PDA

View Full Version : Headlights Mod for RS 2011

PistonBlown
07-05-2013, 06:50 AM
It's winter time now in New Zealand (just mention that so as not to confuse those in the Northern Hemisphere) so I'm doing more night time riding.

Find the dipped lights work well but full beam are a bit narrowly focused. A number of roads around here have no road edge lines so it would be nice to have the verges lit up close to the bike like it is on low-beam.

I was wondering if anyone has just changed the wiring so the low-beam are always on even when high beams on?

After all you can do this by pressing the passing light button so I'm assuming it's not something that's going to be an issue - though I do have a concern that the electronic nanny may possibly complain as I know it detects blown bulbs etc.

I know there's a lot after market add-on lights but I don't want to do that as I like the uncluttered look.

Thanks,

Jos

NancysToy
07-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Gonna be hard for those of us in North America to answer, as our lighting systems are different. I wouldn't worry about the nanny, but the larger, continuous amp draw could be an issue with wiring or fusing...or even with the relay. If you try it, be sure to monitor the wiring closely. I'd also be concerned about the legality of it where you live. Better check with law enforcement. I personally would go with aftermarket lighting like the Motolights. The after market lighting could be aimed to provide light where you want it, and could be mounted lower to cut through fog and mist as a bonus. JMHO

Bob Denman
07-05-2013, 05:04 PM
:agree: Some auxiliary "flamethrowers" down low could be set up exactly as you want them. :2thumbs:
And if they're a bit on the "other" side of what might be considered as legal; you can shut them down when discretion demands it! :D

PistonBlown
07-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Gonna be hard for those of us in North America to answer, as our lighting systems are different. I wouldn't worry about the nanny, but the larger, continuous amp draw could be an issue with wiring or fusing...or even with the relay. If you try it, be sure to monitor the wiring closely. I'd also be concerned about the legality of it where you live. Better check with law enforcement. I personally would go with aftermarket lighting like the Motolights. The after market lighting could be aimed to provide light where you want it, and could be mounted lower to cut through fog and mist as a bonus. JMHO

Yes I'd been thinking about how not to overload things. My plan at the moment is to run the front low beam lights off the spare auxiliary point in the front fuse box. This is the one that is only active when the ignition is on and is where people seem to attach the aftermarket lights (and other extras), it has it's own relay etc. Not traced things back yet on the wiring diagram or checked fuse/relay rating so obviously need to do that first to make sure it can take the load and is suitable.

This would mean the front low beams would be removed from the normal lighting circuit. That leads to the concern about electronic nanny as I remember a couple of forum posts that said they got limp home mode when a bulb blew. Obviously I could add resistance to the line to mimic bulbs to keep it happy.

Reason I'm trying to avoid aftermarket lights is:

Clutter - Don't like the look, I like old school chopping where you remove stuff not adding it:-)
Cost - From recent experience getting decent aftermarket parts to NZ end up costing you triple what you'd pay in the states for the same thing.
Risk - A quick search of this site comes up with loads of posts on issues after fitting aftermarket lights. So I could pay all that money and find they are not fit for purpose.

Legally all fine. NZ Law states that motorcycles can have only 2 high beam lights but cars can have 4. Spyders in NZ are registered as cars because of the width of the front axle - though if like me you have motorcycle licence your insurance is a lot cheaper:-). It could be argued that only 2 of the lights are high beam anyway.

Chupaca
07-05-2013, 06:53 PM
well what I did. Adding lights on lower air dam angling the fogs to the edges and driving lights straight ahead. You may just want one set....:thumbup:

71200 separate controls 71201 good luck..!! :ohyea:

mrb
07-06-2013, 01:39 AM
Yes I'd been thinking about how not to overload things. My plan at the moment is to run the front low beam lights off the spare auxiliary point in the front fuse box. This is the one that is only active when the ignition is on and is where people seem to attach the aftermarket lights (and other extras), it has it's own relay etc. Not traced things back yet on the wiring diagram or checked fuse/relay rating so obviously need to do that first to make sure it can take the load and is suitable.

This would mean the front low beams would be removed from the normal lighting circuit. That leads to the concern about electronic nanny as I remember a couple of forum posts that said they got limp home mode when a bulb blew. Obviously I could add resistance to the line to mimic bulbs to keep it happy.

Reason I'm trying to avoid aftermarket lights is:

Clutter - Don't like the look, I like old school chopping where you remove stuff not adding it:-)
Cost - From recent experience getting decent aftermarket parts to NZ end up costing you triple what you'd pay in the states for the same thing.
Risk - A quick search of this site comes up with loads of posts on issues after fitting aftermarket lights. So I could pay all that money and find they are not fit for purpose.

Legally all fine. NZ Law states that motorcycles can have only 2 high beam lights but cars can have 4. Spyders in NZ are registered as cars because of the width of the front axle - though if like me you have motorcycle licence your insurance is a lot cheaper:-). It could be argued that only 2 of the lights are high beam anyway.

Tricled 2,000 lumen driving lights are LED's and do not require a relay nor do they draw excessive power.

PistonBlown
07-06-2013, 05:39 AM
Tricled 2,000 lumen driving lights are LED's and do not require a relay nor do they draw excessive power.

Don't worry Martin I know you sell them as I had a look a few days ago:-) And yes your stuff is always top notch so I know they would work well, they are going to be my fall back if I can't do this using the standard lights. This is really an aesthetics thing, I like my bikes to look uncluttered and the Spyders I've seen with extra lights you can always tell they are a bolt on. Just being a fussy bugger:-)