PDA

View Full Version : So your rubbers broke? Mine too! Try this alternative...

csmead
06-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Okay, so now that I got your attention....The Rubbers on my Mono Cowl Seat broke again and of course, the special rubbers are no where to be found. So my fabricating spouse and crafty/sewing me had a discussion on what an expensive racket that can become...buying and breaking rubbers weekly....so we came up with this. We have shared the "fix" with Spydroe and Spyder114...they agree that this is fast, cheap and longer lasting. We bought the supplies at Michaels...warning: we bought grommets to give it a finished look...but decided that the metal would put too much pressure on the hooks underneath the cowl and may cause a break or bend.

Buy this at any craft store...two sided Velcro Strips.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/csmead/replacing%20rubbers%20on%20Mono%20Cowl/FixIt011.jpg

Cut four strips long enough to overlap each side; allow extra to travel around the seat and hydraulic ram.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/csmead/replacing%20rubbers%20on%20Mono%20Cowl/FixIt014.jpg

Use a hole puncher to center punch a hole about 1/2 inch in from one end. It does not matter whether you place the strip face up or down as each side of the Velcro is different. As you wrap the strips underneath the seat just feel which sides grab.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/csmead/replacing%20rubbers%20on%20Mono%20Cowl/FixIt013.jpg

We placed the back strips underneath the hydraulic ram, so it does not interfere with the function.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/csmead/replacing%20rubbers%20on%20Mono%20Cowl/FixIt020.jpg

After you attach and detach a few times, you can do it with your eyes closed! You can remove the mono cowl in seconds...it does not matter if you ruin or lose the strip; just make another!
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/csmead/replacing%20rubbers%20on%20Mono%20Cowl/FixIt019.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/csmead/replacing%20rubbers%20on%20Mono%20Cowl/FixIt015.jpg
Nothing to see in the last picture...just wanted to show off my ride! Turning over 5,000 miles this week! Thank you Spydroe for the bling and helping me to post this for everyone!

GA-SPYDER
06-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Purchased the cover and right away I didn't like the "rubbers". I'll try your fix, that is if I ever take it off. ;D

csmead
06-15-2008, 10:23 PM
We (fellow spyderryder Pat and I) found that with the constant movement, bumps, road heat etc. the rubbers rub, dry out and the knobs break off. You might not notice until you have only two holding on. Please check them frequently or you may lose your cowl someday.

Lamonster
06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Cool mod :bigthumbsup: I'll move this to the "How To" section.

Spydroe
06-16-2008, 05:38 PM
That is such a simple and great way to hold the cowl on. I don't think a strap is going to break ever but at least you don't have to wait two weeks or more and pay ten dollars for new rubber snubbers. Nice Job Carol :bigthumbsup:

spyder114
06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
That is such a simple and great way to hold the cowl on. I don't think a strap is going to break ever but at least you don't have to wait two weeks or more and pay ten dollars for new rubber snubbers. Nice Job Carol :bigthumbsup:
Good job I fixed mine as soon as Pat told me what you did. That works GREAT !!!!. Nice job Carol. You missed a really nice ride on Thursday, sure wish and your hubby could have gone with us. Pat's 88 year old dad went with us, rode that baby just fine. :congrats:

John, Spyder # 114

Buelldog
06-16-2008, 07:00 PM
How are you keeping your velcro straps secure on the cowl anchoring posts .....I made my slot in the straps just large enough to go over the posts but with a little movement or adjustment of the cowl and I have a loose strap that comes off the post?? I still think it's a shame that anchoring this baby has turned in to an owners do it yourself project....the cords that come with the unit 100% Mickey Mouse!

csmead
06-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Buelldog; husband Bob suggests this...
Take the two longest straps and punch two holes in each of the two straps; 1st hole about 1/2 from end and 2nd 2.5 inches from the end.
Turn over mono cowl. At the widest part there are three torx screws holding the backrest pad to cowl. Remove the two outer screws. Place straps with the end holes of strap through screws between pad and cowl, tighten screws. Now place the 2nd hole through the hook on the cowl. When you overlap the straps make them a snug fit...not super tight...don't want to put pressure on the hooks of the mono cowl.
Just take the 2nd set of straps, looping the hook through the punched holes...remember that these straps go outward around the seat bottom, over the hydraulic ram, laying snuggly against each other.

Spydroe
06-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Buelldog; husband Bob suggests this...
Take the two longest straps and punch two holes in each of the two straps; 1st hole about 1/2 from end and 2nd 2.5 inches from the end.
Turn over mono cowl. At the widest part there are three torx screws holding the backrest pad to cowl. Remove the two outer screws. Place straps with the end holes of strap through screws between pad and cowl, tighten screws. Now place the 2nd hole through the hook on the cowl. When you overlap the straps make them a snug fit...not super tight...don't want to put pressure on the hooks of the mono cowl.
Just take the 2nd set of straps, looping the hook through the punched holes...remember that these straps go outward around the seat bottom, over the hydraulic ram, laying snuggly against each other.
Now that you are a pro now posting pictures, how about a picture of this thread? You can bitch me out the next time I stop by.

spyder3rdr
06-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah , mine broke too... I'll do the "Velcro fix" as you guys have ... nice job !!!

Zerocool
09-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah , mine broke too... I'll do the "Velcro fix" as you guys have ... nice job !!!

Popped my rubber last night in the dark... man was I :cus: :banghead:

What a silly design for a part that costs a few hundred bucks :barf:

... guess I go get the velcro... :(

zzneonzz
10-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm about to do this to mine as well since after only 2 weeks of it being installed (first time removed) i noticed that oen of them was broke arghhhhhh

Anyone know the aproximate size to cut the strips ?

kalavera
04-03-2009, 04:46 PM
This is a great mod. I dont take on and off the cowl very often. So I havent had any problems with the rubber cords holding the cowl on (that I knew of). This past sunday, I my nephew wanted a ride. I went to remove the cowl and found the 2 of the 4 cords were already broken.

I remembered reading this thread and went to wal-mart today to get some velcro. I got the 30" x 5/8" black soft sew on velcro.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/bevfabriccrafts_2045_759922835.jpg

NOT THE STICKY BACK. I cut the 30" strips in half. Folded over one of the ends about 1" and put a single punch hole in the strip. The Fold over is to help not rip so easily. I slipped the velcro over the tab where the rubber strap went, using the hole I just made. Then I followed the above directions for strapping it to the seat.

Works Great. I might go ahead and get some sticky back velcro and attach it to the bottom of my seat to make it easy to velcro on and off.

dave01
06-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Looked at mine today and 2 of the 4 were already broken, after just 3 weeks on the Spyder. Velcro mod, here I come.

Really dont want to chase this thing down the road if it comes off.

DynamoBT
06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Just seeing this now. Thanks for the fix description and pictures. Those little rubbers with the knobby ends were junk!!!

Thanks!!!!

2spyders
07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Went to put gas in the tank and saw these little black balls rolling around. Off to get some velcro, too.

I hope BRP is reading about this so that they can come up with a better way to attach the seat cowl.
Obviously, their way isn't working. :gaah:

Amanda B
07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Just got the mono seat cowl delivered today...what a pain those little rubbers are. Then I bought the one sided velcro...guess I should have read directions a little better.

Derek Paisley
07-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Great mod! Am looking to pick up the Cowl and this will work out great!

Thx!! :2thumbs:

porboy
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
If my "RUBBER" breaks I'm leaving the country.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

ataDude
07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
If my "RUBBER" breaks I'm leaving the country.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Based on your avatar pic, I doubt you'd get an opportunity to use it. :yikes: :D

Rando
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Based on your avatar pic, I doubt you'd get an opportunity to use it.I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

porboy
07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
ataDUDE,

I think you hurt my feelings...:roflblack:

ataDude
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
ataDUDE,

I think you hurt my feelings...:roflblack:

Sorry about that. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-023.gif

porboy
07-28-2009, 09:06 PM
:2thumbs:

XRDave
02-09-2010, 12:19 AM
I had my seat cowl fitted last thursday (it was in for its 15,000 km service anyway) and today being tuesday, Ive noticed that three of the rubber tie downs are broken. I was hoping that they would have lasted at least a week before I had to start looking for the velcro replacement. :(

Amanda B
02-09-2010, 09:22 PM
I had hoped that too...didn't happen though. Cheap attachment pieces! The velcro works much better and lasts longer, only problem I had with it was it loosened up over time.

XRDave
02-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Oh well tomorrow is velcro day, Im just lucky the advice was so easy to find. :2thumbs:

ntxYguy2009
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I found another solution that is similar, but involves more time to setup. I purchased eight small eye bolts and installed them in the seat and cowl. I then purchased four small bungie cords and attached them from side to side.

So far, holding tight and very easy to remove. The only thing that would possibly need to be replaced over time would be the bungie cords.

David

ARtraveler
09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Ours broke about a month after installing the cowl. Dealer could not get replacement parts. We took it off when we installed the comfort seat. Anyone want to buy a RED seat cowl? $100.00 plus shipping via ups. That's less than half the MSRP. Rubber bungees missing of course!.

Rando
09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I've got a yellow one for sale, same deal!

Fly boy
04-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Just found this!!!

Been using bungee cords, and the put a tiny hole in the seat cover. Going to do this mode, and SOON!

Riker
05-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Looks like I am going to be doing this tomorrow. My rubbers lasted a total of 3 weeks...what a joke.. :gaah: This mod was a great idea...gotta love velcro.. Thanks for this post !! :2thumbs:

Update... Installed this mod today...worked like a charm .....

Humansculpture
07-07-2011, 12:08 PM
I didn't even bother with the rubbers that came with the cowl....the Velcro is so easy to do and really holds the cowl on tight. Great thinking!!!

Derek Paisley
08-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Thank you so very much for that!

I have not ridden with my cowl on for some time now. Gonna head out and pick up the velcro ASAP!

D

Derek Paisley
09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
CSMEAD, your innovative solution to keep the cowl secured is working perfectly well for me since I installed it.

Thank you so very much!

D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD (SpYder ver. RSS)

2012 Spyder RSS
Matte Black & Green
Hindle Exhaust
Shorter Sport Blacked out Wndshield
Black ISO Grips with Green Accent rings
Matching Mono Seat Cowl (Velcro attachment)
Matching SportsRack
Matching BackRest
K&N Air Filter
Two Brothers Juice Box Pro
BRP HID lighting
Trunk liner (not overly impressed with)
Knee Pads
Throttle Boss

mcaccamise
01-20-2013, 05:50 AM
My new cowl mounted only lasted one hot night in the garage and the next day the cowl was sitting half off the seat good thing i noticed it before i left for a day ride.
My fix was a little different since i dident see this post and i had plenty of zip ties long and short i made an adjustable zip tie strap for the front and back that can be adjusted from under the seat and kept snug with a little tug of the long ties front and back.
I have never had good luck with rubbers lasting more than one night anyways.
Mike