PDA

View Full Version : Safety First!

Robertsepolen
07-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I am a bit of a safety nut. Not fanatical, but I would hate to have something happen because I "just didn't bother."
But I violated a firm rule the other day and just about paid dearly. We made a turn into cross traffic in front of an oncoming car and just missed getting hit! We looked, but we did not see! This was clearly a fatigue factor. The reason it is alarming is because I violated our "two hour" rule and had driven longer than I usually would. Fatigue creeps up on you gradually and alertness diminishes gradually. Add that to the situation where you're trying to negotiate traffic and watch addresses at the same time and you have a recipe for disaster.
From now on I will use the clock and I will stop at certain intervals no matter how fatigued or refreshed I might feel.
Going to count my blessings and keep riding!

ARtraveler
07-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Thank's for the reminder. Good stuff to ponder. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Thank goodness that it was "only" a close call! :shocked:
And thank you for reminding all of us! :thumbup:

Firefly
07-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah.. about 2 hours and you're ready to fill up your tank anyways,

I get sleepy sometimes on the highways... they just seem hypnotic.

Various things I'll do to wake myself back up..... change of music, chatting with another rider if I've got my headset going, etc.

But one thing I've done recently when riding alone and I got a bit sleepy was to stand up on the footpegs for a bit. Yup... stand right up... lean forward a bit and get the whole effect of the wind hitting my head and torso... just for a short period helps wake me back up. Probably looks goofy as hell, but I don't care... it stretches me out, gets me standing and the rush of air wakes me up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Ledford
07-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Been there, done that and wore the t-shirt out. I still make my rest, wiggle and stretches on the hour mark.

Back when I was commuting between Daytona Beach and Jacksonville I would take an stop in St Augustine and drop the intra-mail off at the FL Guard Hq which was about half way and many times when it was hot I would find myself starting to feel like nodding off an that was not good on a GW. Many times I would just pull off at a rest stop and splash my BDUs with water to stay alert in the summer months. Never a problem in the winter months....

Bob Denman
07-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Dan,
:agree: A good stretch now and then helps to get the blood flowing to all of the numb places... :shocked:
...Like my head! :D
*BING*
Then I go find some Ozzy Osbourne in the IPod!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFJ80Mqyas http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_65.gif
If you can't wake up to this; you're already in the middle of a dirt nap!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_208.gif

Firefly
07-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Ozzy? I would have pegged you for a BING! Crosby fan. Lol

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 07:02 AM
What I listen to; simply isn't fit for Human consumption... :shocked:
Fortunately; my ears are the auditory equivalent of a Billy Goat's gut! nojoke
Bing? :roflblack:
*BING*

Mickay
07-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Ozzy also on ipod on a ride, the new god Black Sabbath album 13. The good old black sabbath sound.

Bob Denman
07-15-2013, 02:32 PM
What did you think of "DeHumanizer"? :shocked: