PDA

View Full Version : 12v outlet in center console of RT

carajony
07-08-2013, 11:05 PM
I installed a 12v outlet in the center console under the handlebars above the glovebox. It was a little hard but not impossible.

After removing all the Tupperware on the sides (if you need to know how there are a few videos on the forum that show you how) there are 4 screws that hold the whole glovebox in place. 2 on each side. Once you remove them (be careful I dropped one inside somewhere and it seems the bike ate it up cause couldn't find it anywhere) you just pull it back a little. To give you room to remove the part with the 4 buttons. By the way the piece also is locked into the speaker grills. If you look at it closely you will see how and unclip them. Now there is one plastic rivet type clip right in the front middle. Very hard to remove. What I did was pull up one side very carefully as not to break or crack it. I wedged it slightly open with a small flashlight to see in. I used a long flathead screwdriver to pull the rivet forward and take it out. Once you take it out the whole piece comes right out as long as you pull the whole console back a little. I then did my horrible job with my dremell to make the hole bigger after removing the 4 different colored plugs attached to the buttons and the false button cover in the middle. I installed the outlet and ran the wires to my battery with a fuse. Tested it before putting everything back. Just go in reverse. The hardest part was that plug plastic rivet thingy that's in there in the middle front of the buttons part. The pics show where it goes. Sorry for the long post but tried to explain it the best I could. Here are a few pics.

carajony
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
71408714077140671405More pics

Chupaca
07-08-2013, 11:10 PM
congrats on a job well done. Pro looking hope it has a seal tight cover..!! :2thumbs:

carajony
07-08-2013, 11:14 PM
I put a thin rubber round gasket for waterproof. Also have a rubber cover I have to put on.

SpyderAnn01
07-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Nice job. It looks really good there and seems to be the most logical place for one. A lot of people wouldn't have tackled that job by themselves. :2thumbs:

finless
07-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Nice job! I think that is where I will put mine.

Bob

ARtraveler
07-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Great job. Thank you for showing us.

carajony
07-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Like I said in my post. The hardest part was that plastic rivet plug thingy. Crazy place to put it. No access to it. The plastic part with the buttons will not come out unless you take those 4 screws out of the center console. Once you take them out the whole console moves back a little and gives you enough room to take out the plastic piece with the buttons from under the handlebars. I was thinking about putting Velcro on the tab where that plastic rivet plug thingy goes. But I was able to put in back in with the screwdriver the same way I took it out. And a whole lot of patience. Lol

edmarino
07-26-2013, 09:29 PM
The only problem with what you did is use the place the mounting plug for the CB goes. So if you want to have a corded helmet you are screwed and left with a Bluetooth communication set up.

jwulf74
07-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the pics and write-up. I plan on getting a DPDT switch that matches the factory look and putting it in that spot for a couple of things I have in mind. If I can actually get all the parts I want I'll post my experiment.

carajony
08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
The only problem with what you did is use the place the mounting plug for the CB goes. So if you want to have a corded helmet you are screwed and left with a Bluetooth communication set up.

Ive never used a CB... Wouldnt even know how to use it... I use the Bluetooth wireless headsets... Prob not good for those that do... just another option...:coffee::thumbup: