PDA

View Full Version : Simple Floorboards

mike3069
06-17-2008, 10:47 AM
I have installed some simple floorboards based on some I saw while at Homecoming. Made of 1/8" steel with 2 90 degree bends and some non-skid tape. These are bolted to BBP highway brackets in the front and the drivers peg in the rear.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2587656612_e87ec25f78.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2587656090_f28a2f8a58.jpg?v=0
I'm looking for some swap meet floorboards to finish the job, but for now they are working great!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3241/2648880975_efae9bc05d_m.jpg

Rubber mats Added

LittleJohn
06-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Cool!!!
Where'd your shifter go?

dltang
06-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Where is your shift lever? Will the floor board interfere with it? What about on the brake side, will there be enough clearance for hard braking? Just some thoughts and questions.

dbnc
06-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Cool!!!
Where'd your shifter go?

Ditto... Looks like it could be comfortable but where is the shifter as already proposed...

mike3069
06-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Shifter? What shifter? :joke: I have the special one-off SM5-E model. You didn't get the memo? ;D
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2587018585_220abbe975_m.jpg
Klicktronic Electronic Shifter
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/2587012373_73cb0043ee_m.jpg
I have a prosthic left leg & nerve damage in my left arm and hand. Hence the "one-off" model to accomadate my "Leftover Abilities"!

The brake works just fine.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2587861278_b41cdbd5a7.jpg?v=0

dltang
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Way to go Mike!!! Thanks for the info and the photo from the other side.

Magic Man
06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

dbnc
06-17-2008, 12:35 PM
:congrats: Simply Awesome... :bigthumbsup:

bjt
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
:doorag:

Adapt and overcome! Very nice!

Danimal
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Great job Mike!

Does the klictronic operate the clutch... or just shift between gears without the clutch?

Looks similar to the Pingle setup.... but yours is hidden inside.... which I like!

Dyno824
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Nice Job Mike.Parts for this mod standard off the shelf.?

pphantom538
06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
great job. possible another pic of right brake side from above?

mike3069
06-18-2008, 07:52 AM
The klicktronic system came with everything needed except a small length of angle iron we used to mount it to the spyder framework.

My clutch is on the right handlebar (no grip in my left hand) with the shift buttons mounted on it. The clutch is needed to start from a stop and I (almost) always use it to downshift, upshifts can be accomplished by rolling off the gas and shifting easily.

The floorboards I had made at the local hardware/building supply store. Just took them a pattern from 1/8" x 1" steel bent in a vise and had them fab it from 4" wide 1/8" stock. When/if I find some nice floorbords from a bike, I will make the support out of 1/4" stock welded instead of bent and a bit less wide. The only issue I have with the setup so far after 400+ miles is that my right foot gets hot from lack of fresh air flow. I think this would be solved by a narrower support w/ regular type floorboards, but its not a real big deal 'cause I don't use the right one all the time, as I do with the left (prosthic leg side).

Here is a photo from above. The brake does extend sidways over the floorboard, but there is plenty of clearance for full travel.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2589302457_956c3112a8_m.jpg

pphantom538
06-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Thank you. Excellent work.

Putt-Putt
06-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Thats a pretty cool idea you had for floor boards. And it looks like there is plenty of room for the shifter to work. You just may have given me plans to make my own. Thanks

HotMike
06-19-2008, 08:17 AM
And those are great looking Highway pegs. What parts did you use?
Great job on those other mods.

mike3069
06-19-2008, 02:55 PM
The highway pegs are mounted on the brackets from billetbikeparts.com (link on main page here) with "Longhorn Dually" pegs from Kuryakyn.

The floorboards use these brackets as the forward mounting point. They slide on top of them and two holes are drilled to attach them w/ 1/4" bolts and lock nuts. The footpegs are drilled and attached w/ the same 1/4" hardware.

I probably should have metioned this earlier. Sorry for the brain lapse. :-[

SPYMAN
06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
The highway pegs are mounted on the brackets from billetbikeparts.com (link on main page here) with "Longhorn Dually" pegs from Kuryakyn.

The floorboards use these brackets as the forward mounting point. They slide on top of them and two holes are drilled to attach them w/ 1/4" bolts and lock nuts. The footpegs are drilled and attaced w/ the same 1/4" hardware.

Nice job, its nice to see people not only put there personality in to there :spyder: but adapt and over come there limits, Awesome Man!!! I like those cruiser pegs I am going to order those for my :spyder:

:bigthumbsup: SPYMAN

mike3069
07-08-2008, 07:33 AM
I added some Rubber Mats to the Floorboards and updated the origonal post with the picture.
Actually, just now I added another layer of rubber to raise it up 3/4".

mike3069
07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
So, I'm curious......

Anyone else tried this? After 4000+ miles, they are just awesome to ride with.
I use them most of the time.

Lamonster
09-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Funny, I saw a set like these yesterday at the Spyder BBQ and the guy said he had a "Patent" on this idea and had sold it to BRP or was going to. I thought I had seen this before and did a Google search on "Spyder Floorboards" and found your post. :thumbup:

I have installed some simple floorboards based on some I saw while at Homecoming. Made of 1/8" steel with 2 90 degree bends and some non-skid tape.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2587656612_e87ec25f78.jpg?v=0

I'm looking for some swap meet floorboards to finish the job, but for now they are working great!

Rubber mats Added

gjco
09-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I like it.:thumbup:

SSPSpyder
09-27-2008, 03:34 PM
The only issue I have with the setup so far after 400+ miles is that my right foot gets hot from lack of fresh air flow. I think this would be solved by a narrower support w/ regular type floorboards, but its not a real big deal 'cause I don't use the right one all the time, as I do with the left (prosthic leg side).

You could drill some holes in the front-vertical part of the bracket to let the air through, bonus - it will save a little weight and lose almost nothing strength wise.

bjt
09-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Funny, I saw a set like these yesterday at the Spyder BBQ and the guy said he had a "Patent" on this idea and had sold it to BRP or was going to. I thought I had seen this before and did a Google search on "Spyder Floorboards" and found your post. :thumbup:

Same here. dltang told me about the "patent" conversation later that afternoon. Actually, I saw two or three different versions of this idea at the Gatlinburg event.

You could drill some holes in the front-vertical part of the bracket to let the air through, bonus - it will save a little weight and lose almost nothing strength wise.

One of the designs used two down rods from the footpeg to the floorboard instead of being a solid piece of metal.

mike3069
12-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Bump

Questions
12-22-2008, 03:06 AM
Hi Mike.

I have just joined these forums and this is the first post I have read. Believe it or not I have exactly the same situation as you do! A prosthetic left leg (above-the-knee amputation) and palsy of the left arm (brachial plexis paralysis). I own an SE5 and the only mods I have done are to switch over the SE5 shifter to the right side handlebar (it's upside-down, lol) and I have cable tyed a waterski cleat to my left foot peg. This is a temporary measure untill I can find the best position for the cleat and then I'll have a plate made up to fit the cleat to. I like my "foot" (ha ha ha... it ain't mine!) to be in a harness of sorts so I can pull on it when leaning left.

Anyway so far so good and the weather here in Cape Town, South Africa is beautiful so I'm off to ride the passes.

Cheers.
Chris

mike3069
12-22-2008, 07:40 AM
welcomeHi Chris. Glad your here.

Nice to know you can do that w/ the SE5. Got a picture for us?

These floorboards made a HUGE difference in both my comfort level
and my confidence in being able to hold myself on the spyder. The other things that make a big difference for me are the throttlemeister throttle
lock and the NMN bar risers. If I had to pick one, it would be the floorboards. Cheapest mod made the biggest difference for me.

Lamonster
12-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi Mike.

I have just joined these forums and this is the first post I have read. Believe it or not I have exactly the same situation as you do! A prosthetic left leg (above-the-knee amputation) and palsy of the left arm (brachial plexis paralysis). I own an SE5 and the only mods I have done are to switch over the SE5 shifter to the right side handlebar (it's upside-down, lol) and I have cable tyed a waterski cleat to my left foot peg. This is a temporary measure untill I can find the best position for the cleat and then I'll have a plate made up to fit the cleat to. I like my "foot" (ha ha ha... it ain't mine!) to be in a harness of sorts so I can pull on it when leaning left.

Anyway so far so good and the weather here in Cape Town, South Africa is beautiful so I'm off to ride the passes.

Cheers.
Chris
welcome

retread
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
:2thumbs:welcome:2thumbs:

FANG
12-22-2008, 02:35 PM
welcome

LDFIREWORKS
12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
[ nice work i guess you did not sleep last night:2excited:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2587656612_e87ec25f78.jpg?v=0

Rubber mats Added[/quote]

bjt
12-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Welcome to SpyderLovers Chris. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/hi-103.gif

Roaddog2
12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
:2thumbs:welcome:spyder:
Hi Mike.

Cheers.
Chris

spyderbob3
12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
I found this site for those of you that are wanting a electric shift.www.adaptivemotorcycling.com 715-442-2069

Star Cruiser
12-23-2008, 01:51 AM
I have installed some simple floorboards based on some I saw while at Homecoming. Made of 1/8" steel with 2 90 degree bends and some non-skid tape. These are bolted to BBP highway brackets in the front and the drivers peg in the rear.

That is GREAT. I have AKA Left as well, but full use of both hands. (Left-over ability, I love it). I like the floorboard idea. Not sure what to do with the right side. The brake is working nice and I don't think I need to relocate it to a lever, just for aesthetic value. Do you have a floorboard on the other side as well? If so how did you work the brake into the design?

Donzo
12-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I really like the floorboards! Great idea w/ plenty of room to move your feet around -

Question -- does the left side floorboard interfere with changing the oil and oil filter? If so, how difficult is it to get to the bolts securing the floorboards?

Thanks for sharing this idea! This is somthing I could make myself :2thumbs:

mike3069
12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I found this site for those of you that are wanting a electric shift.www.adaptivemotorcycling.com (http://www.adaptivemotorcycling.com) 715-442-2069
This is what i use. I got it from Gail at Adaptive last spring before my Spyder was delivered. It works great.

In the 5th post on this thread there are pictures of my installation.

mike3069
12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
I really like the floorboards! Great idea w/ plenty of room to move your feet around -

Question -- does the left side floorboard interfere with changing the oil and oil filter? If so, how difficult is it to get to the bolts securing the floorboards?

Thanks for sharing this idea! This is somthing I could make myself :2thumbs:
Hi Donzo

Again, in the 5th post there are more pictures, some of the right side floorboards.

The oil filter can be accessed without removing the bolts in the foot peg, but its really tight. I just remove the 2 nuts from the bolts in the peg
and it makes it easy.

mike3069
12-23-2008, 10:33 AM
That is GREAT. I have AKA Left as well, but full use of both hands. (Left-over ability, I love it). I like the floorboard idea. Not sure what to do with the right side. The brake is working nice and I don't think I need to relocate it to a lever, just for aesthetic value. Do you have a floorboard on the other side as well? If so how did you work the brake into the design?

I made no change to my brake lever or system. The floorboard doesn't interfer with the use of the pedal in any way. With my foot on the floorboard I just lift my heel to use the brake.

In the pictures, the lever on my right handlebar is my clutch, not a hand brake. No left hand function, so right must do it all - Clutch, shift, throttle, turn signals, gps, high low beams .... the proverbial one armed paper hanger!!!!!

ataDude
12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Question Mike... how do you grip the handlebars on the left side with that challenge? Not trying to be insensitive... just curious.

I made no change to my brake lever or system. The floorboard doesn't interfer with the use of the pedal in any way. With my foot on the floorboard I just lift my heel to use the brake.

In the pictures, the lever on my right handlebar is my clutch, not a hand brake. No left hand function, so right must do it all - Clutch, shift, throttle, turn signals, gps, high low beams .... the proverbial one armed paper hanger!!!!!

mike3069
12-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Question Mike... how do you grip the handlebars on the left side with that challenge? Not trying to be insensitive... just curious.

Good question ataDude.

The fingers on my left hand are fused into a bit of a "hook" shape.
I place them on the bar and mostly just balance the arm there. Right arm does most of the work.

I figured this technique out riding sleds, and have transfered it to both atv and spyder.

Questions
12-25-2008, 03:19 AM
My left arm is totally paralysed from the shoulder down. I cannot lift or hold it in position. My "sleeping" arm goes in a sling under my jacket. I only use my right arm and leg to ride my spYder. I installed the 1" riser for slightly better leverage and luckily the power assisted steering helps. I enjoy the twisties so I jam my left foot into the harness on the cleat so that I can be assured it wont fall off the peg and I pull hard on it to lean into turns. It is a case of adapt or don't ride... so I've adapted.

MERRY XMAS to u guys and happy holidays.

Chris

mike3069
12-25-2008, 08:06 AM
My left arm is totally paralysed from the shoulder down.

It is a case of adapt or don't ride... so I've adapted.

MERRY XMAS to u guys and happy holidays.

Chris
Welcome Chris

You sound like a classic brachial plexus injury. I am a bit luckier, in that mine is damaged AT the shoulder joint and I still have some movement of the shoulder.

Bottom line ...if you want to do something, adapt what you have and MAKE IT WORK!

Don't listen to the nay sayers, listen to your heart and spirit and charge forward.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

mike3069
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Enough new members since x-mas to bring this back to the top....;):popcorn:

fastfraser
05-20-2009, 11:32 AM
:doorag:

Adapt and overcome! Very nice!

:agree:Nice job :spyder2: on.

MSGTDOC
05-20-2009, 11:57 AM
:congrats:welcome

Star Cruiser
05-20-2009, 02:54 PM

The floorboards use these brackets as the forward mounting point. They slide on top of them and two holes are drilled to attach them w/ 1/4" bolts and lock nuts. The footpegs are drilled and attached w/ the same 1/4" hardware.

Thanks for the pics Mike.
I am thinking of floorboards or somthing to stop my left (prosthetic) foot from "leaving the peg". You've set the gears into motion (again). My Knee sometimes decides what it want to do on it's own when I hit too many bumps.

Bill

Pogo
07-28-2009, 08:40 AM
...I have cable tyed a waterski cleat to my left foot peg. This is a temporary measure untill I can find the best position for the cleat and then I'll have a plate made up to fit the cleat to. I like my "foot" (ha ha ha... it ain't mine!) to be in a harness of sorts so I can pull on it when leaning left...

Cheers.
Chris

Hi Chris.

I'm just getting used to my Spyder. I'm right AKA and I'm looking for a way to keep my right foot out of trouble on a ride.

On my sidecars I can hook the heel of my right shoe on the rear footpeg and it stays pretty well put. On the Spyder, this rests the toe on the exhaust and it soon vibrates off the peg.

Could you post a pic of your cleat in position?

Cheers;

Pogo.

mike3069
10-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Just checked the # of views on this thread and want to tell ya'll THANKS. My ego got a bit of a boost when I found it is #5 on the list of total views in the Shoptalk section:ohyea:.

Ryde safe!

Mike Murphy

Love2Ride
10-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Can I just say how much I admire ya'll? You guys ROCK! Overcoming obsticles in your lives to do the things you love is just awesome!

<sniff sniff> Sorry it's a girl thing. :)

spyderleg
10-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Just checked the # of views on this thread and want to tell ya'll THANKS. My ego got a bit of a boost when I found it is #5 on the list of total views in the Shoptalk section:ohyea:.

Ryde safe!

Mike Murphy

Mike I would like to tell you Thanks for sharing your floorboard idea. I made a similiar set out of aluminum diamond plate after dragging my left foot in the interstate earlier this year. Left foot slipped off peg and because of my brain tumor I could not get it back on the peg without pulling over. Floorboard eliminates this from happening again! :2thumbs:

Smylinacha
10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
welcomeHi Chris. Glad your here.

Nice to know you can do that w/ the SE5. Got a picture for us?

These floorboards made a HUGE difference in both my comfort level
and my confidence in being able to hold myself on the spyder. The other things that make a big difference for me are the throttlemeister throttle
lock and the NMN bar risers. If I had to pick one, it would be the floorboards. Cheapest mod made the biggest difference for me.

You best be comfortable - I seen you ride the Cherohala STANDING UP in those turns - unbelievable! I kept thinking why the heck is he doing that? And then you told me you got that from racing snow mobiles. You sure can ride!:2thumbs:

spyderleg
10-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Simple but effective :thumbup:

mike3069
10-27-2009, 10:22 AM
:2thumbs: Nice job spyderleg!

BeRight
10-27-2009, 12:24 PM

I would really appreciate it if you would share details of construction and more pictures (underside)????

mike3069
10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I would really appreciate it if you would share details of construction and more pictures (underside)????

Look at the very first post, first picture, for a view of how I did it. The front attaches to the Billet Bike Highway peg mount on my install and it looks like his does also.

BeRight
10-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Look at the very first post, first picture, for a view of how I did it. The front attaches to the Billet Bike Highway peg mount on my install and it looks like his does also.

Did you just bend the floorboard front top section to match highway peg or use separate bracket (welded?)?

mike3069
10-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Did you just bend the floorboard front top section to match highway peg or use separate bracket (welded?)?

There is no bend in the front. It is Drilled and bolted to the Billet Bike bracket.

mike3069
04-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Over 30k miles on these floorboards and I STILL think they are my best add-on mod.

coz
04-21-2012, 09:33 AM
good to hear from you. love your design so much i copied most of it for mine. still haven't done anything for highway pegs though. thanks again:thumbup: