PDA

View Full Version : Power Outlet 2012 RSS

Topshotta
07-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Family,

what is the best and easiest way to add a power outlet to my RSS? The only visible cable I have now is the battery tender cable under the seat.

thanks

Fern

NancysToy
07-08-2013, 08:07 AM
It depends on where you want it, and what you want to power. On the RS/RSS, there are already two spare 3 amp accessory circuits...one switched and one unswitched. The unswitched harness is normally tied up in the steering/trunk latch area. The switched harness is tied to the upper left suspension mount. Both are most readily accessed with the trunk removed. There is a marked location in the left rear trunk wall, intended for installation of the optional 12V cigarette outlet using the switched accessory harness. Use of either harness will require putting a 3 amp fuse in the appropriate slot in the fusebox.

For external outlets, you have to select a spot with access for wiring and sufficient room behind the pane for the outletl, drill an appropriately sized hole, then install an outlet. The outlet would normally be wired directly from the battery terminal (inside the body, not the jumper terminals under the seat) with a fused wire and a ground. It is best to install an auxiliary fuse block, in which case the outlet would be wired there instead of the battery. I highly recommend the Powerlet outlets (BMW type), rather than the cigarette type.

If you are unfamiliar with this type of work, it might be best to solicit the help of your dealer or an experienced friend.

Topshotta
07-08-2013, 08:30 AM
It depends on where you want it, and what you want to power. On the RS/RSS, there are already two spare 3 amp accessory circuits...one switched and one unswitched. The unswitched harness is normally tied up in the steering/trunk latch area. The switched harness is tied to the upper left suspension mount. Both are most readily accessed with the trunk removed. There is a marked location in the left rear trunk wall, intended for installation of the optional 12V cigarette outlet using the switched accessory harness. Use of either harness will require putting a 3 amp fuse in the appropriate slot in the fusebox.

For external outlets, you have to select a spot with access for wiring and sufficient room behind the pane for the outletl, drill an appropriately sized hole, then install an outlet. The outlet would normally be wired directly from the battery terminal (inside the body, not the jumper terminals under the seat) with a fused wire and a ground. It is best to install an auxiliary fuse block, in which case the outlet would be wired there instead of the battery. I highly recommend the Powerlet outlets (BMW type), rather than the cigarette type.

If you are unfamiliar with this type of work, it might be best to solicit the help of your dealer or an experienced friend.

Scotty,

thanks for the response, I was think about the frunk, so I will look into switched harness.

danlnc
07-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I mounted mine under the seat. I just use it to charge the phone.

NancysToy
07-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Scotty,

thanks for the response, I was think about the frunk, so I will look into switched harness.
Piece of cake up there (although it is easiest if you remove the trunk). Just buy the outlet. The trunk os marked for the hole, if you have a trunk liner it has a hole and flap there, and the harness is ready, including the connector and rubber boot. Just install the outlet in the trunk wall, attach the connector, rehang the trunk, add a 3 amp fuse, and you are in business.

Topshotta
07-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Piece of cake up there (although it is easiest if you remove the trunk). Just buy the outlet. The trunk os marked for the hole, if you have a trunk liner it has a hole and flap there, and the harness is ready, including the connector and rubber boot. Just install the outlet in the trunk wall, attach the connector, rehang the trunk, add a 3 amp fuse, and you are in business.

Is this the outlet you mentioned earlier?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/powerlet-low-profile-powerlet-socket

billybovine
07-08-2013, 02:44 PM

I think Scotty was thinking of this one. http://store.spyder.brp.com/products/631112/SPYDER_RS

NancysToy
07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
That is one of the versions of Powerlet outlets. They are smaller diameter, but make better contact. The Spyder harness and connector aren't an exact fit for these, the boot doesn't fit, and the marked hole location in the trunk is too large. They are great for the dash, though. They can be purchased a lot of places, including directly from Powerlet. http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/power-distribution/PWRDIST

I think Scotty was thinking of this one. http://store.spyder.brp.com/products/631112/SPYDER_RS
That is the OEM option. Exact fit for the existing harness, boot, and marked hole location. Similar cigarette outlets are available in most automotive departments. The connector and boot should fit most of them.

Chupaca
07-08-2013, 03:34 PM
although easier removing the frunk, I installed mine in the frunk by removing the left side panels. I use a double usb plug. Works well. I did use the switched wires in case I leave things plugged in in the frunk.. :thumbup:

Topshotta
07-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Is the marking for the hole on the back side of the frunk? Was looking inside but could not find any marking

Frank G
07-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Is the marking for the hole on the back side of the frunk? Was looking inside but could not find any marking

I'm not sure it is marked, the poweroutlet from BRP comes with a paper templet and detailed instructions for installation. It worked for me.:yes:

NancysToy
07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure it is marked, the poweroutlet from BRP comes with a paper templet and detailed instructions for installation. It worked for me.:yes:
That may well be the case. I seem to remember the 2008 machines being marked, but they may not be marked anymore. Often marks are just an indentation on the panel, to serve as a centerpoint. That's the way they marked the location for the first generation trailer modules for the RT.

The exact location is not vritical, if installed on the vertical flat area on the left side of the trunk's rear wall...about half way up. The only time the lovcation is tricky is if you have or want to add a trunk liner. It has a flap where the outlet is supposed to be...although it is often offset due to looseness of the liner and variations in the fit or installation of the liner. My opinion...put it where you want it, as long as there is enough room behind the hole for the outlet to fit.

Topshotta
07-08-2013, 08:46 PM
I will be stoping at the dealer tomorrow to pick up a 12v power outlet kit.

I do have another question; is it ok to use this cable without fuse protection?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/powerlet-sae-to-cigarette-socket-cable

NancysToy
07-08-2013, 10:09 PM
I will be stoping at the dealer tomorrow to pick up a 12v power outlet kit.

I do have another question; is it ok to use this cable without fuse protection?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/powerlet-sae-to-cigarette-socket-cable

I don't understand why you would want to use that cable. It is designed to add an outlet to an existing battery charger pigtail with an SAE connector. BTW, those pigtails are typically fused.

Topshotta
07-09-2013, 04:26 AM
I don't understand why you would want to use that cable. It is designed to add an outlet to an existing battery charger pigtail with an SAE connector. BTW, those pigtails are typically fused.

Scotty,

just trying to educate myself on these outlets, earlier when you recommended the powerlets I researched it and these came up, so I was curious since I already have the tender terminal under my seat.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

usn97ret
07-09-2013, 04:37 AM
I have a 2012 RT with the 12V outlet in the rear trunk. I was using a portable air pump to inflate the rear shock air bag and I turned the pump off to check the pressure...and when I turned the air pump on again I got nothing as the outlet just died. I checked the air pump on another 12V plug in my truck and it works fine. I looked in the manual and on this site but haven't been able to determine the exact fuse I should check. I pulled he colored fuses in the frunk and didn't see any burnouts...and I am leery on pulling anything else. Anyone have any recommendations on what I should check next?

NancysToy
07-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Scotty,

just trying to educate myself on these outlets, earlier when you recommended the powerlets I researched it and these came up, so I was curious since I already have the tender terminal under my seat.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

That would be a good solution if you didn't have that offbeat Genius connector. There are lots of these adapter outlets available for an SAE connector. There are also some to Powerlet outlets. You could still do it that way, but you will need to buy or fabricate an adapter from the Genius to SAE. Replacing the Genius connector is probably easier...unless you have a Genius smart charger. If you decide to put an outlet like this under your seat, be sure there is enough clearance with the seat closed. Things get pretty tight under there.