PDA

View Full Version : Senile or just confused

SPYDERFUZZ
07-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited. My Cadillac didn't have this many options. Yesterday I wanted to sell my Spyder. I road it today and I want to keep it. This has been going since I got. Is this what all 80 year old people that have never rode any kind of motorcycle go through? I have only had it for 4 weeks. My son has a BIG Harley and he says I shouldn't have one. I am not afraid of it. I drove my first 18wheeler when I was 15 years old. I was a SeeBee and can operate any kind of heavy equipment. See what I'm talking about. Don't know which way to go. I am all alone now, cancer got my wife almost 2 years ago and I thought maybe the Spyder would help me deal with that. The only thing I know for sure if my darling wife was still alive I would definitely not have a Spyder.:banghead:nojoke

Ga Blue Knight
07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the Spyderworld friend. In many cases the enjoyment of motorcycling of any kind is having someone to share the road with. Try to find someone who has the time and interest to ride with you. It will enhance your rides, and provide a good source of knowledge about riding in general. Check to see if any Spyderlovers live nearby too!

Chupaca
07-07-2013, 10:19 AM
I have been in motorcycle all my life. Got our roadster two years ago and we love it. Had you gotten your earlier I'm sure you and your wife would have enjoyed it. Now during this time I have found that some folks should not be on a bike. The roadster would be your best choice (imo) but it is a comfort and confidence thing. Ryde it close by find people to ryde with if your level of comfort does not improve and you are not confident in your abilities to handle it don't push it. Get a Lamborgini...:roflblack: I'm sure you will find the answer..!! :thumbup:

cyclelover63
07-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I bought my first Spyder from a friend of mine that was 82...He sold it to me because he bought an RT...maybe there is a Spyder or Goldwing club close to you..Usually,if it is a smaller club,they don't care what you are riding...They just want the companionship...Maybe your son knows some trike owners that you could ride with..I only know that if I didn't have my Spyder,I wouldn't be doing near the things I am doing now...If it makes you happy,or takes your mind off of life for just a little bit,in my mind it is worth it...I hope I can still ride at 80 years old!!!...:bowdown: :bowdown:

2 Cruysyn
07-07-2013, 10:51 AM
You're less than 40 minutes and an easy ride up 69 to Tyler where I'm pretty sure there is as least one Spyder rider who is also on the forum. Hang on to this thread. You're not alone. Hopefully you'll hear from Texas soon!

Maybe you and the new owner in Mineola (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?50588-New-Texas-Spyder-Owner) can meet in the middle at Tyler!

"Now we just need to find some other Spydie friends to ride with..."

He's just about as far north as you are south!

Pennyrick
07-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Doug:

Have you asked your son to accompany you on a ride for a day?

Try to take a day trip together to some mutually acceptable destination, considering the fact that folks in their eighties don't have hard butts anymore.

Failing that stay tuned to this site and/or ask you dealer to put you in touch with some other Spyder riders that may be in your age range. (preferably female).

Stay with it.

Don in E Texas
07-07-2013, 11:13 AM
There are a TON of rides going on most every weekend. With our ride-year-round weather (well, almost year-round) I'm sure you can find a group in your area. Here is just one link for you to glance over: http://www.lets-ride.com/event/texas.htm Let's ride! Meet others and Enjoy yourself. Oh, 78 in Sept.

Bob Denman
07-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Sell it or keep it; the decision will hve to be yours... But :welcome: anyway!

Oldmanzues
07-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Only you can decide, but do not let the "Harley Halo" effect you. They are good bikes, but there are lots of other good bikes as well.
That said, the Gold Wing ( National site is GWRRA.com) or the local dealer are good ideas. Most GW clubs have lots of trikes in them nowdays. They even have a trike course.
My ride length has gone from whatever, 60 plus years ago, to 70 or so mile local trips. Then a break and ride back. I will be 78 in Nov.
Good luck and Welcome
Oldmanzues

BajaRon
07-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I suppose it depends on the reasons you want to sell it and the reasons you want to keep it. Only you know if the Spyder is fulfilling your expectations or not.

You've had it 4 weeks, that's not very long. My only suggestion is to give it a bit more time. You can always get rid of it later when you are sure. But with more time you might just find that you really like it. Find someone else to ride with. That makes a big difference.

There are 3 guys near where I live, all in their 70's and 80', and they put about 300 miles a week on their Spyders. One Silver, one Blue and one Red RT. They should have swapped the silver for a white and been a patriotic trio.

ARtraveler
07-07-2013, 02:28 PM
:welcome: My recommendation is to hang in there a little longer. The suggestions about finding a club, or just some friends of like mind to enjoy rides and camaradarie with, are good ones.

I have not yet met a Spyder owner that I did not like. I note that a few have chimed in from your area. Perhaps that can be the start of good things. :thumbup:

Raknid
07-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Agree to give it some time and then decide whether it's for you. Also...check if there are local bike nights near you. You may find others of like age and interest.

AbNormy
07-07-2013, 03:45 PM
See my other post...88 yo fellow RT rider in MV said Docs told me I have this disease starts with an A and I cant remember! Smiling from ear to ear:D

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!

spydercatjohn
07-07-2013, 05:10 PM
It takes 500 to 1000 miles to get used to how the Spyder handles. Took me 700 miles now I am happy. I ride in a senior citizen motorcycle club in Florida and one of our new members on a Harley hit a patch of gravel on a curve and went down. Broken ribs that will take time to heal at our age. A trike is much safer. As others have said the Goldwing riders accept all makes of bikes and group riding fellowship is half the fun. There is also a list of Spyder clubs by state on spyderlovers.

TuckMiddle
07-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Welcome to SpyderLovers.

Get on the Spyder, get use to it and do as you darn well please. I'm 75 and would sell my car before I'd sell my Spyder.

We've had a lousy week, only a couple hours at a time without rain. I jumped on that bad boy about 3:30 today and rode for 2 hours. It was like being born again!! I stopped and looked at a bunch of very nice used Jeeps - my wife has about worn out her 2000 Cherakee and wants a 4 door jeep unlimited. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll ride around and look at all I can find, on my Spyder of course. It will be 2 years old Aug 20 and will have about 34,000 miles on it. I missed the local parade this Thurs due to the wx, hopefully we'll get to ride in that before summer is out. Ride it every chance you get - you won't regret it for one second. Tell your son I sold my Harley Road Glide because it got boring (and my right hip goes nuts now and then.) I have a back rest, floorboards and gas money - "life is good"

Tuck:cheers:

SPYDERFUZZ
07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
See my other post...88 yo fellow RT rider in MV said Docs told me I have this disease starts with an A and I cant remember! Smiling from ear to ear:D

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!
I don't think I have that "A" disease yet because I can't remember anything I forgot. You have my sense of humor Doug I:banghead:

kawakii
07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I agree with everyone else - give it some time and do what you want not what your son thinks is right. I'm only 30 yrs old but am paraplegic and everyone in my family except for my significant other thinks I'm absolutely bonkers for riding the Spyder. They just don't understand how free it makes me feel and how much I enjoy it. All they see if the danger and risk there is involved. I'm sure your son is just concerned and that is why he mentioned it.

Questions
07-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Not sure how far we are from you....my hubby, PMay68, and I have a 2013 RT Limited that we've had for about 4 months now. We are in Mineola, just North of Tyler and we have several people we ryde with on a fairly regular basis. Today we had a Goldwing trike, a Honda something-or-other (LOL), two Silverwings, a Bergman, and two Spyder RTs and the riders came from Mineola, Lindale, Longview, and South of Tyler.

If you are close enough we would LOVE to have you join us sometime. We are a casual, ride for fun and comfort kind of group....no marathon rides with no butt breaks! :)

Feel free to message us if you are interested. :)