PDA

View Full Version : Oil level

Topshotta
06-30-2013, 01:08 PM
I am at 800 miles and had my 600 miles serviced at 600 exactly. I checked my oil per the manual and noticed it was low. I checked it several times to make sure I was doing it right. Is it normal for the oil to get low this fast or is it possible that the dealer did not add enough oil.

AWEInCA
06-30-2013, 01:12 PM
ANYTHING is possible when it comes to dealers.

Any leaks showing on the ground? As long as you check the oil using the instructions in the manual, then it is probably low.

NancysToy
06-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Most likely what resulted from the dealer service. It pays to check immediately after you arrive home from the dealer following service. Many are overfilled or underfilled. Be sure you checked the oil at full operating temperature (after a ride) and screwed in the dipstick when checking. Otherwise it may appear low and not really be low.

Topshotta
06-30-2013, 01:55 PM
ANYTHING is possible when it comes to dealers.

Any leaks showing on the ground? As long as you check the oil using the instructions in the manual, then it is probably low.

That was the first thing I checked for; was leaks and there was none.

boborgera
06-30-2013, 08:43 PM
I am at 800 miles and had my 600 miles serviced at 600 exactly. I checked my oil per the manual and noticed it was low. I checked it several times to make sure I was doing it right. Is it normal for the oil to get low this fast or is it possible that the dealer did not add enough oil.

Low as at the add line, Or under the full line......???

Chupaca
06-30-2013, 10:27 PM
I find the best is to check your oil coming in from a ryde. I also found it helpful to remove the o-ring while checking. Just remember to put it back. A lot depends on how much oil you may need to add after ryding. But overfilling come from one of two places..you or someone else. So if you add or someone else has been in you oil you better check it...:lecturef_smilie:

Flanker
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Most likely what resulted from the dealer service. It pays to check immediately after you arrive home from the dealer following service. Many are overfilled or underfilled. Be sure you checked the oil at full operating temperature (after a ride) and screwed in the dipstick when checking. Otherwise it may appear low and not really be low.Good advice.......................I've recently begun checking my oil immediately after a ride; as it only takes about 5 mins to pop off the L access panel; check the oil per manual, and pop the panel back on.

Topshotta
07-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Low as at the add line, Or under the full line......???

Add line

alajeu
07-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Get used to it. These things use oil; more than any other vehicle I have ever driven or ridden in my 66 years. My mechanic said even BRP will tell you that.

The last oil change, I complained to the mechanic that I always have to add oil. When I went to pick it up he said I had overfilled it. He tried to show me how to check it ( same technique I use all the time) and the oil level was barely touching the add line after just being filled by the mechanic. He couldn't explain it. "Maybe it's because it is hot out today". Huh?

I check after every ride and have to add every time. I keep it at the add level for fear of over filling.