PDA

View Full Version : Att site sponsor xenon dept Kb car stuff

r1100rider
07-08-2013, 12:06 AM
First off I will say that the xenon dept hid kits put out much much better light when they work and don't make nanny mad , I ordered 2kits for our rs's and had to go thru a bit to get them not to throw vss codes I wraped the ballasts and connections in foil to shield from interference I had to play with the polarity combinations of the feed wires from the Oem bulb one bike works fine now the other works 70% of the time ,I kept isolating and find if I pull the fuse on the left lite its all good also if I trigger the lite override and hold for a few seconds before I start it will work 95% of starts, so I call zenon dept and try very nicely to tell them that there kits sometimes will cause codes on the can buss system on spyders and that as a site sponsor they are losing business as many have posted they give up and took the kits back off, I told them that I have one bad ballast and i want help or a replacement Danny started arguing stating that the lite works and i agreed but that it doest start clean or studders or has electrical hash or something that pisses off nanny ,they admitted that they have a can buss fix capacitor I ask why they don't put it in there kits and I ask why there are not spyder specific instructions ,then I ask if they would cover me for the $20 can buss kit and they said no and no new ballast either, so here is the real killer I said why don't you get a spyder and test your kit with it and make instructions and figure out why it makes the bike throw codes and the answer was " well it doesn't always cause problems so we don't want to add $20 to the kits when sometimes it isn't needed "so they do know it can be a problem I said that there are many kits that are removed and on the shelf because some have give up and posted so, I for one would gladly pay the extra for the kits to be fool proof and not got thru hours of isolating the problem they should make wiring and install instruction just for the spyder and put the can buss fix in the kits ,there kit is 1/3 the cost of the BRP kit so what's $20 to$40 to save buyers the massive frustration of it works sometimes and sometime it won't if xenon dept wants to contact me send me a PM and ill give my phone #

DrewNJ
07-08-2013, 07:38 AM
I had a nice little reply typed up but decided it wasn't in the best interest and not in good taste. All I'm going to say is that I feel your pain....:thumbup:

BajaRon
07-08-2013, 09:57 AM
First, I have to say that my light kit from KB Car Stuff works great. This after trying another setup that caused me a lot of grief and nothing I could do would fix it. That 1st set went into the trash, money wasted.

But too many people are having issues with the KB sets to pretend there isn't a problem.

We know the Spyder's computer is very touchy, like the Princess and the Pea story (anyone remember that one?), if it ain't just right, the computer is going to give you fits.

I think all of these sets (no matter where you get them from these days) are made in China. And while they talk about quality control I wonder if there isn't at least some variation as to how much RF/EFI is generated from ballast to ballast. And there may also be some variation as to how sensitive the Spyder's computers are.

I used to recommend the KB Car Stuff light kits because mine works flawlessly, as I suspect many others do as well. But playing Russian Roulette is only exciting when you win...

ARCTIC
07-08-2013, 10:07 AM
X2. Their kits are NOT specific to our application and as I found out, not compatible with my bike. I should have known to stay away when I ordered the kit over the phone and told him I had a 2008 GS and he was asking me what kind of bulbs the bike has in it!! I called them because they had a few threads on here with different sales and they kept posting "all orders have been shipped" like they're sending out 50 kits a week to spyder owners. Never saw any negative feedback and thought there was probably tons of happy customers.... now I know better. The instructions provided have NOTHING specific to a spyder and there's some MacGyvering needed on that install. They seemed helpful and courteous when I called and walked through all sorts of trouble shooting items BUT all along I was never enlightened to the fact that this is COMMON with the spyder. And until now, I was never informed of any filters to help resolve the interference. My bike WOULD NOT run with the lights powered up utilizing the relay harnesses. I finally was able to get it to run most of the time by powering solely off of the headlight wires. Running most of the time is not acceptable to me. They're sitting in a box in my house now:banghead:

ChasingWind
07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
I expect plug and play when I purchase something advertises for my spyder - I do enough trouble shooting at my job and get paid for it - - just saying when I buy extra's I expect them to work out the box / so my spyder can be out riding not in the Garage -

You guys/gals have way more patience or time than I have:)

KB listen up I will passing on your products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lamonster
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
First, I have to say that my light kit from KB Car Stuff works great. This after trying another setup that caused me a lot of grief and nothing I could do would fix it. That 1st set went into the trash, money wasted.

But too many people are having issues with the KB sets to pretend there isn't a problem.

We know the Spyder's computer is very touchy, like the Princess and the Pea story (anyone remember that one?), if it ain't just right, the computer is going to give you fits.

I think all of these sets (no matter where you get them from these days) are made in China. And while they talk about quality control I wonder if there isn't at least some variation as to how much RF/EFI is generated from ballast to ballast. And there may also be some variation as to how sensitive the Spyder's computers are.

I used to recommend the KB Car Stuff light kits because mine works flawlessly, as I suspect many others do as well. But playing Russian Roulette is only exciting when you win...

There are a couple of vendors here that supply HID lighting so you do have options. I personally have not heard any complaints till now about these lights and vendor. I know that when Ron was having all his problems with his bargain HID's I told him to go with these guys because they had good reviews from what I read. If you really want to buy HID's that are made for or approved for your Spyder then buy the factory HID kit's. Then if they don't work you'll really have something to gripe about seeing they are over $1000.00 for the RT kit and over $900.00 for the RS. Maybe that's why folks try other kits first. :dontknow:

RT Kit
http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/631099/219400135/_/HID_Xenon_Lighting_System

RS Kit
http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/631091/219400083/_/HID_Xenon_Lighting_System

ARCTIC
07-08-2013, 06:12 PM
There are a couple of vendors here that supply HID lighting so you do have options. I personally have not heard any complaints till now about these lights and vendor. I know that when Ron was having all his problems with his bargain HID's I told him to go with these guys because they had good reviews from what I read. If you really want to buy HID's that are made for or approved for your Spyder then buy the factory HID kit's. Then if they don't work you'll really have something to gripe about seeing they are over $1000.00 for the RT kit and over $900.00 for the RS. Maybe that's why folks try other kits first. :dontknow:

RT Kit
http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/631099/219400135/_/HID_Xenon_Lighting_System

RS Kit
http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/631091/219400083/_/HID_Xenon_Lighting_System

TRY is our issue. I'm pretty sure all of the buyers purchase it with the ideal that it WILL WORK! Sure it will take a extra amount of effort to retrofit the housing with the bulbs (I get that) and that is where the lower price is offset. I was willing to work at it to run wires and do some exploration on how to get everything setup but all along I had the idea that it was gonna work in the end. Here's my whole thread on the install if anyone wants to know how much effort (and downtime) went into my attempted installation: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?53543-Installed-HID-lights-and-spyder-went-CRAZY!!!