PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION OF ETIQUETT

sealfloorboards
07-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Is it appropriate to fly a 3'x5' American Flag for everyday riding?

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

samewok
07-12-2013, 07:37 PM
I beleave it is ok. I do with one American and one Air Force.

asp125
07-12-2013, 07:40 PM
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Spyder_Cowgirl
07-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

John ... that's a pretty big flag for every day riding! I know our PGR members that fly the "big flags" on their bikes during processions often find it is difficult because of the wind load on the flag. Even if there are no cross winds, it is rare for them to exceed 50 to 55 MPH ... of course, they are not on a stable platform like the spyder ... so that might make a difference.

Spydercowboy and I have 9" x 11" flags that we fly most of the time ... when not unfurled, they are in a custom made case so they don't get dirty.

Ride safe ... Ann

Oldmanzues
07-12-2013, 08:01 PM

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards
I believe it would be okay, but I also agree it could be a problem with handling and pole breaking. There a lot of strain on the pole when the flag is flying. I use the SCIC (?, SL vendor) tall license plate mounts to fly a American and another flag most of the time. This is not real cheap mount, but is very good. Mine has been on there for several thousand miles. I believe these are 11 x 14. I do fly a big Flag on Missions and keep it cased at other times it is mounted.
I apply Fray-edge to the trailing edge of all my flags. It does not seem to discolor the flags, but makes the edge stay "good" a lot longer. I get mine at Wal Mart in the sewing section.
Oldmanzues

sealfloorboards
07-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks all for the info. I'm testing a couple of exciting new Seal products and will have more on them soon. Although it's hard on any flag or banner, I was riding comfortably at 75 mph today with it on the back of my RT. This would not be normal behavior, but I was totally unaware of it on the back. No problem. Going on a group ride with it tomorrow. Continuing to.......

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

SPYD3R
07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
DUH........................... :hun:
YES..... :ohyea:

Mayhem
07-12-2013, 08:58 PM
The flagpole breaking is a real concern. I was on a mission last year when the wind was gusting to 50mph and the pvc pole on the bike in front of me snapped. It broke in the middle of the flag so it was flapping around pretty good. I backed off in a hurry so as not to get impaled but it took the guy a while to notice the problem and pull over.

Motorcycledave
07-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Each and every work uniform shirt used here in our shop has OUR AMERICAN FLAG
on it, most if not all police & fire dept uniforms also have them so I say go for it...
Viva la AMERICA
Dave:thumbup:

The flagpole breaking is a real concern. I was on a mission last year when the wind was gusting to 50mph and the pvc pole on the bike in front of me snapped. It broke in the middle of the flag so it was flapping around pretty good. I backed off in a hurry so as not to get impaled but it took the guy a while to notice the problem and pull over.

sealfloorboards
07-12-2013, 10:04 PM

The flagpole I have is a 1" wooden dowel, I would never attempt that speed with PVC. But as I said, this is more field testing than a way of life.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

tobor9
07-12-2013, 11:40 PM
I fly 4 small (11x14) flags all the time, but would love to be able to fly a big flag or two for PGR missions if you come up with a mount that would work on a RS.

Blue Star
07-13-2013, 12:08 AM
I fly 4 small (11x14) flags all the time, but would love to be able to fly a big flag or two for PGR missions if you come up with a mount that would work on a RS.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?44523-Flag-holders-for-Patriot-Guard-3-x-5-Flags&highlight=flag+pole post number 7 shows how I flew a big flag from my RS. You will need the after market hitch sold on eBay.

Chupaca
07-13-2013, 12:50 AM
now you got folks interested..when will the testing be done and add to your line..?? :ohyea:

kawakii
07-13-2013, 01:29 AM
I think that sticking to smaller flags for everyday riding is more appropriate but if you can make the pole strong enough and people feel like flying a bigger flag e very day to each their own. My only concern is safety and lo g term wear on the pole with a flag that big.

Oldmanzues
07-13-2013, 01:33 AM
The flagpole I have is a 1" wooden dowel, I would never attempt that speed with PVC. But as I said, this is more field testing than a way of life.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards
Okay, you got my attension. Waiting see what is coming. I ride a RT with a factory hitch. I use a wooden (Ash hoe handle) from Home Depot. I also used vertical strips of filiment tape on the pole.
Oldmanzues

GloryRyders
07-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Now you have my interest also.................we have an RT with BRP hitch also and would want something even if it was for PGR missions only!:popcorn:

captblack
07-13-2013, 05:57 AM
A good idea, John, is to have a good solid mount that we can rely on at highway speeds. A couple of things I would think about for everyday riding ... First, in everyday riding there is a possibility that the flag could block your tail lights and turn signals - not good! Another thing I think about is the condition of the flag. No matter how good the quality, flags get dirty and damaged. NOTHING irritates me more than to see someone displaying a flag that is covered in road grime and is tattered. I feel that any respect that is intended is nullified when the flag is in bad condition. I have even offered to cut a damaged flag off of a bike and properly dispose of it ... that got the rider's attention and he replaced it, post haste!

Personally, I use the new Rivco mounts (trunk) with 11 x 15 flags for everyday use. I would love a good, solid and safe mount for PGR missions so please keep us informed of your progress.

By the way ... Love my Seal Pups!!! Keep up the great work!

sealfloorboards
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Be patient, my friends. I've got some very exciting things in the works:clap: but I won't offer anything until I'm confident it's as good as it gets. The Seal name is too important to me and so are my customers :lecturef_smilie:.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards