PDA

View Full Version : Akronpovic

Questions
07-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Does the new Akropovic muffler use the Goldwing gasket? If so, does anybody know the part number for the gasket?:spyder2:

DrewNJ
07-04-2013, 10:11 AM
No specific muffler uses the honda gaskets. The two honda gaskets most talked about are in the Y pipe in front of the muffler coming off the header pipes, not at the muffler connection.:thumbup:

Questions
07-04-2013, 11:11 AM
I have a hindle now, I guess my question is do I need to replace a exhaust gasket between the header and the exhaust with the gold wing gasket?

Spydr in KS
07-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I have a hindle now, I guess my question is do I need to replace a exhaust gasket between the header and the exhaust with the gold wing gasket?

The Akropovic would only fit 2013 RS's since they have the RT style engine and catalytic converter. It does not have a gasket

daveinva
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM
The Akropovic would only fit 2013 RS's since they have the RT style engine and catalytic converter. It does not have a gasket

:hun: Unless the exhaust pipe itself is sized differently, what different should that make? :dontknow:

As for the gasket, don't know about the Akrapovic, but with all other exhausts on the RS, you have a gasket that slips on to the connection where the exhaust hooks up to the bike. That gasket is a BRP gasket, and is replaced with a BRP gasket. Your dealer probably has it in stock, you can call ahead and pick one up for about a dollar. If you replace your exhaust, you not only should replace your gasket, you'll probably *need to*-- I put an aftermarket Yoshi exhaust on my RS at about 9,000 miles, and the stock BRP gasket was already baked onto the pipe, and could only be removed through destruction with a screwdriver, i.e. you're not likely to be able to reuse the gasket.

Separately, the *Honda* gaskets are for a different place on the bike, your two Y-gaskets further up the pipes. The Honda Goldwing gaskets last longer than the stock BRP gaskets which is why many people successfully replace their BRP gaskets with the GW gaskets.

DrewNJ
07-04-2013, 02:58 PM
The RT and 2013 RS pipe connections are a bolted flange at about a 45 degree angle. The 08-12 RS/GS pipe connections are on a slip fitting at about a 90 degree angle. They will not interchange without a bit of modding.
Some RS pipes, such as my HMF pipe do not use a gasket at the slip fitting. The hindle does. The Akrapovic pipe uses the RT/2013 RS connections only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions
07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Thank you all for that information. Now I understand that the Goldwing gasket is a header gasket and not a exhaust gasket for the muffler pipe. I never replaced any gasket when I installed the hindle. I don't see where that has been a problem. My hindle has been rebuilt once already and now looks to be leaking around the rivets on the muffler itself, which is why I'm considering changing the muffler itself..Perhaps I should just replace it with another hindle. Any thoughts? I would give serious consideration to buying a used hindle. hint hint.