PDA

View Full Version : Nova Scotia Trip.

Ivorspyder
07-14-2013, 05:29 AM
7 days ago I decided to join a trip which had been put together by Dan Harvey of Countryroads.org.This is free ,non profit.Another Spyderlover member Ken Tompkins had posted this and was doing the trip.I had to act fast.I decided to take the Autotrain from Florida to Washington which saved me 900 miles of I95 riding.The train left Friday afternoon and arrived yesterday morning in Lorton VA.I then set off on I95 to meet up with Ken on the New Jersey Turnpike.From there Through New Jersey,New York to Danbury CT where last night met up with the rest of the group.We are now 3 Spyders,1 Goldwing trike ,1 Harley,2 Goldwings and 1 Kawasaki.8 bikes,9 people,Spyders are in the majority.I was well pleased at dinner last night as this was a really nice group of riders.
My ride yesterday was 340 miles with huge traffic the entire way.Nice weather in the morning rained in the afternoon.Traffic was horrendous the entire way.Today ride is 380 miles up through New England with the group.Weather looks good,nice riding roads and stopping tonight at Bangor,Maine.As we proceed during the next couple of weeks will post some pictures.

ivor:spyder:

Luvs2Ride
07-14-2013, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the post about your trip. Will look forward to seeing more.... :clap:

We've always talked about a Nova Scotia trip but have never made... and we live in PA... much closer than your home state.

Keep us posted and have a safe trip!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Since you are in the vicinity do yourself and fellow riders a big favor .....go see Acadia Nat'l Park at Bar Harbor ME.....It may be close in greatness to the GRand Canyon........................Not kidding....Mike

bhfromme
07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Hey Bangor, Maine, is my hometown!

I agree with Mike. The Loop Road through Acadia National Park is a ride you'll never forget. And downtown Bar Harbor is another must see. Have fun!

MouthPiece
07-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi Ivor:

Keep the posts coming. Better yet, put down the beer you're drinking right now and post some more. <smiles>

Chris

YIRYDE
07-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Ivor,

Did your Spyder have any clearance issues when it was loaded on the Auto train? Do you have the bumpskid installed on you Spyder?

I'm considering using the auto train for a ride down to Key West and the clearance issue is one of my concerns.

wyliec
07-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Since you are in the vicinity do yourself and fellow riders a big favor .....go see Acadia Nat'l Park at Bar Harbor ME.....It may be close in greatness to the GRand Canyon........................Not kidding....Mike

Been to both and liked them equally for different reasons. I especially liked Acadia for having trails not being marked with signs on the trees; you have to be on the lookout for piled rocks. The scenery at the Grand Canyon was beautiful.

We stayed in Bar Harbor; never made it to Bangor. We also visited the part of Acadia N.P. that's off the coast.

SpyderAnn01
07-14-2013, 04:01 PM
I hope you and Ken have a great trip. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

ARtraveler
07-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Glad to hear about the trip. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. I was there in 1997 and liked it a lot.

rogerb
07-14-2013, 04:36 PM
You just missed the Bluenose Rally in the Annapolis Area (Kentville). I was in that area from June 26 to July 1. Beautiful area, just about all areas are. Most prorably you will be going to the Cabot Trail. The ride is beautiful. Go counter clockwise, keeping the ocean on your right. Hope for a clear day so you can enjoy the scenery. A nice place to visit when you start to return in Prince Edward Island. Take the ferry to PEI (no charge) and the Federation Bridge off PEI ($17 app). Toll is only on leaving the island. We stayed at a Provincial camp ground. $26 for one night with power and water, showers and a beautiful view. The one we stayed at also had playground and an activity area, also a 9 hole golf park. They also give senior discounts. We found a little restaurant (cloth table cloth and napkins) with the best PEI muscles you can eat. Spyder dealer in Halifax also Harley and Kawasaki. Enjoy the scenery and the people. On your way back take interstate 295 in Augusta and stop at LL Bean in Freeport and Delorme Mapping in Yarmoth(exit 14) and see Eartha (the biggest globe in the world, 3 stories high) I295 reconnects with I95. Have a nice trip.

crossbowme
07-14-2013, 05:01 PM

I grew up in the park area and I disagree. Nowadays you can't see the park for all the tourists!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-14-2013, 07:29 PM
I grew up in the park area and I disagree. Nowadays you can't see the park for all the tourists!

I absolutely agree that YOU SHOULD STAY home........There are damn people everywhere you look nowadays even riding Spyders and Posting on Spyderlovers..How dare they ......REALLY.....:yikes: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: .......Mike

EnjoyingTheRyde
07-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Keep us posted! Nova Scotia is right next door to us but never been, one of these days we'll do the maritime provinces... :)

Ivorspyder
07-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Yesterday left early from Conneticut.The group all decided to use the Interstate the whole way with a stop at LL Bean at Freeport ,Maine.I do not know New England well so I found it a good ryde as I went through Massachusets,New Hampshire and Maine.The weather was hot and nice.The stop for an hour in Freeport was good and we made it to Bangor 6pm.Distance travelled 380 miles.I note the replies re Acadia and Bar Harbor but I know them both fairly well as I skippered a 74 charter ketch there for a Summer 20 years ago as well as spending time there a few years ago in a Motorhome.
Today we left Bangor and used the coastal 2 lane road all the way upto Canada.This is a really scenic road for over a 120 miles.A really good ryde and the weather has been great all day.SUNNY:yes:.
Went through the Canadian Border picked their Interstate all the. Way up the Province of New Brunswick to Saint John.We are all staying in a great mom&pop hotel which overlooks The Bay of Fundy.The tides here are the highest in the world.
Tomorrow we take the ferry across the Bay of Fundy to Nova Scotia I believe 3 hour crossing.Once over we ryde approx 130 miles on the coast road to Yarmouth.Picture coast rd 1 Maine.

johnwinslow
07-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Keep us posted! Nova Scotia is right next door to us but never been, one of these days we'll do the maritime provinces... :) if you like rustic camping come with us next year to the Bluenose Rally in Kentville NS

safecracker
07-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Did you arrive in Nova Scotia,yet? keep us posted. Wife and I will be N.S., 10 days from now. This Saturday we leave for Quebec city, then we go around the Gaspe'.

Ivorspyder
07-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Did you arrive in Nova Scotia,yet? keep us posted. Wife and I will be N.S., 10 days from now. This Saturday we leave for Quebec city, then we go around the Gaspe'.
We took the ferry from St Johns,New Brunswick to Digby,Nova Scotia yesterday.Apart from our 8 bikes there must have been another 30 bikes or so.Crossing was smooth took 3 hrs.We arrived Digby at 3pm.We then set off for Yarmouth approx 70 miles away riding the coast road on the North coast.Nice pleasant ride.Nice nhotel, nice dinner.
This morning we left the hotel at 6.30am and rode the Lighthouse trail all the way to Halifax/Dartmouth where we are staying tonight.The weather has been great 75degrees and Sunny.
The ryde was fabulous along the South coast.Dozens of bays.The road twists and turns all over the place so great riding and spectacular ocean views all day.We stopped at Peggy's Cove,famous and a great little bay.This is where a Swissair flight went down in 1998 with 220 souls on board.There is a memorial there to them.
Tomorrow we head for Port Hawkebury.

safecracker
07-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a great trip so far. Keep us updated! Bruce

NovaSpyder
07-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Glad to hear you are having a great trip. I am in Nova Scotia, you will pass by Antigonish tomorrow, where I am now, unfortunately I can't ryde tomorrow. You will really enjoy the Cabot Trail. We did that last week. Had some video but having internet problems.

MouthPiece
07-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Ivor, you didn't mention the beer you had early evening. Tsk tsk. I know you're having a great time. Please ride safely.

Chris

lookerjdc
07-18-2013, 09:10 AM
THanks for the updates Ivor - safe ryde and its sound likes a lot of fun

photos please :)

Ivorspyder
07-20-2013, 03:06 PM
We stayed a night in Dartmouth.Next morning it was raining.We rode to Port Hawkesbury on Cape Breton Island.Stayed in a great hotel. Next morning did a 150 mile scenic twist ride alongside the lake where we had to take a ferry to get to our destination Baddeck.The ride was along the Brea d,or lake.Today a day off.A tour of the Alexander Graham Bell museum and then the whole group went on a sailboat sailing.Nice day good wind.
Tomorrow we ride the entire famous Cabot Trail.
Pics above view from the hotel,bikes on ferry and on the road.

iv

MouthPiece
07-20-2013, 06:38 PM
First, Ivor, you need to get someone to take a pic of you on your lovely spyder. Second, is the person who has the yellow RT-S telling all the inquring folks that "yellow is faster"??? ;););)

Looks like you're having a great time. I'm envious.

Chris

lookerjdc
07-20-2013, 06:58 PM
looks like a lot of fun

keep the updates coming

and thanks Ivor!!

Ivorspyder
07-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies.Today we rode the famous Cabot Trail.All I can say is spectacular.One of the best roads I have ever ridden.Here are pics.Tomorrow we start the 2000 mile trek home.

MouthPiece
07-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies.Today we rode the famous Cabot Trail.All I can say is spectacular.One of the best roads I have ever ridden.Here are pics.Tomorrow we start the 2000 mile trek home.

There he is!!!! Have a safe trip back and make sure you "smell the roses".

Chris

safecracker
07-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Ivor, which way did you take the Cabot Trail, Clockwise or counterclockwise? Hope this question makes since. I have been told to go

Ivorspyder
07-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Ivor, which way did you take the Cabot Trail, Clockwise or counterclockwise? Hope this question makes since. I have been told to go
We did it counter clockwise.That way the side of the road you are riding is on the outside.
It was a really good ryde.

Ivorspyder
07-27-2013, 06:48 PM
We crossed into New Brunwick and saw the Tidal Bore.Very impressive.From there we took all back roads to Maine.Great ride.
From Lewiston Maine left the group and headed home
to Florida.1600 miles all busy interstate riding but made it home today.4600 miles riding and 900 miles riding the car train going up.
Good to be home.

safecracker
07-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Ivor, did you meet alot of bikes on your trip around N.S.? What places to stay would you recommend. Thanks for any info. Bruce

vtrider
07-28-2013, 02:14 AM
We stayed a night in Dartmouth.Next morning it was raining.We rode to Port Hawkesbury on Cape Breton Island.Stayed in a great hotel. Next morning did a 150 mile scenic twist ride alongside the lake where we had to take a ferry to get to our destination Baddeck.The ride was along the Brea d,or lake.Today a day off.A tour of the Alexander Graham Bell museum and then the whole group went on a sailboat sailing.Nice day good wind.
Tomorrow we ride the entire famous Cabot Trail.
Pics above view from the hotel,bikes on ferry and on the road.

iv I've been to Nova Scotia several years ago and it is a very nice place to visit. The scenic beauty through the Cabot Trail is breathtaking. I certainly would like to go back someday. Enjoy your trip! :thumbup:

Ivorspyder
07-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Ivor, did you meet alot of bikes on your trip around N.S.? What places to stay would you recommend. Thanks for any info. Bruce
Saw a few Spyders each day.I would recommend Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail.Also the coastal ride which included Peggy's Cove.

kentompkins
08-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Here they are on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66459437@N02/sets/72157634818041424/

The tidal bore at Moncton was especially impressive.

kt

SPYDERGUY1
08-02-2013, 09:27 PM
We did the Cabot trail 2 years ago for our 25th anniversry, we had truck,trailer, and spyder. The day we went was so freaking foggy, we decided to take the truck. good thing as a couple of HUGE Moose popped out on the road higher elevations. All was good. Kinda sad did not get to do it on the spyder. The tidal bore is something else to see. World's highest tides. AWESOME. When in the area, also check out Magnetic hill ( did it on the spyder ) also something very cool. All in all very nice country, no regrets, would definetly go back if given the chance. Good luck and have fun.

StillKickin
08-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Here they are on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66459437@N02/sets/72157634818041424/

kt

That tidal bore was awesome wasn't it! Never seen anything like it. Great pics! So how was your trip home after you peeled off? William and I got a bit wet, had to stop and buy some more rain gear. Rode Skyline Drive which was nice. It was good to meet you and ride with you. Glad you made it home safe. Hope to see you on the road again in the not too distant future.
Bill

Ivorspyder
08-03-2013, 08:16 AM

kt
Great pictures Ken.Thanks for posting them.:firstplace: