PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad review

KX5062
07-14-2013, 10:17 AM
While recently installing a new rear tire I checked the brake pads on the rear and found that at 12K the rear pads were below the replacement thickness of 4.5mm. :yikes:

While shopping around I found some Volmar pads on a certain on-line auction site, that shall remain nameless.:joke: The price was amazing and the feedback rating was very good. I figured they were Chinese and the quality could go either way, but since the braking system on the Spyder (older models) appear to be Chinese knock-offs for Nissin and/or Brembo (matching the Chinese rims :(). So I figured they'd be a good match and I'd give them a try.

The pads arrived and had no country of origin, as federal law mandates. Hmm. I look at the pads they look okay, but I do notice the brake material is thin and almost at the minimum thickness right from the get-go. Another not so good sign. I got 'um, so what the heck I'll try them.

Side note: What was Can Am thinking when they decided to mix metric and American standard parts on the rear brakes? And, what is up with those crummy wire clips on the front? Why not stick to proven technology of using pins? Unless, it's to defeat the home DIY'ers? :gaah:

In short, don't waste your time or money on these brakes. The Volmar brake pads are complete garbage. The stopping distance is slightly better, maybe. However, they squeal worse than the originals and shed all kinds of nasty dust making the rims look horrible in only a few miles.

I pulled them off and put the originals back on to await the EBC's.

Hopefully, this will be of help to anyone else considering this option. :f_spider:

bmwlarry
07-14-2013, 12:15 PM
FYI - the brake pads are VERY thin even when brand new! The tech where I get work done saw mine were thin, ordered new pads and when they came, they were as thin as my old ones. Soooo mine were left in!

BajaRon
07-14-2013, 03:08 PM
You probably replaced the pads too soon. The BRP spec for minimum pad minimum thickness is 1 mm (0.040"). Granted, not much but that's what BRP says.

A brand new pad is only 4.75mm thick. A little more than 3/16".

NancysToy
07-14-2013, 05:22 PM
While recently installing a new rear tire I checked the brake pads on the rear and found that at 12K the rear pads were below the replacement thickness of 4.5mm. :yikes:

:hun: ????? The service limit on the brake pads on a Spyder is 1.0 mm.

Bob Denman
07-14-2013, 05:30 PM
one millimeter... .040" :thumbup:

KX5062
07-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Hmm. I must have misread the factory repair manual mistaking mm to inches.:opps:

BajaRon
07-14-2013, 07:24 PM
:hun: ????? The service limit on the brake pads on a Spyder is 1.0 mm.

I don't have the manual specs in front of me and my memory could be faulty, but I believe this is correct. If not I hope someone will set me straight.

NancysToy
07-14-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't have the manual specs in front of me and my memory could be faulty, but I believe this is correct. If not I hope someone will set me straight.

I verified it in the manual.....just to be sure my memory wasn't faulty. 1 mm is the minimum thickness.

KX5062
07-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Yes, I too verified it in the manual. I mistook point of inch to metric. Oh well. No harm done. I didn't and don't like the stock pads anyway.

MidLifeCrisis
07-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Yes, I too verified it in the manual. I mistook point of inch to metric. Oh well. No harm done. I didn't and don't like the stock pads anyway.

Why not try the EBC pads Ron offers? Folks seem happier with them than stock and at least you know where they came from!!!