PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the cord....

shelbydave
07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
We've come to a point where TV is so unimportant that I have a hard time justifying the cost of cable anymore.
Since I work from home and require a high speed internet service, I do use the cable for roadrunner. We do have a DSL service in the area, but it really sucks, and they make up for that with offshore customer service.

How many have "cut the cord"?, and how did you do it?

Since I have structured wiring throughout the house, I was thinking of getting a digital antenna with amplifier, and just running that through the existing cables.

Bob Denman
07-12-2013, 10:18 AM
This might be a bit extreme... :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDLeFlealbI

MidLifeCrisis
07-12-2013, 11:10 AM
With a good quality HD antenna in the attic, The highest bandwidth available for Internet connection, and AppleTV, GoogleTV or ROKU and a PC, all connected to the TV. AppleTV, to stream everything from my library, since I have Apple infrastructure already, GoogleTV, or ROKU to do what AppleTV can't do and PC for what the other two can't do. I created shortcuts on the desktop of my PC for all the streamed shows I'm interested in, so I don't have to search for each one. In most cases, the latest episode plays with one click and another to go full screen. I use a Logitec bluetooth Keyboard and mouse combo to make things a bit easier to manage on the PC, and the others have their own fairly easy to use remotes.

History, ABC, NBC, CBS, HGTV and tons of other stations stream their content, so with a bit of patience and time, you can setup a pretty nice a la cart media center. There are other things like Boxee and others that you can set up DVR type services, but I haven't gone that route.

None are without their issues, but then again, neither is cable or satellite.

jerpinoy
07-12-2013, 11:32 AM
This might be a bit extreme... :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDLeFlealbI

They are trying to get rid of the mosquitoes.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

shelbydave
07-12-2013, 11:37 AM
With a good quality HD antenna in the attic, The highest bandwidth available for Internet connection, and AppleTV, GoogleTV or ROKU and a PC, all connected to the TV. AppleTV, to stream everything from my library, since I have Apple infrastructure already, GoogleTV, or ROKU to do what AppleTV can't do and PC for what the other two can't do. I created shortcuts on the desktop of my PC for all the streamed shows I'm interested in, so I don't have to search for each one. In most cases, the latest episode plays with one click and another to go full screen. I use a Logitec bluetooth Keyboard and mouse combo to make things a bit easier to manage on the PC, and the others have their own fairly easy to use remotes.

History, ABC, NBC, CBS, HGTV and tons of other stations stream their content, so with a bit of patience and time, you can setup a pretty nice a la cart media center. There are other things like Boxee and others that you can set up DVR type services, but I haven't gone that route.

None are without their issues, but then again, neither is cable or satellite.

Thanks! I currently have a WDTV Live Hub, and GoogleTV. I'm searching for a decent HD antenna for the attic. I just needed to see if anyone else was doing something similar, as I'd be splitting the signal to multiple rooms.

Do you go to the sites themselves, or is there a streaming service that you use?

Bob Denman
07-12-2013, 12:01 PM
They are trying to get rid of the mosquitoes.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

that wouldn't be nearly enough dynamite up in the Adirondacks... :yikes:
The smallest ones are two inches... between the eyeballs! :shocked:

Cavman
07-12-2013, 12:01 PM
When the system went digital, I didn't. I also don't have cable and I cancelled my DISH years ago. I watch a few selected shows on my iPad through HuluPlus and other web links. Sometimes I watch TV shows on a computer.

Dustybell
07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
We ditched Directv about a year ago. We have an antenna for local channels and a roku box and a $8.00 monthly netflix subscription. Also just hook the laptop up to the tv to watch hulu free and other sites that stream programs. We have found more than enough to keep us entertained. In fact, my husband has been having fun catching up on the sons of anarchy series, and watching Rockford Files. :D

Blue Star
07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
We've come to a point where TV is so unimportant that I have a hard time justifying the cost of cable anymore.
Since I work from home and require a high speed internet service, I do use the cable for roadrunner. We do have a DSL service in the area, but it really sucks, and they make up for that with offshore customer service.

How many have "cut the cord"?, and how did you do it?

Since I have structured wiring throughout the house, I was thinking of getting a digital antenna with amplifier, and just running that through the existing cables.

TV: Been over four years without any TV service. I will watch a DVD (redbox), and just recently started up Netflix when in the mood to watch something.

Why: Did this because I did not care what the kids were watching when I was not home.

Adjustment: Get used to people looking at you strange when they ask if you saw ____ on TV, and you say no "I don't have TV". You have to search (and find what you want to know, not what you are told) for current events and news.

Advantages: No more junk on the TV that I do not agree on seeing. More time to ride, and if you ever post something to me on Facebook I will reply REALLY fast to it.

Dis-advantage: Better not like watching sports (could be an advantage).

Do I miss having TV? I will let you know after I get back from my ride :yes:

MidLifeCrisis
07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks! I currently have a WDTV Live Hub, and GoogleTV. I'm searching for a decent HD antenna for the attic. I just needed to see if anyone else was doing something similar, as I'd be splitting the signal to multiple rooms.

