PDA

View Full Version : BRP Tank Bag leaving stains in yellow paint

Spyderman1330
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Just took off my tank bag to spray it with a silicone waterproofing spray and it has left a stain in the yellow paint. I first tried a wax then rubbing compound and it still did not remove the stain that is embedded in the paint. Anyone else have this problem?

csmead
06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes!!!
We have no idea what to do about it. I have tried several things but I am in no hurry to ruin the paint, so I just put the tank bag back on!

ALIEN
06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Try GOOF-OFF. If you continue to use your tank bag apply a thin film of clear acetete, or even clear shipping tape onto the areas of contact. Good luck

bjt
06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm surprised dltang hasn't chimed in on this. ::)

I saw her putting a small microfiber towel under her tank bag one day and I asked her what it was for. She told me that the BRP tank bag ws starting to leave marks on her Spyder and she put the towel there to stop it before it got too noticeable. As far as I know, that is working for her. I don't know if she tried to get the marks out or if she was successful at it.

bc1540
06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
This is NOT a stain on your paint guys. This is caused by moisture drawn up into the plastic beneath the paint which is discoloring the paint. The tank bags got wet (Americade anyone?) this trapped water under the bag and it eventually was absorbed by the painted plastic. Any amount of rubbing will not cure this as it is not on top of the paint. It will fade when dried out but may not dissappear completely...

Lamonster
06-18-2008, 08:13 PM
This is NOT a stain on your paint guys. This is caused by moisture drawn up into the plastic beneath the paint which is discoloring the paint. The tank bags got wet (Americade anyone?) this trapped water under the bag and it eventually was absorbed by the painted plastic. Any amount of rubbing will not cure this as it is not on top of the paint. It will fade when dried out but may not dissappear completely...

That's good to know. I've never like the idea of a tank bag for this very reason.

NancysToy
06-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Ours did it, too. Very noticeable at first, when wet, but hard to spot now. It is on the list to complain to the dealer as a warranty issue, but since they have not resolved the previous warranty issues in two months, I doubt that will do any good. I will attach some foam rubber to the bottom, similar to other tank bags, and see what that does. I worry about the microfiber towel, if the problem is moisture related, but it is an interesting idea. Never thought of that, although I use those things by the dozens.
-Scotty

bc1540
06-19-2008, 06:24 AM
The rubber may do the trick and you should probably get some highway bars for your ride , you look way too cramped... ;D

NancysToy
06-19-2008, 07:20 AM
The rubber may do the trick and you should probably get some highway bars for your ride , you look way too cramped... ;D

Take another look, those are highway pegs. The front forks are about as far forward as I could put them. ;D
Scotty

LittleJohn
06-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Take another look, those are highway pegs. The front forks are about as far forward as I could put them. ;D
Scotty

Some people just can't seem to find a bike that fits them properly.....LOL

Zerocool
06-19-2008, 08:04 AM

Then one would hope that BRP would figure out a way to seal the plastic undercoating, to prevent water from affecting the paint, in their next model ;-)

NancysToy
06-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Some people just can't seem to find a bike that fits them properly.....LOL

We just must be too tall. LOL
-Scotty

Smylinacha
06-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Lighter fluid? I'm saying that because when I got sap and dirt on my Harley which wouldn't come off I put a teeny bit of lighter fluid (per the hubby) on a microfiber cloth and it came right out.

Then I had ink on my couch - that took it right out too.

Maybe it will work on the Spyder.

sabunim5
06-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Lighter fluid can do bad things :'( to clear coat and plastic. :nojoke:
sabunim5 :spyder:

Napalmseth
06-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Lighter fluid can do bad things :'( to clear coat and plastic. :nojoke:
sabunim5 :spyder:
:agree: :agree: :agree:

I use lighter fluid to smooth out petroleum based carving waxes for casting... Lighter Fluid+Plastic=BAD