PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Vendors

shelbydave
07-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I probably won't earn any points on this one, but since people who are NOT supporting vendors here are not allowed to promote a product, shouldn't the paying supporting vendors also have an applied set of rules to follow?
Examples would be
when one vendor plugs their product in a thread that another vendor has started.
Or when a member posts a DIY, only to have a vendor plug a product in that thread.

I'm sure there are more examples, but it all drills down to respect. Would you want a competitor to plug their product in the same thread you are promoting yours?

Just think about how you would feel if the tables were turned before posting a plug to make a few bucks....

just my .02

Ga Blue Knight
07-03-2013, 02:25 PM
:agree: Also when a vendor joins a thread about a problem with another vendor with all kinds of support for the vendor without any new facts or advice, just he's a good guy kind of thing. I understand supporting your friends but lets just deal with the facts and the issue.

Littlebadwolf
07-03-2013, 02:30 PM
I totally agree...Lamont has spent hundreds or thousands of hours to bring this forum to the point where it's successful and if vendors want to promote thier products they should pay the sponsorship fee. There are sponsors that market duplicate items for the Spyders and as far as I'm copncerned the rules of supply and demand dictate who's gonna order a particular product from a particular vendor but at no time promoting thier product in a thread that's started by another vendor..Quality products, customer service, pricing and a good product will weed out the competition in the long run. I, for one, respect all the efforts our sponsors put into making this forum successful and at the same time Lamont gets paid for his tremendous service to the members of this forum.

GuitarPlayer
07-03-2013, 02:44 PM
How about reminding the supporting vendors that if they're going to advertise, do in the forum provided for the vendors?

Tony

Littlebadwolf
07-03-2013, 02:46 PM
How about reminding the supporting vendors that if they're going to advertise, do in the forum provided for the vendors?

TonyDefinitely...Lamont set up a process for this...

shelbydave
07-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Tony

A couple other boards I'm on have separate sections for each vendor in the supporting vendors section. That way not only can they post / promote their products, but members can start threads to ask questions about certain products.

Then when the vendors are posting in the other sections, they are posting just like another member, and not promoting a product, unless they have a specific solution to the OP's question / issue.

ARtraveler
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM
I also agree that vendors should not be coming in on other vendors posts, and that vendors should not come to the defense of other vendors if there is a complaint issue going on.

I personally try to support the vendors on the site wherever possible. I usually start there, and if they have what I want at a reasonable price--I buy from them. When I find a large disparity in price, I usually go to plan B.

I have no problem with those that mention other products and are currently not an official vendor on SL. IMO: Blatant advertising though, without become a vendor, is wrong.

Bob Denman
07-03-2013, 05:00 PM
I...:shocked: can agree with what is being said...
But it's tough to nail down a policy that's really workable... (JMHO)
The forum needs supporting sponsors, and you really have to be careful about biting the hand that is feeding you.

shelbydave
07-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Tony

Definitely...Lamont set up a process for this...

I...:shocked: can agree with what is being said...
But it's tough to nail down a policy that's really workable... (JMHO)
The forum needs supporting sponsors, and you really have to be careful about biting the hand that is feeding you.

In a sense, some have already bit their own hand from my Point of view... To hijack another vendors thread to sell a competing product is just plain disrespectful as far as I'm concerned, and thus I will vote with my feet, and take business elsewhere.

Bob Denman
07-03-2013, 09:15 PM
...And that's a good way to handle it. :thumbup:
Question:
Do you think that it'd be a good idea to let the offender know about your decision?
(Via a PM; of course!)

wyliec
07-04-2013, 06:27 AM
In a sense, some have already bit their own hand from my Point of view... To hijack another vendors thread to sell a competing product is just plain disrespectful as far as I'm concerned, and thus I will vote with my feet, and take business elsewhere.

I couldn't agree with you more (on the bolded statement).

I won't mention names; but, I find this one supporting vendor to get his product (product name) in anytime he can, which I find annoying and why I decided never to buy from him. I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm probably one of the only members who feels this way about this vendor. I'll also say that he gets high praises from those that have installed his product.

I guess that's enough said. I get annoyed just thinking about it.

Trickie Dick
07-04-2013, 07:37 AM
I couldn't agree with you more (on the bolded statement).

I won't mention names; but, I find this one supporting vendor to get his product (product name) in anytime he can, which I find annoying and why I decided never to buy from him. I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm probably one of the only members who feels this way about this vendor. I'll also say that he gets high praises from those that have installed his product.

I guess that's enough said. I get annoyed just thinking about it.

:agree::gaah:

Bob Denman
07-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Wylie,
I can certainly understand why you've made that decision; have you PMed him with your concerns about this tactic? He might just not realize how it comes across to his potential customers, and if he knew; I'm sure that it wouldn't be happening...

Ga Blue Knight
07-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Having been a vendor of a non motorcycle product on a totally different forum, I have some thoughts to share. Designing and Developing a product, then trying to market it is an all consuming process. The product and its marketing in some case takes over your life especially if you really believe it will help and improve many of your friends or fellow forum members experience. The vendors here may in most cases feel that way as well. They are so charged up about it that they just want to spread the word. There are others who unfortunately just are in for it for the $$$$. I would contact the vendor who may be overstepping and in a courteous manner describe how you feel and suggestions for dealing with the rest of us. Also separate in your own mind those who praise a product from the praise of the vendor. We all have to get along here and the vendors for the most part provide us with high quality well thought out products not seen elsewhere.

Bob Denman
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
:agree: A bit of tact, will go an awful long way in keeping eveybody happy... :thumbup:

wyliec
07-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Bob D.,

I would never contact the vendor and try to tell him how to conduct his business or himself. That's not my place. Also, I'm kind of short in the tact department and long on sarcasm.

I was not even going to post on this thread because it's opening a can of worms. To me, what I look at as shameless self promotion others may look at as just a technique to let others know of his product. This is just one of those instances where we form are opinion/preferences based on our own personal dealings with others over a period of time.

My own opinion is just let it go as it has been. My preference is to never buy from that vendor.

How'd I do Rattigan_Roger with opinion vs preference?

ARtraveler
07-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Wylie,
I can certainly understand why you've made that decision; have you PMed him with your concerns about this tactic? He might just not realize how it comes across to his potential customers, and if he knew; I'm sure that it wouldn't be happening...

I believe I know who we are talking about. I have also used the PM method--it did not work. Que Sera, Sera.

As others have mentioned--I vote with my billfold, and let others make their own decisions also.

shelbydave
07-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Overall, the vendors on here are well behaved. I'm sure that the vendor the others have mentioned in this thread is probably part of the reason FOR this thread.
I will say that I do NOT have a problem with the vendors starting a thread to promote new products. I look forward to these posts, and enjoy seeing the new stuff coming out.
I also would not have an issue if a member starts a thread ASKING about a certain modification, that the vendors jump in there with their goods, and how they can help... That is how information is shared.
I also don't have a problem with one vendor defending another vendor if a problem arises, as long as it stays civil, and it is simply a "personal" reference, and not some sort of business jargon that I'm sure the person with the issue doesn't care about... He spent money, he sees no product... From his perspective that is all he cares about... He doesn't care about customs, shipping, stocking, or any part of business.... He ordered a part, and expects to get it... that simple... So if a vendor comes on and says "I know him, and I don't believe he is trying to rip you off." that is a personal reference, and to me is fine... Other members will chime in on both the positive, and negative of dealing with him... No problem.

I do have a problem with hijacking threads to push a product. If a specific vendors product is being discussed, then other vendors should only chime in if they are doing so as members who have experience with THAT product.

Like I originally said... It boils down to respect.

Bob Denman
07-04-2013, 05:24 PM
VERY well-put! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif

Buttsy
07-04-2013, 05:33 PM
IMO the supporting vendors should have a "code of ethics" but I would suggest that it would be totally up to the owner of the forum to set and enforce them. Really has little to do with what I think (member) or someone else (a different member) thinks? If I can just throw something out there............ perhaps the owner of the site has a code of ethics for vendors and he also PMs any offending vendor party? Would the membership really need to know about it? 2 cents............lots of assumptions can be made without knowledge?

Bob Denman
07-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Now is that an opinion, a preference, a fact, or a preconception? :shocked:
We need Roger in here to help sort things out! :roflblack:

Firefly
07-05-2013, 12:01 AM
I really haven't noticed much of a problem out here between the various vendors. They all seem to play pretty nice together and are generally respectful.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr. lol--- see who gets that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
*BING* :thumbup: :D