PDA

View Full Version : Those with the HMF exhaust

3 wheeler
07-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Have you tried to put a quiet core in it? HMF says it's not available with street exhausts, but they also show how to put a quiet insert in their elliptical exhausts on their website. I have an HMF pipe on my Atv and without a quiet core it is unbelievably loud.

Flanker
07-05-2013, 06:38 AM
When you say "they say"........................does that mean stuff you've read on their site/elsewhere, or you actually talked with someone at HMF? If you haven't talked directly with them................it's likely a good idea to do so. good luck!

3 wheeler
07-05-2013, 06:57 PM
When you say "they say"........................does that mean stuff you've read on their site/elsewhere, or you actually talked with someone at HMF? If you haven't talked directly with them................it's likely a good idea to do so. good luck!

It's what they have posted on their website which is a little bit conflicting. I was just trying to see if anyone on here has the HMF exhaust and has the quiet core in it. Good idea on calling HMF though.....by the way how do you like the Two Brothers exhaust?

Flanker
07-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Fit and finish are top notch. The disclaimer they put on the box and exhaust cautioning you it's for off road and competition use only is no :cus:. It was LOUD.......................I fired it up the first time, walked back inside and ordered one of their P1X silencing tips.......................it's still fairly snarly though. The Harley guys think it's cool.......................oddly enough.

jvicker
07-06-2013, 12:00 AM
You can't put a quiet core on the street pipe. Personally I love the sound of the pipe. Has a nice growl in the lower gears. On the highway it's loud, but not for the rider;).

DrewNJ
07-06-2013, 07:43 AM
I put a core in mine. It was made up by a local guy. As long as the core you use only extends into the pipe and not into the muffler cap your fine. The p1x core won't work unless you ground off the outer tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 wheeler
07-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, I really would prefer the HMF pipe but might go with the Two brothers due to the silencer tip option.

Kratos
07-06-2013, 06:06 PM
I guess volume is a subjective matter, because I don't think my HMF is loud at all. I think it's perfect, and makes the bike sound like a mean machine.

3 wheeler
07-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Yeah I guess it is pretty subjective, I'm just afraid to buy it and be too loud. The HMF pipe on my atv will wake the dead without the quiet core...Lol.

DrewNJ
07-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Hey Guys,
This is what we started out with with our HMF pipes. These are very easy to fab up and I'm pretty sure I've even seen something similar on ebay for very cheap.
Just this insert makes a pretty decent change in sound. My good friend just runs this piece.
Personally, I've extended this piece with an additional 5" length of 1.5" ID pipe that fits over this core. It's noticeably quieter at idle but still rumbles really good when you get on it.
The best thing about this is that it's totally tuneable with some creativity with pieces of 1.5" piping, an angle grinder, drill, hammer etc etc....

DrewNJ
07-06-2013, 09:12 PM
a few more...

Flanker
07-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Hey Drew! Nice home made mod!

3 wheeler
07-07-2013, 12:00 PM
I agree, nice job.....:thumbup:

Colin
07-23-2013, 07:17 PM
When I purchased my HMF a little while ago, Im sure they had 2 types of Exhaust, cant remember exactly but I think it was Eliptical and Performance Series. Eliptical showed as having a quiet core, but not the Performance Series.
So in my haste to hurry up and order one I ordered in error the Performance Series one, it arrived in New Zealand about 2 weeks later I put it on and absolutely love the sound, thought I would get the quiet core anyway and found they dont have them, thats when I realised I had ordered the wrong one. Friends with Harleys love the sound also, dont know how most of them can hear it over their bikes lolol
Only down side is no-one likes following me when we go for group rides lolol. My partner has to follow me most of the time, as I have the radar detector, but she keeps her distance.
Im looking for a used Hindle I can put on when going on long group rides lol