PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Accident

crossbowme
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/07/08/news/aroostook/caribou-man-sent-to-emmc-after-motorcycle-crash/

No matter how safe the Spyder is it can't protect us from other drivers:pray:

finless
07-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Darn another one in 2 weeks :(

Here is the only thing I think should not be overlooked:

"Corbin, who was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, suffered injuries to his head and chest, according to the release."

I know some states do not require a helmet but in my opinion all should. We cannot protect ourselves from other drivers any other way.

Just my opinion.
Bob

reverendg
07-09-2013, 03:12 PM
I think everyone SHOULD wear a helmet but am opposed to governments telling us we MUST do so.

ABQAndy
07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
I think everyone SHOULD wear a helmet but am opposed to governments telling us we MUST do so.

I agree :agree:
I belong to a group called "Old Coots on Scoots" and I rarely see anyone riding with the group without a helmet. Helmets are not required in NM.

grumpybob
07-09-2013, 03:31 PM
I agree with wearing a helmet 100%

pondboss
07-09-2013, 04:04 PM
South Carolina riders aren't required to wear a helmet~ Seems like all the old codgers do and the young ones are bullet proof.Hope the Bullett Proof works. I wear mine everywhere I ride.

aka1004
07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
South Carolina riders aren't required to wear a helmet~ Seems like all the old codgers do and the young ones are bullet proof.Hope the Bullett Proof works. I wear mine everywhere I ride.

i see far far more older riders without a helmet than young ones. i rarely see kid on a crotch rocket without a helmet. its mostly old folks on harleys without a helmet. i don't know... i guess they figure they don't have much time anyway so they ride like they don't care. :)

finless
07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
I am not a proponent of government regulation. In fact many consider me the "red neck republican" of Southern California ;)
Yes I am a Republican and proud of it (rare for California too).

However, when the government allows total idiots that should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle, then something has to give. Then when you allow more idiots to get on cycles without helmets, well..... My sense is either Darwin awards or make them not make us pay the bills.

Sorry... not trying to get all political....

Bob

EnjoyingTheRyde
07-09-2013, 05:02 PM
...for Mr. Corbin

ARtraveler
07-09-2013, 05:05 PM
...for Mr. Corbin
:agree: x2

finless
07-09-2013, 05:07 PM
...for Mr. Corbin

Yes sorry..... I lost track.... Someone slap me...

Prayers for Mr. Corbin and sorry for the derail of this thread with my comments!

:pray::pray::pray:

Bob

jthornton
07-09-2013, 05:08 PM

:agree:

I'd bet most take their helmets off at the state line just because they hate being told that they have to wear one. I take mine off on the dirt road to my house... I only do 10-15 MPH on dirt roads.

JT

Yazz
07-09-2013, 05:14 PM
...for Mr. Corbin

:agree: :pray::pray:

jerpinoy
07-09-2013, 05:27 PM
We'll do what we have to. I just hate picking out bugs off my teeth. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

I always wear my helmet I don't about you.

Bob Denman
07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Prayers going out to Mr Corbin... :pray:

Daisyjoe
07-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Prayers!

Spyder ri
07-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Hope all is going to be alright. Prayers sent.

2012 RS SE5
Mods:

Oxford Hot Grips
Bad Boy Air Horn
Two Brothers Exhaust
K&N air filter
LED mud flap lights
Tips Kit
Brake Light Modulator
IPS Key Cover
Up/out mirror Extensions
RSS stitched seat cover
Cal Sci touring windshield
5 spoke wheel upgrade
Ram mount Iphone cradle
LED turn signal indicators
Frunk Liner
BRP 12 Volt Outlet
Third brake light
Double Play tail light

SPYDERFUZZ
07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Now you are scaring me. The salesman said it was impossible to have a wreck. I'm sure that's the only thing he lied about.

Elembytes
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Sure hard to tell if that was a Spyder in that wreck, the photo on the link above doesn't seem too clear to this reader.

However- WE will NOT and do NOT ride unless we have helmets ON! PERIOD!

Heck, in this HEAT I am really hesitant to ride without my Jacket or my MESH Jacket and when I do, I feel naked. Yet- I see HARLEY riders all the time going with hardly anything and 1/2 helmets or what not. Guess they are bigger risk takers.

I am NOT "OLD" but 52- and I wear a helmet so exceptions to the rule? LOL!

Finless = congrats for being what ever there in California----just nice to know people still exist with level heads upon their shoulders, in a world that is growing dimmer each and every day.

:D

Flanker
07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I think everyone SHOULD wear a helmet but am opposed to governments telling us we MUST do so. Roger that! :thumbup:

Chupaca
07-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Our prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery Mr. Corbin. :pray:

I sold and installed seat belts before they were mandated or standard equipment. I wore helmets since they were made..so if anyone comes along and tells me it's the law...what do I care, I beat them to the punch..it's my rule..!! You yougin's will have to buck the system and if you loose I have some friends who did and...never mind (key word is mind)...:dontknow:

2 Cruysyn
07-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Sure hard to tell if that was a Spyder in that wreck, the photo on the link above doesn't seem too clear to this reader.

Pretty much looks like a Spyder to me.

Firefly
07-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Hope the rider comes out okay.

Helmets --- personal choice in many states. It's stupid not to wear one, but we should have the choice to be stupid. I rarely ride without mine... but occasionally the stupid inside takes over..... lol

For sure is a Pearl White RT.

Hate to see this happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CyncySpyder
07-10-2013, 04:36 AM
http://bdnpull.bangorpublishing.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/10062061_H10835057-600x473.jpg

Ga Blue Knight
07-10-2013, 07:21 AM
The bike in the accident pretty much looks like a Limited RT laying on its right side with the top towards us and the front pointing right in the right of the photo. Really sorry to see this as the Spyder is really hard to get into trouble with unless of course you have help from some motorist. Prayers to the Family and Mr. Corbin for a speedy return to health.

greendean
07-10-2013, 07:42 AM
My Prayers and good Thoughts for Mr Corbin. Everyday we ride we take a chance on the road
we minimize the risk or odds by having a safer machine. We can take and help our odds by wearing
safety gear. All that said and done when things align against you fate and good energy within is all
we really have. Live life with reckless abandonment can catch up to you when you least expect it.
Spend your life hiding from everything that can do you harm become a hermit. Balance seems to be
what is best and even then our deeds in life are what we can be remembered for.
Sorry went off my soapbox. :pray::pray::pray:

kepople
07-10-2013, 08:17 AM
I hope they recover.... so sad...

Let me tell you something funny about the state of Texas helmet law:
So I recently got my M endorsement. In the TXDOT motorcycle handbook it states that you do not have to wear a helmet if you are over 21 and have taking the safety course. You are required to put a sticker on your liscense plate which costs $5 that says you are allowed by the state not to wear a helmet.

So when I was sitting at the TXDPS office I asked for the sticker. The lady looked puzzled and stated, shes never heard of that, and her husband rides all the time without a helmet. Obiviously its new, but the state clearly does not enforce these laws.

BTW: Am I the only one that Tenses up when I am at a light and I see a car coming up behind me? I always feel they are looking past me, and will soon be parked in my frunk.

Ga Blue Knight
07-10-2013, 08:27 AM
When I was in the Army, stationed at Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio, I was rear ended while waiting for a light. I was on a BMW 650 and she was in a 1967 VW Bug. The bike was kicked out from under me and I Slammed back into the windscreen of the VW. I was dressed for riding so no injury but my bike was totaled. The driver said she did not see me sitting at the light. I was wearing a white helmet with reflectors, an orange safety vest and I was on a bright blue motorcycle and it was high noon in Texas! While I did get a new bike, I still have the fear of up taking vehicles at a traffic light.

Raknid
07-10-2013, 09:17 AM
When I was in the Army, stationed at Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio, I was rear ended while waiting for a light. I was on a BMW 650 and she was in a 1967 VW Bug. The bike was kicked out from under me and I Slammed back into the windscreen of the VW. I was dressed for riding so no injury but my bike was totaled. The driver said she did not see me sitting at the light. I was wearing a white helmet with reflectors, an orange safety vest and I was on a bright blue motorcycle and it was high noon in Texas! While I did get a new bike, I still have the fear of up taking vehicles at a traffic light.

Glad you made out ok...this is a scenario that worries me because a rider has little control in this scenario. You can watch your mirrors and try to leave an escape out, but it can happen quickly as our eyes face forward by nature.

Don in E Texas
07-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I hope they recover.... so sad...

BTW: Am I the only one that Tenses up when I am at a light and I see a car coming up behind me? I always feel they are looking past me, and will soon be parked in my frunk.
I lived in Dallas years back - the reason I sold my Goldwing was far too many times I'd stop for a Red light only to be passed by someone running it. Thankfully I was always passed and not hit. Always took at least an hour ride to get out of traffic (might be more time now) and now I'm living in the middle of NO traffic. Great for riding, but still have to be alert - animals in the road, bales of hay that have fallen off trailers, etc.

gnirtsnod
07-10-2013, 10:19 AM
My Prayers and good Thoughts for Mr Corbin. Everyday we ride we take a chance on the road
we minimize the risk or odds by having a safer machine. We can take and help our odds by wearing
safety gear. All that said and done when things align against you fate and good energy within is all
we really have. Live life with reckless abandonment can catch up to you when you least expect it.
Spend your life hiding from everything that can do you harm become a hermit. Balance seems to be
what is best and even then our deeds in life are what we can be remembered for.
Sorry went off my soapbox. :pray::pray::pray: It's the old argument between luck and fortune. We can't tell when we are going to be unlucky, but there are things we can do to increase the chances of being fortunate in the out come.

finless
07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
The reason I never owned a motorcycle out here in Ca. (well at least from, about 22 yrs old and on) was because in a 4 year period 3 people I knew died from someone turning left in front of them. All 3 were not wearing helmets and all died due to head injuries.
That was enough to make my wife say "NO" to having a motorcycle.
Well that was until the Spyder came out. She feels it is much safer than 2 wheels and more visible.
I realize it is not as safe as a car so there is the balance of risk and reward I am willing to take.

Bob

Elembytes
07-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Now days I'd be questioning if she was "texting" or what. How can any one coming to an intersection, especially a RED ONE- NOT see a vehicle and person in front of them. Something wrong with her. I mean- she couldn't see a red light? Let alone see you sitting there? REALLY? That is what we call in KS a "Dumb Dora!" LOL-----wow! Glad you made it out okay on that one and still wanting to ride after that. This is one of my biggest fears and I am extremely cautious but that doesn't protect you from people like you encountered. WOW!

CurtG
07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
I think I can safely say that since I started last October 90% of the close calls have been from texting or cell phone using anyway divers and Ohio just made illegal and a primary offense for the under 21 crowd. And yes I do tense up a bit when someone is coming up behind me at a light. It can get really interesting at times.

Several weeks ago wife and I were out she leading on the Ural I about 2 car lengths back coasting up to a red light in a combination left turn through lane when some dumb :cus: decide it would be a fine idea to pass me on the left, crossing the double yellow to duck in between us and then slam on her brakes when she realized Linda was in front of me. Not sure where she thought she was going with a red light and all, Closest we've come since we started riding together back in April. Some people are just more important than the rest of us :banghead:.

Ride safe,

gnirtsnod
07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Now days I'd be questioning if she was "texting" or what. How can any one coming to an intersection, especially a RED ONE- NOT see a vehicle and person in front of them. Something wrong with her. I mean- she couldn't see a red light? Let alone see you sitting there? REALLY? That is what we call in KS a "Dumb Dora!" LOL-----wow! Glad you made it out okay on that one and still wanting to ride after that. This is one of my biggest fears and I am extremely cautious but that doesn't protect you from people like you encountered. WOW!

Reid, your post reminded me of the defensive rule some motorcyclists use when stopped at a light or preparing to turn left. Never put your bike or your mind in neutral while waiting. You must watch both in front as well as behind you, then be prepared to take evasive action when danger is noticed. Even though I know this, I often use the stop to take a mental and physical break. Maybe I'll pay more attention, now. ...Don

P.S. Dumb Doras are everywhere - not just in Kansas.

crossbowme
07-10-2013, 08:52 PM
SIGN ABOVE THE ENTRANCE IN A HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM -

Definition of an organ donor - a motorcyclist that doesn't wear a helmet.

JJW SpyderRider
07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Its not just the texting teens that don't pay attention. Driving through MN Tuesday I was stopped behind a left turning car on a two lane road. A semi came up behind me and at the last second swerved into the right hand turn lane to miss making me a Mac sandwich :yikes:. As started to move forward I saw his bumper even with my side window before he got his truck stopped. The right turn lane was just gravel and ditch after the turn so there was no way he was just going around me. :lecturef_smilie: About 30 minutes later I saw him take the shoulder doing the same thing to the woman driving behind me.

PistonBlown
07-11-2013, 06:54 AM

Used to work for a truck company and the number of times our lorries were re-ended at junctions was unbelievable - if they can't see an 18 wheeler what chance has a motorcycle?

I had a truly weird experience at one junction a few years back. Stopped at a set of lights, car comes up and pulls up on the inside of me even though its only one lane and parks on my foot! To do this his wheels on the other side have to mount the kerb, nothing I can do other than shout and swear because I can't free my foot and the driver's pretending they can't see me. Lights turn green and he pulls across in front of me but has to stop for oncoming traffic - must admit at that point I road up the side of him and punched the mirror off the car as I went by - I can remember it trailed wires which was very satisfying because at that time electric mirrors were rare and very expensive to replace:-)

Bob Denman
07-11-2013, 07:01 AM
When I'm stopped in traffic; I move over to one side of my lane as far as I can... It gives the chucklehead who forgets to stop, a place to slide up beside me so that I can chew them a new :cus:hole... :gaah:

currin20fan
07-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Nope, I haven't been rear ended but let me tell you what I got in the habit of doing. I'm not sure if its a good thing or not, but it makes me feel better.

I'm constantly watching all around me when on the spyder. If I see danger in the middle of the road I try to do all the correct hand signals, etc. when riding with a group AND I have that 3rd light on the back so I tap the brake 3 or 4 times to make it blink. When I come up to a red light & I see someone coming up behind me, I will tap on the brake to make it blink blink blink blink. I don't ride the brake but it makes me feel better that its blinking. I had a guy pull up beside me in the parking lot at the grocery store just yesterday and thanked me for that blinking light because he didn't see me at the red light until he saw it blinking :yikes:. I thanked him for not hitting me even though I wanted to leave him with a few choice words. :banghead:

Healing prayers for Mr. Corbin! :pray: