PDA

View Full Version : New New Rider

maliamd
07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Hello Everyone. I just purchased a 2013 RT/S. This is my first bike!! I am very new to riding and would appreciate any tips, suggestions, help etc. I will be taking a 3 wheel basic rider course for my license so that's a start. It has been a life long dream and a bucket list item to own a bike but being a mother, wife, and having a career took precedence over a bike. Now it is time for me so here I go!! :clap:

kinggeek
07-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the best spot on the Internet for learning about Spyders. I'm not a Lady Spyder Ryder and hopefully don't get scolded for posting here.

I did he same thing, my 2011 rt-s was my first and I am 44. Now it has 30000 miles on it.

Congrats on he new ryde you will love it!

Jeriatric
07-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Welcome.

You may find this worth reading and saving for future reference.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&highlight=DO%27S+DONTS

jerpinoy
07-01-2013, 11:15 AM
:welcome: Make sure you check out the do and don't. Keep you owners manual at bay. Most of the answer of any questions are always on your manual. Other questions you may have can be posted here and I'm sure you'll be directed to the right way. Good luck and I'm glad you taking a training course. Take your time learning your new ride and enjoy the ride safely. God Bless.

PrairieSpyder
07-01-2013, 11:21 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new Spyder! Not only is this the best place on the web for all things Spyder, but Maggie Valley is a great place to enjoy your ryde! Did you see all of us there in June?

maliamd
07-01-2013, 11:37 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new Spyder! Not only is this the best place on the web for all things Spyder, but Maggie Valley is a great place to enjoy your ryde! Did you see all of us there in June?

You bet! Ya'll looked great and finally pushed me forward to make the decision to join the group!! Maggie is a great location to ride...BRP and Smoky Mountain Park are in our backyard. Great riding to come. We spend our winters in Sanibel Fl so we will have some great rides there too. Plan on riding the keys this winter! WooHoo!! ;)

lookerjdc
07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Hello Everyone. I just purchased a 2013 RT/S. This is my first bike!! I am very new to riding and would appreciate any tips, suggestions, help etc. I will be taking a 3 wheel basic rider course for my license so that's a start. It has been a life long dream and a bucket list item to own a bike but being a mother, wife, and having a career took precedence over a bike. Now it is time for me so here I go!! :clap:

Taking the trike course will certainly help you learn the ins and outs of 3 wheeling - will they allow you to take the course on your own bike?

find a local community college or shopping center that is closed on weekends and use their parking lot to practice like quick stops, quick turns, etc

take your time and ENJOY your new ride

maliamd
07-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Taking the trike course will certainly help you learn the ins and outs of 3 wheeling - will they allow you to take the course on your own bike?

find a local community college or shopping center that is closed on weekends and use their parking lot to practice like quick stops, quick turns, etc

take your time and ENJOY your new ride

Both my husband and I are taking the course. We will be bringing the CanAm and sharing. The local community college is bringing in a second instructor which will allow us to share the bike and running us both through the courses. We live in a development here in Maggie and will be practicing turns, stops, reverse, etc. I would like to be able to get some speed up and practice shifting but from what I hear first gear goes to 28mph and this development or even a parking lot won't handle speeds much higher than this.

lookerjdc
07-01-2013, 02:17 PM
yes, you can wind 1st gear up to 28, but in practicing, shift into 2nd gear and just cruise around your development or the college parking lots

if they have 'long' parking lots you can run up your speed to practice quick stops

just ride and get comfortable

ARtraveler
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Both my husband and I are taking the course. We will be bringing the CanAm and sharing. The local community college is bringing in a second instructor which will allow us to share the bike and running us both through the courses. We live in a development here in Maggie and will be practicing turns, stops, reverse, etc. I would like to be able to get some speed up and practice shifting but from what I hear first gear goes to 28mph and this development or even a parking lot won't handle speeds much higher than this.

You can go way beyond 28 mph in first gear. Recommended shift point is 5000-5500 rpms. The engine gets loud--but you are not hurting it. If you go to 2nd in parking lot areas--you may be lugging the engine.

SpyderAnn01
07-01-2013, 02:54 PM
:welcome: I would suggest that you stay away from the Tail of the Dragon and the Rattler until you are really comfortable on your new Spyder. :roflblack: Good luck with your MSF class and enjoy your new ride

maliamd
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
:welcome: I would suggest that you stay away from the Tail of the Dragon and the Rattler until you are really comfortable on your new Spyder. :roflblack: Good luck with your MSF class and enjoy your new ride

Can you please explain Tail of the Dragon and Rattler????

lookerjdc
07-01-2013, 03:12 PM
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

thats the area the owners event was a couple of weeks ago

NOT for new riders.... lol

SpyderAnn01
07-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Can you please explain Tail of the Dragon and Rattler????

They are two routes near you that are quite twisty. The tail of the dragon advertises 318 turns in 11 miles and the Rattler is similar. The Dragon goes to Deals Gap and the Rattler is NC209.

maliamd
07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
They are two routes near you that are quite twisty. The tail of the dragon advertises 318 turns in 11 miles and the Rattler is similar. The Dragon goes to Deals Gap and the Rattler is NC209.

Ok thanks. Duly noted! Since we live here in Maggie will probably start on the BRP during weekdays when the road is super quiet with little or no traffic. Catching the BRP off SR 19 is usually a quiet ride on that stretch of the parkway. Just want to take it easy and get the feel for the bike.

GloryRyders
07-02-2013, 06:01 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new :spyder:.............Ryde Safe and Ryde Often!:yes:

NancysToy
07-02-2013, 07:47 AM
There is a comprehensive skills course in your manual and on the DVD (if the still include one). Set up a course in a parking lot with some half tennis balls or soccer cones and do some parking lot practice. If you know how the Spyder reacts under various conditions, you will ride with confidence.

flamingobabe
07-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Enjoy your new ride....take your time....practice is the best medicine......good advice from others

maliamd
07-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your wise words. I will take them to heart and hit the road very slowly!! :bowdown:

napper39
07-02-2013, 04:42 PM
make sure your new spyder has had the ball joints replaced,they can tell if you nedded that dune by the ser,number of your bike.if they havent done that and you need it make them do that.:chat:

Illinois Boy
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
My guess is... after getting the ball-joints and alignment done... your riding will include intentional tipping of your machine onto two-wheels before too long... just for the sport of it, and all the while smiling! :thumbup:

LindaG
07-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Have had my RS S for four months and have 7k miles on her. Join GOS (Girls on Spyders) facebook, it is great. We got into Littleton CO today for the Mile High Ride. There are a lot of things going on, just jump in.

btcherm
07-03-2013, 05:43 AM
welcome :yes:and ride safe.:spyder2: and have fun.:doorag:

5ft2lilred
07-10-2013, 11:17 PM
I had not ridden a bike for 43 years and got a RS in 2012. That lasted for about 7,000 miles and I wanted the BIG boy (RT LTD). Got it in Oct. 0f 2012 and have 19,700 miles on it! I love it.
You will be very comfortable and get lots of attention. My only suggestion for you is to watch cars coming toward you or on one side or the other. They tend to stare and forget which lane is theirs and come into your lane!
Have fun and gets lots of seat time this summer!:yes:

Ga Blue Knight
07-11-2013, 05:49 AM
:cheers:Welcome new guy have fun and practice a lot before you take on the curves!

CyncySpyder
07-11-2013, 05:52 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64719&d=1363621102 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64718)