PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire for 09 RS

SpyderRx
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I have close to 10,000 miles on my RS now and will be going on a big trip in September. My tire is getting pretty worn in the center so I plan on changing before my trip. Which tire should I go with and why? Have read about hydroplaning with the kuhmo but didn't know if that is isolated to a few. I don't mind paying an extra$100 for an OEM if it is safer. What do y'all think?

Bob Denman
07-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I tried a Falken ZE 912, and got an extra 1000 miles of it; compared to the OEM
I'm trying a Kumho now; time will tell...
There's all sorts of rear tires that you can put on the Spyders... Happy Hunting! :D :thumbup:

johnboyjohn.pretious
07-11-2013, 01:53 PM
If your tyre is wearing in the centre, it is probably inflated too hard !!!!

SpyderRx
07-11-2013, 04:15 PM
If your tyre is wearing in the centre, it is probably inflated too hard !!!!

Running at 28 PSI since I bought it 11 months ago with 1,980 miles on it.

BajaRon
07-11-2013, 05:01 PM
If your tyre is wearing in the centre, it is probably inflated too hard !!!! Not really, it's more due to the 2 ply tread area not being able to hold its shape with proper inflation at higher speeds. Any tire will hydroplane under the right conditions. Some easier than others. You want to get a tire with very good wet traction capabilities.

Bob Denman
07-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Not really, it's more due to the 2 ply tread area not being able to hold its shape with proper inflation at higher speeds. Any tire will hydroplane under the right conditions. Some easier than others. You want to get a tire with very good wet traction capabilities.
:agree: Too much pressure, and you wear out the center tread... too little pressure, and it balloons at speed; you STILL wear out the center tread! :gaah:

Warlock
07-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I have close to 10,000 miles on my RS now and will be going on a big trip in September. My tire is getting pretty worn in the center so I plan on changing before my trip. Which tire should I go with and why? Have read about hydroplaning with the kuhmo but didn't know if that is isolated to a few. I don't mind paying an extra$100 for an OEM if it is safer. What do y'all think?
My buddy Tim just got a Falken 912 and suppose to put on his. The 912 is a nice tire.
david

WackyDan
07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Toyo Proxes here. I had the Kuhmo on last time... kuhmo was greasy on wet roads and with just a little wear it likes to float in the rain.

I ran that Toyo in some heavy rain during the owner's event... It is super sticky dry, great on wet roads, and never once lifted in standing water.