous In price heard it is $1,200 what ever. But to me it is also UGLY. :spyder:

pphantom538
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Corbin makes the bike look like a praying mantis!

Danimal
06-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I would try the BRP touring shield.. and maybe add a Laminar tip.... which can be removed easily.

I've tried the F1.... too much head buffetting.... bounces your head all over... and without air hitting you on hot days... I can only imagine how hot you'll get.

The wind that hits you using the BRP shield is even and consistent.... which I think is better than the head buffetting.

Magic Man
06-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Alien
I have the Corbin faring and it is true that it is big money at $1399.

The looks are a personal thing, same as if people think the Spyder looks good or not? So, as for looks that will be up to you to decide.

I can tell you that it works great! There is no helmet buffeting or any unusual noise from it, and it has just enough wind slipping around it to keep the air in the "pocket" fresh and cool.

I took it for a longer ride last weekend, and when I got back I was not as tired or fatigued as I normally would have been.

As for changing it back to the stock windshield, it only took about 15 minutes to install it and changing it back for whatever reason would be just as fast.

This product is expensive though, and just like many things it won't be for everyone. But, sometimes that is part of what makes it nice to have as everyone won't have one.

There are many other fine windshields out there for the Spyder that help to protect the driver better than the stock one. So I know you should be able to find something that fits both your taste and budget for sure.

MM

NancysToy
06-19-2008, 07:42 AM
The wind that hits you using the BRP shield is even and consistent.... which I think is better than the head buffetting.

This is absolutely the truth. I am no fan of the Spyder windshields, but the wind is very even. Testing with my hand, with the stock shield, I have to get above my helmet before I feel a stronger slipstream. For touring, I would still like something with more protection, but the necessary narrow width of the Spyder shield, for handlebar clearance, the narrow "waist" at the bottom of the cowl, and the windshield position so far forward are going to make that protection difficult to achieve. Corbin's idea of bringing the windshield lip back farther, and widening the fairing, was a good one, I think, but they did not make it pretty to these eyes. I think a clear windshield with compund curves could have achieved the same thing without being so obvious.
-Scotty

MOTZA
06-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Magic Man... Corbin will make a glossy black fairing, in your opinion don't you think that would look better than a red one on a red and black Spyder?

Magic Man
06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Magic Man... Corbin will make a glossy black fairing, in your opinion don't you think that would look better than a red one on a red and black Spyder?

Again colors are a very personal taste thing. It's not what I or anybody else likes on YOUR bike it's what YOU like. If YOU like black that's all that really matters. It's YOUR Spyder have it the way YOU like.

MM

ALIEN
06-19-2008, 09:23 PM
They do offer it in glossy black, probably wonders if the black would look less noticeable than the red fairing. I'd like to see them side by side on the computer to make a choice.
Wouldn't be nice if you had some kind of software (like the auto makers) where you can click the mouse and create your own custom color,and then view it before you make a final color choice.

Magic Man
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
They can be ordered in Black.

billclemen
06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
The pilot's measurements appear to be the crucial factor in the F1 windshield. Mine is the best touring windshield I have ever owned in over 40 years of touring. It is fabulous!

MOTZA
06-20-2008, 11:57 AM
What's a "Pilot's" measurements

Magic Man
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
What's a "Pilot's" measurements

Things like his height, shoulder width, arm length and such. All these things will effect how the wind would hit him, as all will position him differently in the "pocket."

MM

MOTZA
06-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Thank you Sky Pilot....I would like to see a photo of the Corbin Fairing in black

Magic Man
06-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Thank you Sky Pilot....I would like to see a photo of the Corbin Fairing in black

Soon as you have us custom order your black one and it comes in, you can post pictures for everyone to see. ;D

MOTZA
06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
US? do you work @ Corbin's?

Danimal
06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
billclemen... glad your F1 is working well for you....

Can I ask how tall you are and what height your F1 is??

Mine was the standard 24" tall and I am 5'8".... and it was just terrible with the head buffeting... I feel like a bobblehead doll with the F1 installed.

I was supposed to get a replacement F1 that was 28" tall from Marcel..... but that was 7 weeks ago that he said he would send it 'right out'. I sent him photos of how I sit and he said the 28" would fix my problems.

I put the BRP touring unit back on... and my neck and head don't hurt as much as they did with the F1.

All the bouncing and buffeting from the F1 really took its toll on my neck.

I guess I now have a fancy $150 dustpan for cleaning up the shop floor.

I think the fact that these are 'hand crafted' is why they are not fitting well also. My BRP shields fit perfectly right off the shelf. There is no way that BRP is cutting them to match each bike as Marcel thinks. Looks like his Evo III or F III or whatever it is with the 'wings' is more uniformly moulded.... perhaps not so much custom handmade anymore... which I think would be a good thing.

I'll post my findings once my Laminar tip comes in.... looks sharp.... snaps on and off in seconds... and is only $80.

MOTZA
06-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Why not purchase the Corbin, Magic seems to love his...I might order one right after he comes to Philadelphia and let's me try his. I'll even pay for the gas, room and board for one night.....
Right, come on guys lets not be a ...
Recluse Spyder.
( By the way, I thought of that name first. Send all royalties to me)

NancysToy
06-20-2008, 08:28 PM
[quote=Danimal ]
Mine was the standard 24" tall and I am 5'8".... and it was just terrible with the head buffeting... I feel like a bobblehead doll with the F1 installed.

I was supposed to get a replacement F1 that was 28" tall from Marcel..... but that was 7 weeks ago that he said he would send it 'right out'. I sent him photos of how I sit and he said the 28" would fix my problems.

I put the BRP touring unit back on... and my neck and head don't hurt as much as they did with the F1.

All the bouncing and buffeting from the F1 really took its toll on my neck.
quote]
Dan,
Did you try tweaking the shield, like Marcel shows on his Website? Deb did, and she said it helped a lot.
-Scotty