PDA

View Full Version : Limp home mode (freaking out!!) :(

dadunston
07-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi community,

I haven't rode my ST limited 2013 in about a week, cranked it up; pulled out of the garage and the LCD display showed that my trike was in limp home mode.

Cut the trike off immediately because it freaked me out, cut it back on and it was no longer displayed. Took it out for about a 10 mile trip, cut it off, got gas and it did not come back on and everything seemed to be "A" ok.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

mcaccamise
07-07-2013, 01:44 PM
That was just a test dont worry about it unless it comes back again they can be a bit finiky sometimes if u should have future limp issues see if a code comes up or have the dealer hook it up to Buds.

Wiredux
07-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Are there any active codes?

dadunston
07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
How do you check for active codes? My apologies as I'm a noob to can am!

BikerDoc
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
press in the mode and set buttons along with the center of the turn signal button at the same time after an incident. If no codes appear then the problem is likely superfluous ..

billybovine
07-07-2013, 02:17 PM
The codes won't be active any more. Drive on and forget it ever happened unless it happens again. Then don't freak out. Limp home mode is there to protect you from danger or the Spyder from damage. Against popular belief it is not a bad thing. There will be other lights on your display and depending on which ones are on will give you a clue on which system has a problem. If that does not help you determine the problem call your dealer.

ARtraveler
07-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Welcome to one of the quirks of the :spyder2:. This does happen sometimes and I always comment that it is the :ani29: computer showing you who is "really" in charge.

If it does not happen again, it was one of those "quirk" times. One thing that can cause it to hapopen on a ride, is if you are accidently riding the brake. A nooby thing--been there and done that myself. Another thing I have noticed that can cause it is to try to speed up the booting up process. Once I turn the key on, I let it do it's thing before touching any buttons, etc.

If the situation happens again or on a regular basis--the :spyder2: should be taken to the dealer, or examined for codes as mentioned above.

Keep us informed if you have more problems.

StanProff
07-07-2013, 03:53 PM
I had a limp home code flash for a few seconds early in my RT ownership, I was about 1500 miles or more across country. I freaked out. Thinking something had to be wrong. Well, at the motel that night, I posted on spyderlovers and was advised the same as you are now, probally just a fluke. Keep on riding is what I done. No more problems, finished the trip (close to 5,000 miles) and have never seen it again. I now don't ever think about it. I am almost 18,000 miles into Spyder ownership have enjoyed it very much. The Spyders are quirky, a lot of bikes are, you just learn what the quirks are and deal with it. One of my two wheelers requires a certian number of throttle pumps to start, yes it is old and carberated but it's always been like that. Another one of my newer two wheelers, a 2009 model, will not start with the battery the least bit low on charge ( seriously it will not start if not on a tender after a couple of weeks.) Good luck with your spyder, enjoy.

Chupaca
07-07-2013, 06:18 PM
just keep ryding. If it is of some concern it will not go away. Next service will tell what it was or not but if in the system will be wiped out. Be safe..!! :thumbup:

Tx web rider
07-07-2013, 07:01 PM
you might have been inadvertently riding the brake pedal this will give you a limp mode spyders dont like you to ride the brakes