Do you go to the sites themselves, or is there a streaming service that you use?

GoogleTV has a "compatible" site called tvliner.com, but I've often wondered compatible with what!? It's a huge pain.:mad: There are supposed to be others as well, but I just found it easier just to go to the site CBS, NBC, etc., find the show and create a short cut, or add to favorites, or whatever you prefer to access in the future.

As mentioned here, you can watch shows on iPad and Adroid devices as well and they are easy enough to connect to the HDMI port on the TV with a cable. I kinda like keeping my iPad close by, so it's about the only thing I haven't connected to the TV.

ARtraveler
07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
I still have my cable TV and have the "usual" bunch of channels with a premium package. (100 or so).

Sat TV does not work well here when the sky is overcast or the weather is bad--so--not an option for me.

I do consider current TV to be a wasteland of junk and misinformation. You cant even trust History or Nat Geo these days.

I do have a great collection of VHS tapes with classic, sci fi, and other great movies that I like. Many times, I find myself going there when I can't find a single thing worth watching on the 100 channels.

I am thinking I should be spending more time playing my guitars and keeping up my skills there. I do get a :ani29: fix daily, but that is for six months of the year. The rest of the time, there is snow on the ground.

wyliec
07-12-2013, 03:02 PM
We ditched Directv about a year ago. We have an antenna for local channels and a roku box and a $8.00 monthly netflix subscription. Also just hook the laptop up to the tv to watch hulu free and other sites that stream programs. We have found more than enough to keep us entertained. In fact, my husband has been having fun catching up on the sons of anarchy series, and watching Rockford Files. :D

Since you mentioned roku, if you ever want to watch youtube on your tv, you can use PLEX (a free download) and make it one of your channels on roku. However, it's easier said than done. After many hours of trying to get it to work, I gave up. The next day I was going to remove PLEX; but, gave it one more shot and I got it to work. It also works with iTunes music and movies.

draboo
07-15-2013, 03:36 AM
We ditched the cable tv 2 years ago. Now it's Netflix/Amazon/Hulu with Roku.

I am a huge fan of Onslow! He is my mentor! He even donns a Packer shirt once in a while! (If you're into Britsh humor, you will know Onslow):thumbup:

shelbydave
07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Well, I decided that since we have all new TV's with the digital receivers, that I would start by taking my DVR, and Cable box down. I figured that would save me the $20/month rental I was paying for a start. When I went to turn them in, the kind lady asked if I was exchanging, or turning in... I said Turning in. My bill has gone up again, and I can do without these boxes. She then proceeds to tell me that by turning both boxes in, my bill would go UP...:shocked:. I then explained that we do not watch much TV anymore, and asked if they offered just internet. I guess by asking that, it prompted her to find me another promotion, so I walked out with a cable box, and added voicemail to my service, for $50 less than what I was paying. This promotion is for a year, and the price is down where I can pay it without getting too angry.

I was ready to get rid of everything but internet, but the missuss reminded me that we need the phone at the moment, since our oldest daughter does her dialysis at home, and needs the ability to fax in her data.

stillriding
07-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Well, I decided that since we have all new TV's with the digital receivers, that I would start by taking my DVR, and Cable box down. I figured that would save me the $20/month rental I was paying for a start. When I went to turn them in, the kind lady asked if I was exchanging, or turning in... I said Turning in. My bill has gone up again, and I can do without these boxes. She then proceeds to tell me that by turning both boxes in, my bill would go UP...:shocked:. I then explained that we do not watch much TV anymore, and asked if they offered just internet. I guess by asking that, it prompted her to find me another promotion, so I walked out with a cable box, and added voicemail to my service, for $50 less than what I was paying. This promotion is for a year, and the price is down where I can pay it without getting too angry.

I was ready to get rid of everything but internet, but the missuss reminded me that we need the phone at the moment, since our oldest daughter does her dialysis at home, and needs the ability to fax in her data.

It looks like Time Warner is your provider. Every year I have to fight when their "promo" ends and I face a huge price increase. I've never hated doing business with any other company for any service or product more than with Time Warner. They're the "only game in town" and they know it. If it weren't for a two-year agreement with huge cancellation penalities, I'd try Direct TV.

shelbydave
07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
It looks like Time Warner is your provider. Every year I have to fight when their "promo" ends and I face a huge price increase. I've never hated doing business with any other company for any service or product more than with Time Warner. They're the "only game in town" and they know it. If it weren't for a two-year agreement with huge cancellation penalities, I'd try Direct TV.

I had DirectTV for about 10 years, and would still have it if it wasn't for Windstream having such a crappy DSL, and customer service. I moved to TW for internet, and they offered me a "bundle" that was cheaper than keeping my original phone, and DTV.

From a picture standpoint, DirectTV has a far superior picture quality, and as far as "rain fade" that the cable company eludes to, I had less loss of signal in 10 years with DirectTV, than I have had with 2 years of cable... Cable has nothing over DirecTV, at least in my area.