PDA

View Full Version : Track day

elixermixer
07-10-2013, 08:02 PM
So I know I asked this a few years ago when I first acquired my spyder but now that there is a bigger spyder population I figured I would bring it up again.
has anyone done a motorcycle track day on the spyder?
i never got around to it as I originally did some leg work and some places seemed willing to work with me but I never got the whole FULL gear storm trooper outfit so I never went to one.
How about all of you?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Have you been under a ROCK ? ? ?.....They had a " Hugh " one at Spyderfest 2013.................3 hrs. + of unlimited DRAG RACING....I consider that a Track Day :2excited:....:agree:.....Mike

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 08:20 PM
I put out a couple of feelers to a privately-ownd track outside of Monticello, NY, but they never answered my inquiries...:gaah:

asp125
07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I think for the most part, they (track owners) are not familiar enough with Spyders and the unknown potential for flipping one. Of course it's as likely to flip as a two wheeler to go down. Compared to bikes though, I think the number of Spyder owners wanting to track (not drag race) their rides is pretty small. Besides, I'd rather drag knee on my bikes, than even attempt to drag knee on a Spyder.

elixermixer
07-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Have you been under a ROCK ? ? ?.....They had a " Hugh " one at Spyderfest 2013.................3 hrs. + of unlimited DRAG RACING....I consider that a Track Day :2excited:....:agree:.....Mike
Nope knew about that but I had a different type in mind.
i put feelers out a few years ago as well and they seemed open to the idea and at the same time hesitant due to the unknowns of the spyder back then.
I just never addressed it and I know it generally is not suited to the spyder demographic but there is always a group interested in everything and anything.

pushrod243
07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Does the Dragon count?

Ga Blue Knight
07-11-2013, 06:13 AM
While not a track I think it should!

blacklightning
07-11-2013, 08:19 AM
I think a good place to give this a try would be at VIR (Virginia International Raceway). They have at least 2 charity events that our mustang club goes to. They allow just about anything on the track, but there is no passing. I have been there with 3 mustangs, and my lightning. Don't have any pictures of the roush on the track, but here are the other three.

asp125
07-11-2013, 10:40 AM
My reservation with the Spyder would be under hard left/right chicane transitions. If you've ever lifted the inside wheel imagine doing that first one way and then the other. At some point physics will still overrule the nanny and flip the thing.

bullant12
07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Doesn't Daytona Bike Week count? BRP gets the track for all avaliable owners in the area...
Also, the Spyder Ryder of America TN Valley Chapter got Barber Motorsports Museum and track to let us use their's last year. I understand we will try again for 2014 since logistics have not come fully planned for this year.

Bob Denman
07-11-2013, 10:51 AM
My reservation with the Spyder would be under hard left/right chicane transitions. If you've ever lifted the inside wheel imagine doing that first one way and then the other. At some point physics will still overrule the nanny and flip the thing.
I think that's called, "Natural Selection..." ;)
As a species; we've always found the best ways to bugger ourselves up... :shocked: Safety gear can't do it all! :yikes:

elixermixer
07-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Lets hope the dragon does not count as track riding and neither does a parade style lap on a track. I'm talking going out and pushing the spyder to the limits and yes even left right transitions (and yes I've lifted wheels).
Just a different type of riding as I am an avid race fan and as much fun as bikes seem in those environments I wasn't sure if anyone has done similar with the spyder.

asp125
07-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm a big proponent of track days. But not in the way that you think. Nobody wins a trophy or even a kiss from the umbrella girl at track days. It's a place where you can become one with your machine and learn to really ride it instead of just operating the controls. IIRC someone here posted a thread about attending a cornering clinic for trikes on his Spyder, and came away with a newfound skill set on getting the most out of his riding.

sinkhole
07-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Here's some video I shot at Barber Motorsports last year. During one of our events, SRA-TVC was able to get 5 laps on the Barber track in conjunction with another group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_7CVtpRzrM

ARCTIC
07-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Here's some video I shot at Barber Motorsports last year. During one of our events, SRA-TVC was able to get 5 laps on the Barber track in conjunction with another group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_7CVtpRzrM

Nice video.

cjackg
07-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Is there an event like that planned for this year ?

Bob Denman
07-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Nice video.
:agree: But it did occur to me, that a lot of folks on Spyders need some help finding apexes... :shocked:

asp125
07-12-2013, 07:48 PM
:agree: But it did occur to me, that a lot of folks on Spyders need some help finding apexes... :shocked:

Exactly why track instruction can benefit from proper instruction, as it will help make riding twisties that much better.

elixermixer
07-12-2013, 08:40 PM
:agree:

No one said it was about champagne trophies and the lack of umbrella girls :)

Bob Denman
07-13-2013, 07:10 AM
But knowing the basics about how to bend a bike into the twisties just makes riding more fun! :D

asp125
07-13-2013, 06:30 PM
But knowing the basics about how to bend a bike into the twisties just makes riding more fun! :D

.. and SAFER, since you learn how to approach the different type of corners: increasing radius, decreasing radius, on camber, off camber, double apex, etc. with the Spyder more under control.

sinkhole
07-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Bob, I know where the apex is, but it's hard to hit when you've got drivers on both sides that are just puttering along and daydreaming. I spent most of the time looking in the mirrors. :banghead:
It would have been nice to be able to run the track with fewer cycles, and not be limited by a pace vehicle.

Big Arm
07-13-2013, 07:35 PM
I don't mean to be posting for her, but one of our members here on Spyderlovers, has run the track days several times at Council Bluffs, Ia. She is 2spyders, from Lincoln, NE and one of her albums is pics of her track days, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=292 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=292)
Here is a link to the Mid America Motorplex home page.
http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp
I think this is more or less like the track your talking about.
Maybe 2spyders will see this thread, and post. or you could send her a PM.

Bob Denman
07-13-2013, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=sinkhole;656198]Bob, I know where the apex is, but it's hard to hit when you've got drivers on both sides that are just puttering along and daydreaming. I spent most of the time looking in the mirrors. :banghead:
QUOTE]
I could almost SMELL your frustration; you'd start into a turn lined up real nice... and then have to play dodgeball with those that didn't know why they were there... :gaah: :thumbup:

elixermixer
07-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Bob, I know where the apex is, but it's hard to hit when you've got drivers on both sides that are just puttering along and daydreaming. I spent most of the time looking in the mirrors. :banghead:
It would have been nice to be able to run the track with fewer cycles, and not be limited by a pace vehicle.

And that is a huge difference between a track day ride and a parade style lap.

elixermixer
07-14-2013, 12:29 AM
I don't mean to be posting for her, but one of our members here on Spyderlovers, has run the track days several times at Council Bluffs, Ia. She is 2spyders, from Lincoln, NE and one of her albums is pics of her track days, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=292 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=292)
Here is a link to the Mid America Motorplex home page.
http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp
I think this is more or less like the track your talking about.
Maybe 2spyders will see this thread, and post. or you could send her a PM.
That seems more what I mean. It would be interesting to hear how it was to mix it up with 2 wheelers

sinkhole
07-14-2013, 10:26 AM
I could almost SMELL your frustration; you'd start into a turn lined up real nice... and then have to play dodgeball with those that didn't know why they were there... :gaah: :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

There were several issues that wouldn't allow running a clean line. A pace truck that limited speed, other cycles running multiple lines with speeds that varied all over the lot. There were only a couple of areas where I felt safe accelerating past some of the other riders, and even then you couldn't run a clean line.

I realize that "track days" like these aren't meant for all out racing, but they sure make you want to... at least they do, me. ;)