PDA

View Full Version : Spyder 2008

benjag
07-02-2013, 09:02 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.png I have a Spyder 2008 standard. Oct 2012 on a beautiful clear morning, I was going to work on my bike. I was about two blocks away from my place, may be on 2nd or3rd gear, I lost control of my bike. The next thing I remember standing in front of an officer. According to eye witness, the bike fliped twice on a dry road. 95% of the damage in one side of the bike. Few days earlier the bresak light was coming on I took the bike to the dealer and had it checked out. I was told everything checked out fine. I think the right front wheel locked fliping the bike. I was lucky the road was empety.

I did not fix the bike I was not sure I was going to ride again. I am getting my bike fixed and would like to ride again. I would like to know if any one had a semiler problem. What should I ask the deeler to look for and fix. I was told that there was no code.

Thanks for the help. benjag

SpyderAnn01
07-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Wheel bearings maybe? Let us know what you find out.

NancysToy
07-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Make sure the steering (DPS) recall was done.

BajaRon
07-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Very strange. Would be nice to know the reason. You don't remember a thing? Pulling to one side, applying the brakes, nothing?

Big Arm
07-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Hope you'll keep us posted.........did you have the extended warranty ?

Chupaca
07-03-2013, 12:55 AM
I sure hope the shop does some investigating. Would be a shame not to find out what happened. Just make sure they go over the front end top to bottom inside and out..glad you came away from the mishap and are getting back on the horse as they say..good luck and be safe..!! :thumbup:

Questions
07-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Wheel bearings maybe? Let us know what you find out.

So you think wheel bearings would cause the brake warning indicator to come on? better park your Spyder!

ARtraveler
07-03-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.png I have a Spyder 2008 standard. Oct 2012 on a beautiful clear morning, I was going to work on my bike. I was about two blocks away from my place, may be on 2nd or3rd gear, I lost control of my bike. The next thing I remember standing in front of an officer. According to eye witness, the bike fliped twice on a dry road. 95% of the damage in one side of the bike. Few days earlier the bresak light was coming on I took the bike to the dealer and had it checked out. I was told everything checked out fine. I think the right front wheel locked fliping the bike. I was lucky the road was empety.

I did not fix the bike I was not sure I was going to ride again. I am getting my bike fixed and would like to ride again. I would like to know if any one had a semiler problem. What should I ask the deeler to look for and fix. I was told that there was no code.

I note this is your first post. :welcome: Maybe a little more information. Incident happened on Oct 12--(eight months ago). Don't remember what happened prior to flipping over? :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Bob Denman
07-03-2013, 09:09 PM
The wheel might have locked up... with ABS?????? :dontknow:

benjag
07-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the response. The Spyder was a demo bike had about 5,000 miles. I probably put on another 1500 miles. Had no problems besides the break light coming on, all the recalls done. Had no pulling no squiks smooth running, good paved dry road. I think I am an experience rider started to ride bikes early with dirt bike, ride ATV. This bike had no indication that there was something wrong. I have asked the dealer to shair this with BRP they have declined.

Thanks Benjag.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.png

Bob Denman
07-04-2013, 05:00 AM
So you had this GS to the dealer prior to the accident, and everything checked out? What about SINCE the accident? What has been found. "No codes", doesn't mean that nothing is wrong; it just means that the computer is happy with what it's seeing in the systems of the bike...
If your dealer can't separate crash damage from mechanical breakdowns; you might need a new dealer...
Good luck!:thumbup:

BajaRon
07-04-2013, 11:11 AM
There is a lot about this that seems very odd....

ARtraveler
07-04-2013, 02:22 PM
There is a lot about this that seems very odd....

Queue music for Rawhide:
Trollin, trollin, trollin, keep those posts a trollin... :roflblack: ??

benjag
07-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Thanks again.

When you reside in a small town there is not a lot of choices. When I bought the bike I paid off in full, I thought It was a safe bike big and with all the latest gismoes. BRP marketed the bike a cross betwin a sports car and a bike. I did not even have full coverage. The delership has also changed hands recently.

Ihave tried to contact BRP In several occations one time I stayed on the phone over an hour with busy line. BRP is a big company making snow mobils jet skis railrosd cars to jets, like one crashed somewhire near NY. They should have some better service.

Thanks benjag.

Bob Denman
07-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Are you SURE that this wasnt' just a case of "Rider Error"?
Catch the edge of the roadway, wander off while looking around, over-correcting wth too many steering inputs?
We'll need a whole lot more info if you're looking for any useful advice...
Otherwise; what's your real game here? :dontknow:
And I don't mean to sound suspicious; but you've not given us much to work with...
Wheels don't just lock up... the ABS keeps an eye out for that sort of misbehavior
A bad wheel bearing won't just stop a wheel without first giving so much warning, that you'd have been off the bike; wondering what was wrong...

And now we're hearing about lousy customer service and busy signals... What do you think that we're going to think?

boborgera
07-07-2013, 08:15 AM
BRP is a big company making snow mobils jet skis railrosd cars to jets, like one crashed somewhire near NY. They should have some better service.

Thanks benjag.

BRP The manufactures of Spyders , Do not make railroad cars or jets......

Bob Denman
07-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Yes that's very true :thumbup:; but they are the offspring of the Company that does... ;)

Farmbanker
07-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Did anyone take pictures of any kind of black mark on the pavement? If the wheel locked up there almost certainly should have been one.....

benjag
07-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Hay Thanks

I do not have mutch to go on. If some one gave me this senerio I do not know what I would think. Montecristo FM 1925 a 65 MPH road Edinburg TX between valverde and 3rd.. A road that I drive every day, there is nothing to look around for me. I do have the police report, dose not say anything about marking. There was no other car or person involved, I am not very good with the computers, I am going ot find out how to post pictures on the text and will post pictures.

The parent company of BRP makes all the things I said and more.

Bhanks

ARCTIC
07-08-2013, 09:37 PM
U flipped a spyder on flat ground?

mcaccamise
07-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Who is the parent co of BRP? This all sounds quite a bit strange to me fliping a spyder one or two times and then standing around to talk to the police afterwards,no aparent mechanical problems verry strange.:popcorn::popcorn:

MrLooney
07-09-2013, 06:54 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

boborgera
07-09-2013, 08:21 AM
The parent company of BRP makes all the things I said and more.

Bhank

Nope! They don't!!
But i'm not arguing.........

I'm simply explaining i'm right......

Bob Denman
07-09-2013, 08:54 AM
So Bob...
What would be the best way to describe the relationship between BRP, and Bombardier? :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
07-09-2013, 09:04 AM
So you think wheel bearings would cause the brake warning indicator to come on? better park your Spyder!

That appears to be a rude remark to a very helpful person that was suggesting a direction to examine. I notice that you have very few posts on this forum and would suggest that you look at the people on here as helpful rather than arrogant or ignorant.

SpyderAnn01, I will apologize for the rude remark made by a newer member, unless of course that newer member would care to step up to the plate and remove his/her rude post.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
07-09-2013, 09:37 AM
:agree: Anne's got just about 70,000 miles of Spyder experience... :thumbup:

Derek Paisley
07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
That appears to be a rude remark to a very helpful person that was suggesting a direction to examine. I notice that you have very few posts on this forum and would suggest that you look at the people on here as helpful rather than arrogant or ignorant.

SpyderAnn01, I will apologize for the rude remark made by a newer member, unless of course that newer member would care to step up to the plate and remove his/her rude post.

Cruzr Joe

Actually Joe, thespyderryder's been here since 2010. Yourself on the other hand, look to have joined last year. As for interpreting TheSpyderRyder's post as Rude... I certainly did not see it as rude. Just my unbiased observation. A lack of posts on behalf of thespyderryder does not and should not imply his/her competence or intentions when they partake in an open forum. I've been on this site since '09, yet only have 210 posts. I am certainly not a newer member by a long shot.

Bob Denman
07-09-2013, 10:53 AM
It's not the time; it's the miles...
Anne has more than paid her dues; Joe's just got her back; that's all... :thumbup:

Derek Paisley
07-09-2013, 11:04 AM
It's not the time; it's the miles...
Anne has more than paid her dues; Joe's just got her back; that's all... :thumbup:
I agree completely. Just pointing out that a users post count is not an accurate means to measure his/her knowledge/competence. That doing so is in itself, ignorant.

Bob Denman
07-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I can agree with that...
But his response to what Anne suggested was a bit on "the other side of polite".
I'll admit to not agreeing with her assessment, but rather than suggest that she park her bike; I gave my reason for not thinking that it would have been the source of the OP's problems...

Cruzr Joe
07-10-2013, 05:51 PM
MY TURN

Who wants Ice Cream?

benjag
08-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks

Everyone for commenting, wheather it was healpful or not. I have not replied for awhile, sorry was very busy and had th bike in the shop. I had the bike fiuxed, had it home for several days, cost me around $ 1700.00 some cosmetic work needs to be done.

I did explained to the dealer what happend and what I thought, I told them about the break failure notice and they have checked the bike reset and told me it was OK. I clearly stated that I wanted the bike to be road worthy and all the break system should be checked. It is in record. I did ride the bike in the property cuppole of times, did not have enough guts to ride it on the street. This Saturday I took the bike on the street, before I took the ride I prayed, which I do not do very often. I went to Las Flores about 15 miles from my place and back. I stoped in front of my gate, as the gate wsa opening ( I have a automatic gate opener) I saw flashing on the dash board BREAK FAILUR. I did stop by the deasler and told them what ih going on they arew going to pick up the bike Thursday. By the way the dealer told me when I picked up the bike that there was no code stored.

If there is someone that can help me I will like that. Bob thanks you seem to be knowledgeable.

Thanks benjag.

ARCTIC
08-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Post a picture of your spyder... we'd love to see what you got going on;)

Tierhog
08-07-2013, 02:14 AM
I have a 2008 production year (August) GS and perform my own maintenance. I have not heard of anything this extreme to date. Brake failures have occurred in others with low brake fluid, accidentally riding the pedal, partially engaging E-Brake, amongst other mechanical issues. We would love to see any documents of the repair or pictures.. Sounds like quite the episode :eek::confused: