PDA

View Full Version : In reverse belt starts walking off back sprocket!

FIRECAT
07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know why in reverse belt starts walking off back sprocket! It's the second belt with a new front drive sprocket about 7000 miles ago! After belt was replaced I brought to the dealer for proper tension alignment in forward it tracks just fine! Big trip to Chicago on Thursday don't want any surprises on the I 94! Anyone's thoughts comments or suggestions???

Bob Denman
07-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Believe it or not; it's a normal thing to see that! :shocked:
But it's not going to come off the sprocket on you... ;)
Bobbogera 9I think!) had an explanation as to why...
It's got something to do with the cords in the drivebelt, and their "directionality?

Chupaca
07-07-2013, 10:03 AM
:agree: generally speaking one does not back up great distances.

billybovine
07-07-2013, 01:01 PM
In reverse my 09 GS the belt would hang off the rear sprocket about a 1/4 inch. Never caused a problem.

FIRECAT
07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Well that's reassuring! Very odd that it does that !i won't rip down the freeway for long distances in reverse. LOL!

Bob Denman
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
There's an inner flange on the front pulley that ought to keep anything from hitting the pavement... :thumbup:

FIRECAT
09-10-2013, 08:41 AM
There's an inner flange on the front pulley that ought to keep anything from hitting the pavement... :thumbup:
3000 miles later belt floats back-and-forth on sprocket going to quarter inch off and then realigning correctly constantly moving what's up with that?

NancysToy
09-10-2013, 04:05 PM
3000 miles later belt floats back-and-forth on sprocket going to quarter inch off and then realigning correctly constantly moving what's up with that?

Sounds like a damaged belt, but check for front sprocket play or runout caused by worn splines and/or a loose bolt. If you recently removed the rear spocket the problem could be it is improperly seated in the wheel. Bad rear bearings are another possibility.