' ball-point pens

Man had notyetinvented:

' pantyhose
' air conditioners
' dishwashers
' clothes dryers
' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/_com_android_email_attachmentprovider_1_3174_RAW@s ec.galaxytab

Your Grandfather and I got married first, and then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir."

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man
With a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and
Wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was
A bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with
Your cousins.

Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the
Evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the
Evenings and weekends — not purchasing condominiums.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/_com_android_email_attachmentprovider_1_3175_RAW@s ec.galaxytab
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CD's, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 &10-cent (5 and dime) stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, but who could
Afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,
' "coke" was a cold drink,
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
' "chip" meant a piece of wood,
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and.
' "software" wasn't even a word.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/_com_android_email_attachmentprovider_1_3176_RAW@s ec.galaxytab

We were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
We volunteered to protect our precious country.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

How old do you think I am?
Are youready????? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/_com_android_email_attachmentprovider_1_3177_RAW@s ec.galaxytab
This woman would be only 59 years old.
She would have been born in late 1952.

GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINKABOUT.

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 07:46 AM
:shocked: Thanks! :thumbup: I hadn't realized just how much has changed in only 61 years... :2thumbs:

Ga Blue Knight
07-10-2013, 07:49 AM
I'd like to see what happens in the next 61 years but it just may be too terrible to imagine!:banghead:

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 07:57 AM
The ever-accelerating pace at which things change sure seems daunting; doesn't it? :shocked:

Daisyjoe
07-10-2013, 08:14 AM
As I read this I kept thinking, I can remember this. I, too, was born in 1952. My how things have changed. Some better, but far to many for the worse. Enjoyed the post!

bcoulter19
07-10-2013, 08:45 AM
I take exception witone of these. My mother is 82 and has a polio shot that she got in elementary school.

Chupaca
07-10-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm a bit older than that and it is as it says..my daughter always asked me "how do you know all that" when doing things the "old fashion way". Because I'm old..not because I'm smart. Sadly, though the advances are sometimes unbelievable, we are probably the few left that would survive nicely if someone pulls the plug..someone should list all the things our youth have lost, hunting, fishing, cooking (from scratch) growing fruits and veggies, sewing, cleaning, playing outdoors all day and on and on..but as long as they have electric power they can do amazing things. Don't know what the future will bring but it's their world and they will have to live in it..now leave me alone in mine..I will keep the spyder..!! :roflblack:

Oldmanzues
07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
All very true. But, I am concerned about what is to come.
I do like to tell people, I spent V-J day in a bar. Rest of the story: I was 11 and staying with my Grandparents. they were having their glass of wine.
Oldmanzues

NancysToy
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Not absolutely accurate, but it does show how much the world has changed in our lifetimes.

For the record penicillin was discovered in 1928 and was in commercial production by the mid-1940s. Commercial televisions were available in the 1920s. These things may not have been mainstream by 1952, but they were around. I know I saw my first TV by 1951, and we owned one by 1954. TV stations did not run all day long at that time...just a few hours a day.

SPYDERFUZZ
07-10-2013, 12:13 PM
I go back to:

no electricity
no indoor plumbing
toilet paper was the Sears and Roebuck catalog (and hope you weren't down to the cover)
we milked cows by hand
drank raw milk (skimmed off the top if you wanted to whip it for your home made ice cream)
went to school (with horse and wagon my brother drove) where I was the smartest in my 4th grade class because I was the only one in the 4th grade. There were 6 grades an 11 students and one teacher
when it snowed real hard we walked it was 3 1/2 miles to school uphill both ways

I could go on and on 80 next birthday

ARtraveler
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Interesting reading and many points to think about. Coming from that era, it is very exciting and scarry to see how fast things have progressed.

My grandfather (born 1881 and died 1969) saw the invention of the car, the airplane, three wars (I, II, and Korean), the invention of the A and H bombs, the space program, and even saw man fly into space. I guess each generation has its particular milestones.

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 01:33 PM
It only becomes an issue when somebody tries to make it one...
Let it rest...

grumpybob
07-10-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ_Mz8ftqI

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Carly was beautiful, and had a voice like an Angel...
This one; not so much! :roflblack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWZJFy8VQQg
...But his message has an awful lot of truth in it! :thumbup:

grumpybob
07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
:agree: You got that right! Now what about James Taylor?

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Well he was lucky enough to be married to Carly for a while...
A good set of pipes on him, and he did have some hits that became "Anthemic"... :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwugjyeSKx4

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 05:46 PM
And his voice has gotten better over the years... :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kpXxxwYmbY

jerpinoy
07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Interesting reading and many points to think about. Coming from that era, it is very exciting and scarry to see how fast things have progressed.

My grandfather (born 1881 and died 1969) saw the invention of the car, the airplane, three wars (I, II, and Korean), the invention of the A and H bombs, the space program, and even saw man fly into space. I guess each generation has its particular milestones.

I asked my grandmother what year she was born, she said I'm not sure coz there were no calendar then. The day I was celebrating my debut, the church in town was being built. In 1969 the church centenial celebration was a blast. My grandmother died in 1971.

WV Spyder Ryder
07-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Wow, I guess you made me realize I'm getting there too. Think I'll have a beer instead off coffee this morning.:shemademe_smilie:

jwmcclellan
07-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Bored at work, so looked up most of the things that the grandmother was supposedly born before.

Television, dishwasher, clothes dryer, ballpoint pen, penicillin, frozen foods and the air conditioner were all invented before 1952. All according to Wikipedia.

The polio vaccine was first tested in 1952 but wasn't licensed for use until 1962.

btcherm
07-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Its not what it used to be ,thing have definitely changed over the years.:yikes::doorag: