PDA

View Full Version : 2013 RSS Questions

quickster47
07-01-2013, 07:55 AM
With all the 2013 ST problems I am wondering if anyone has purchased a 2013 RSS and can report on how you feel about it.

It would also be nice if you previously owned an earlier RSS and can compare the two vehicles.

Reason for the questions is I am going to add another Spyder to our web and was giving serious consideration to the 2013 ST-S but am now feeling just a little bit uneasy about making that purchase and giving more thought to a RSS.

We already own a 2012 White RT-Limited and want a more sport oriented Spyder for short day trips and weekend jaunts.

Carl

Jeffbear
07-01-2013, 01:34 PM
I asked a similar question yesterday! ;) Great minds think alike. I'm interseted in hearing from the RSS owners.

quickster47
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I asked a similar question yesterday! ;) Great minds think alike. I'm interseted in hearing from the RSS owners.

Exactly! I know about the RT and ST problems but like yourself I am looking specifically for RSS owners to reply.

Carl

HuckFin
07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
I absolutely love my 2013 RS-S. This coming from someone who never owned a highway bike. My wife used to ride motorcycle years ago and she loves this RS-S as much if not more than I do. I sat on a ST at the dealership and liked the sitting position better but bought the RS-S, knowing first thing I was going to do is raise the handlebars. (I wound up bolting on the ST bar instead)...Big improvement. At least for us being on the short side. I love the feeling of taking corners fast on this thing as I get more and more comfortable, it just keeps getting better. Anyway no problems so far and bought from a great dealership: Clems in Enumclaw....I would also like to know the difference between the RS and the ST as far as heat issues.

bamaryder
07-01-2013, 03:25 PM
With all the 2013 ST problems I am wondering if anyone has purchased a 2013 RSS and can report on how you feel about it.

It would also be nice if you previously owned an earlier RSS and can compare the two vehicles.

Reason for the questions is I am going to add another Spyder to our web and was giving serious consideration to the 2013 ST-S but am now feeling just a little bit uneasy about making that purchase and giving more thought to a RSS.

We already own a 2012 White RT-Limited and want a more sport oriented Spyder for short day trips and weekend jaunts.

Carl
We traded our 2011 RSS for the 2013 ST-Limited. We did it because my husband was having trouble with arthritis in his knees and nerve damage in his left hand. I also was having trouble driving because of carpal tunnel in both my hands. We wish we would have stuck with our RSS. Never a problem, unlike the ST which has been nothing but a problem.

billrob71
07-01-2013, 10:09 PM
I have a 2013 RSS and notice the heat, I'm finding that it may have to do with the position of the catalytic converter on the RS and ST's

I have very little miles on mine right now but talked to a person that has built bikes I work with and he mentioned jet hot coating the header and possibly deleting the converter. He runs the coating on automobile headers and the heat they put out with the coating is minimal. The converter being right under the center of the bike and with as hot as they get may be alot of the heat transfer.

Other then that the bike is amazing and looking forward to many hours of riding.

mcaccamise
07-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Hi to be perfectally honest with you i would not give up my 2012 RSS it hasent had any major problems and heat hasent been an issue one it doesent have a cat converter and as far as the ride between the two i cant tell the difference though the 2013 has brembo brakes which are a little better 15" wheels and sportyier fenders doesent make my decision any different.
If you get a 13 the first thing u would want to change is the shocks and sway bar to handle as well as my 2012 i would ride both and then decide which one suits you but again im staying with the 12 and wouldent regret it one bit.
Mike

Kratos
07-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Why not get the tried and proven 2012 RSS?.....Is it because you want the latest out? There are still 12's out there brand new, no miles, and heavily discounted.

quickster47
07-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I've called and talked with several dealers sort of local to me here in Tennessee and none of them have any 2012 Spyders left and they have not heard of any dealers now that have a 2012 RSS in stock and available. I may have waited too long to go that route.

Carl

Jeffbear
07-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm looking at all the 2012 RSS's out there. Thats seems to be the one to have.

quickster47
07-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm looking at all the 2012 RSS's out there. Thats seems to be the one to have.

I'm still calling dealers but so far all of them have stated that they have been out of 2012 RSSs for several months. Sigh...

Carl

mcaccamise
07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi Carl
For Sale 2012 RSS only 4800 miles STOCK
Garage kept. Completely stock. No fiddling with engine or exhaust system. OEM backrest. 4,800 mountain road miles. Warranty still valid for 1 more year. 2012 RSS SM5 $16,200

email dogwoodfarmkennels@gmail.com (dogwoodfarmkennels@gmail.com)
phone eight two eight- two one six- six two one one.

Looks to be close to your area Mike

SpyderRx
07-02-2013, 12:37 PM
I have a friend with a 2013 RSS with 600 miles that overheated last week. He said it overheated at stop. When he started it up immediately went into limp mode. Started driving and once it got some air flowing came out of limp mode and didnt overheat again. There seems to be some issue with all the 2013's. the RS and RSS doesn't seem to be as bad because their design doesn't close the body off as much as the ST and RT.

Tanshanomi
07-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I have put about a thousand miles on my 2013 RS-S over the past month or so, and I absolutely love it. I haven't ridden an older RS to compare it to, but having ridden my wife's '12 RT, there is no comparison, even with a BajaRon sway bar. I frankly had no interest in a Spyder of my own until I rode the '13 RS-S at Spyderfest, and fell in love with the flat handling and ergonomics. The 2013 RS bars are perfect for me. I also demo'd the ST at the same time and actually expected to want that more, but I wasn't all that impressed with it.

quickster47
07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi Carl
For Sale 2012 RSS only 4800 miles STOCK
Garage kept. Completely stock. No fiddling with engine or exhaust system. OEM backrest. 4,800 mountain road miles. Warranty still valid for 1 more year. 2012 RSS SM5 $16,200

email dogwoodfarmkennels@gmail.com (dogwoodfarmkennels@gmail.com)
phone eight two eight- two one six- six two one one.

Looks to be close to your area Mike

Mike thanks much for the information. I sent him an eMail about the color and why he is selling it.

Carl

mcaccamise
07-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi Carl,
I did a search here on SL and found the 2012 RSS with a pick its green and black if u want to look it up querry for 2012 RSS for sale and it will show with a pick good luck hope it works for you.
Anyway i do believe your moving in the right direction seems to me the 13 modles still have some issues to work out.
Mike http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/paperclip.png Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70309&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1367538502 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70309&d=1371830735)

quickster47
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks again Mike. Josh and I are in contact and the negotiating is underway. ;)

Carl

mcaccamise
07-02-2013, 11:39 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Kratos http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648463#post648463)
Want to buy an RT, so I need to let the RSS go. It's a 2012 SE5 with 5700 miles. Garage kept, paint looks sparkling new, and service just got recently done. Mods include an HMF pipe, Green air filter, Power Commander V with autotune.......and LED-lit guaranteed to turn heads wherever you go. Asking $14,495.... also for FREE will throw in brand new set of tires and rims, extra touring windshield, and battery tender.
Another one to check out

Black and magnesium

mcaccamise
07-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Carl here is another 12 RSS to look at,
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Kratos http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648463#post648463)
Want to buy an RT, so I need to let the RSS go. It's a 2012 SE5 with 5700 miles. Garage kept, paint looks sparkling new, and service just got recently done. Mods include an HMF pipe, Green air filter, Power Commander V with autotune.......and LED-lit guaranteed to turn heads wherever you go. Asking $14,495.... also for FREE will throw in brand new set of tires and rims, extra touring windshield, and battery tender.

Here's a video....

quickster47
07-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Yes sir, we are also looking at that one. :)

Carl