PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe the Dealer

Doug
07-10-2013, 05:42 AM
Took my 2013 St Limited in for the 1k service, asked him about bulletins on the spyder, and he told me, that I would have it sent to me by mail from BRP if there were any. I thought brp would only send you recalls and bulletins would go to the dealer only:shocked:

boborgera
07-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Took my 2013 St Limited in for the 1k service, asked him about bulletins on the spyder, and he told me, that I would have it sent to me by mail from BRP if there were any. I thought brp would only send you recalls and bulletins would go to the dealer only:shocked:

''Your right'' dealer is mistaken....

BajaRon
07-10-2013, 07:19 AM
''Your right'' dealer is mistaken....

My 2 cents... Dealer is NOT mistaken. It's the mushroom tactic. They use it often because it almost always works. The customer walks away and the dealer didn't have to do anything.

The only way you can really trust your dealer is if you know more than they do about the subject. Not all dealers of course, but then, how do you know which kind you have?

Doug
07-10-2013, 07:33 AM
there has to be a way to get that info with out going thru the dealer :bowdown:

Ga Blue Knight
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
My dealer is of the I don't have a clue variety. I will find out about a bulletin here on SL then go to him to ask about it. He of course never heard about it but he will immediately call BRP then he will usually say something like "Wow, how did you find out about this?" I have known the manager for ten years, he's a friend so I know it's just that he's clueless and disorganized. I bet the bulletin was sent to him and his secretary files it or its sitting on a techs workbench. Since the techs are not BRP trained they may just chuck them in a corner. As you can imagine I just get my everyday parts through the parts department and drive 110 miles ( instead of the 4 miles ) to a reliable dealer with some sort of organization and two BRP certified techs for any BUDS checks. So far my RT has not needed any house calls other than oil changes.

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 07:50 AM
So far; my guy hasn't lied to me, and what he had said has checked out... :thumbup:
You do need to know more about the bike than they think you know; that way they won't dare try to pull the wool over your eyes... :shocked:

NancysToy
07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I feel my rash acting up again! Ron is right, it is an easy way to divert you. In some ways I don't blame the dealer, people read about a problem described in a service bulletin, and immediately either think they have the same symptoms (like sympathetic labor pains) or the want the work done regardless of whether it applies to their Spyder or not.

Here is a guide to the various types of documenation. Recalls are announced to owners of record via letters sent to each owner. The letter will describe the problem and the intended cure or inspection. These are safety issues, and the response is mandated by government regulations. Sometimes an owner will receive preliminary notification, followed later by a notice to come in and have the cure implemented.

Service Bulletins (Warranty Campaigns, Technical Service Bulletins & periodic firmware updates) that apply to an entire range of vehicles will show up on the computer when your dealer attaches your Spyder to BUDS. He can then address the uodates or repairs. This is a good reason to periodically obtain service from your dealer. A cooperative service advisor can also look up any outstanding TSBs or updates on his computer, using your VIN.

Other TSBs apply only for vehicles in a certain production range that are experiencing the described problem. Usually only a small percentage of the vehicle have these issues. Dealers don't typically address them unless the customer reports the problem. These are more obscure, and a dealer may have to consult the BRP Knowledge Base, keep up on the submittals sent by BRP in writing or via computer, or consult BRP dealer tech support before he is aware of an applicable bulletin or campaign. That is no excuse not to know they exist, or to assume they are sent to owners. Such an attitude is a cop out.

2 Cruysyn
07-10-2013, 08:37 AM
there has to be a way to get that info with out going thru the dealer

Lamont has given us a heads up a few times which has given me the advantage of knowing what I'm talking about when I visit the dealer. I prefer not to be a victim of the "mushroom tactic" Ron mentioned in post #3.

This is one place I go to for bulletins (http://www.spydertechnician.blogspot.com/). There is a Java thingie along the right edge of the window where you can open the "file cabinet" and select which year archives you're interested in. The archive for 2012 has more bulletins than anything else. For recall info I go to BRP (http://spyder.brp.com/owner-center/recall-informations?blogID=0be09df4-c615-4271-9b38-9e1700a19690).

Pennyrick
07-10-2013, 10:31 AM
My dealership has a dedicated Spyder tech but he often doesn't access the main computer in the service department on a regular basis. They handle seven brands of motorcycles (I still call my Spyder a Motorcycle), ATV's and watercraft so the service manager can't be expected to be on top of every service bulletin for every brand.

Periodically, my wife and I drop in to visit and have the VIN's on our Spyders run through the system. That let's us know if we are completely up to date. This doesn't take long and is a service provided by our dealer who handles all of our maintenance.

I think Spyder owners should get in the habit of doing this check every 3 months or so.

PS: It doesn't hurt to spring for pizzas in the service department while you are there.

Sarge707
07-10-2013, 11:36 AM
In the Past I have called BRP "Directly" with my vin# and have been provided with information concerning my Spyder and what needs to be done or has been done. Then you can go to your dealer and SEE? IF they tell you the same thing????:yikes:

NancysToy
07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
My dealership has a dedicated Spyder tech but he often doesn't access the main computer in the service department on a regular basis. They handle seven brands of motorcycles (I still call my Spyder a Motorcycle), ATV's and watercraft so the service manager can't be expected to be on top of every service bulletin for every brand.

Periodically, my wife and I drop in to visit and have the VIN's on our Spyders run through the system. That let's us know if we are completely up to date. This doesn't take long and is a service provided by our dealer who handles all of our maintenance.

I think Spyder owners should get in the habit of doing this check every 3 months or so.

PS: It doesn't hurt to spring for pizzas in the service department while you are there.

:agree: BTW, donuts work too.