PDA

View Full Version : How to improve ground clearance on 2013 RSS?

Michou
07-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi, we have both an RS 2012 and an RSS 2013, I having a real hard time with scraping when I hit bumps on the RSS 2013 (where the RS 2012 clears just fine). I have a friend who installed the BajaRon sway bar as well as Elka shocks and a relocator, this raised his Spyder (RT 2010), so I asked him about the relocator and he inquired from where he got it and it wont work on an RSS 2013. Does anyone have any suggestions to increase the ground clearance of the RSS 2013? For now I will try to adjust the front shocks so that they are stiffer therefore less bounce. This issue is ruining my front nose and I don't want to dish out 250$ to replace it until I can get this issue fixed, unfortunately the roads here in Quebec are not like the roads I experienced at Maggie Valley this year :)

Thanks

Mike
2013 RSS Owner
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

asp125
07-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Bumpskid? Taller tires?

Michou
07-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah, maybe I should have gone through with the Spyderpop bumbskid plate while at Lamonsters this year but the wait was too long :( Thanks for your feedback.

ARCTIC
07-12-2013, 12:22 PM
The bump skid isn't going to increase your clearance

Bob Denman
07-12-2013, 12:32 PM
There were some reports of 2013s being sold with shocks that weren't any good..
You might want to have your dealer make sure that they're doing the job in fine fashion!
Good luck; let us know what they find! :thumbup:

BajaRon
07-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Personally I would not want to increase the ground clearance. It can create a number of other issues. Instead, what you need is better front end control. Chances are, if you improve the sway bar, make sure your shocks are working correctly, put a bump skid on for the few times when this doesn't do the job, you'll be much better off.

The shock relocators will not work on the 2013's. Besides, they are already built in on this model year.

Michou
07-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks BajaRon, I thought that the swaybar on the 2013 was already "bigger" then previous models. Do you have any suggestions as to what products would achieve what you suggest?

Thanks
Mike

BajaRon
07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks BajaRon, I thought that the swaybar on the 2013 was already "bigger" then previous models. Do you have any suggestions as to what products would achieve what you suggest?

Thanks
Mike

The sway bar on the 2013 RSS is bigger than before. All of the other applications remain the same. The problem is with the RS, ST, STS, ST Ltd., and even the RSS, the sway bar is still to light. The RSS is better, but just better.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell another sway bar. But you change the entire geometry of the suspension when you raise the front end up enough to make a real difference. You really should have the front end re-aligned to correct for the raised front end if you go that route.

Also, when you raise the front end you raise the center of gravity which means it will not handle as well.

Bob Denman
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
:shocked: That's right...
the new suspension setup can have it's alignment affected by ride height changes... :shocked:
I still think that having your shocks checked out by the dealer; making sure that they're functioning as planned, would be a good idea.

billrob71
07-19-2013, 12:01 PM
If you have a RSS you have fox shocks did you try and adjust the spring a little tighter ?? That will make it a little stiffer and may not bottom out as easy but it will make the suspension stiffer and will ride a little harder

Chupaca
07-19-2013, 12:43 PM
the fox shocks on the 2013's are much shorter than the 2012 RS..The re-locator blocks don't work nor would they help. The only way would be longer shocks. Tightening the tension will help with the dipping down but will not raise your front end...:dontknow:

Michou
07-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I just got back from the dealer who adjusted the shocks to the stiffest possible, I'll see how it handles and I'll go to the same places where I hit and see how it behaves.

Thanks Again
Mike