PDA

View Full Version : Melted Master Cylinder Reservoir

bamaryder
06-30-2013, 05:46 AM
We have 2200 miles on our ST limited and when we got back from the Owner's Event the brakes started smoking. then we got a brake failure light. I took it to the dealer and they said that the master cylinger melted. Now they say that BRP told them to hold my Spyder until they can design a heat shield to prevent that from happening again. I've heard that this problem has happened to others and I am wondering why there hasn't been a recall? I am also thinking this could take a long time and I will be Spyderless.

Kungfuspyder
06-30-2013, 07:15 AM
We have 2200 miles on our ST limited and when we got back from the Owner's Event the brakes started smoking. then we got a brake failure light. I took it to the dealer and they said that the master cylinger melted. Now they say that BRP told them to hold my Spyder until they can design a heat shield to prevent that from happening again. I've heard that this problem has happened to others and I am wondering why there hasn't been a recall? I am also thinking this could take a long time and I will be Spyderless.
Is your ST at Halls?

Farmboy
06-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Not sure how the st's exhaust... if it has a 30 lb. cat or not but i can see if the wind blowing break fluid onto the cat, may have contributed to the rt's fire that was posted?

Chupaca
06-30-2013, 08:11 AM
there is a problem. Don't know the changes made to the existing frame and design to come up with the ST but there seems to be a miscalculation somewhere. Hope they realize this and make the changes needed soon...:gaah:

DocRags
06-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Is your ST at Halls? No, it's at Pensacola Motorsports.

mjw930
06-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Not sure how the st's exhaust... if it has a 30 lb. cat or not but i can see if the wind blowing break fluid onto the cat, may have contributed to the rt's fire that was posted?

DOT 3/4 brake fluid will burn but it's not considered a combustible substance so wind blowing brake fluid onto the outside of the cat would most likely not ignite a fire.

Sny
06-30-2013, 01:08 PM
DOT 3/4 brake fluid will burn but it's not considered a combustible substance so wind blowing brake fluid onto the outside of the cat would most likely not ignite a fire.
Probably not, but it sure makes a mess. That stuff's corrosive.

Bob Denman
06-30-2013, 05:34 PM
:agree: :gaah:

mjw930
07-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Probably not, but it sure makes a mess. That stuff's corrosive.

That is does..... I guess I need to check the wife's ST to make sure the master cylinder is in good shape and possibly fab a heat shield.

Sny
07-01-2013, 09:06 PM
I'd just wait for BRP to make one. And avoid riding it in the meantime.

Netminder
07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
You would think the engineers/designers at BRP would figure out by now that when you have a motor and exhaust enclosed in so much Tupperware, it is essential to control the heat under there?:dontknow::dontknow: I think they better get things straightened out quickly as sales will drop if word spreads about dangerous heat levels on these machines!:lecturef_smilie: Hot to touch gas caps, burning Rt,melting master cylinders :yikes:and hot seats are just not normal, I don't care what anyone says! I have owned a few bikes over the years and never had any of the heat issue that the Spyder is having. Luckily I have not had any with my 2012 RT, except a bit of a hot foot, but I wear good boots and it is bearable. But I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

flamingobabe
07-02-2013, 09:26 AM
check the spark plugs...my are white...running lean

mjw930
07-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I'd just wait for BRP to make one. And avoid riding it in the meantime.

Sorry but we didn't spend $24K to avoid riding it...............

Netminder
07-02-2013, 10:31 AM

:agree: Dealer should take care of this ASAP!

Cruzr Joe
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
You would think the engineers/designers at BRP would figure out by now that when you have a motor and exhaust enclosed in so much Tupperware, it is essential to control the heat under there?:dontknow::dontknow: I think they better get things straightened out quickly as sales will drop if word spreads about dangerous heat levels on these machines!:lecturef_smilie: Hot to touch gas caps, burning Rt,melting master cylinders :yikes:and hot seats are just not normal, I don't care what anyone says! I have owned a few bikes over the years and never had any of the heat issue that the Spyder is having. Luckily I have not had any with my 2012 RT, except a bit of a hot foot, but I wear good boots and it is bearable. But I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

Harvey at Spyderpops can cure the hot foot on the 2012 RT for a real low price, give him a call 501 627-4008 :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

Rayelljay
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm wondering whether anyone has thought of replacing that large black "cover" over the rear wheel with a grille...???

Jeriatric
07-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm wondering whether anyone has thought of replacing that large black "cover" over the rear wheel with a grille...???

Like this

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4Gp9ixtRh4DI90aciQPTihub5lHLRC gCZuFHZAig2CSwMWCJF:bbq:

Netminder
07-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Harvey at Spyderpops can cure the hot foot on the 2012 RT for a real low price, give him a call 501 627-4008 (tel:501 627-4008) :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
Yes I have seen it. I have his bump skid, just haven't had a hot enough foot to put this mod on yet, but maybe soon!:thumbup: Thanks.

MidLifeCrisis
07-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Like this

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4Gp9ixtRh4DI90aciQPTihub5lHLRC gCZuFHZAig2CSwMWCJF:bbq:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Sny
07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
oh sweet! Put some hinges it and a latch and you can use it to grill Brats!
:bbq:

Sny
07-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't know what to tell ya... I don't want to sit and make payments on something that's suicidal to ride in this condition either.

But I can tell ya, suddenly losing your brakes will change your mind real quick.

At least on the GS there was/is a parking brake which would do SOMETHING. If not eventually stop you.

I recommend calling BRP twice a day and asking for status.
File a complaint via NHTSA.
Call your dealer multiple times a week depending on how much you like them.
Call your insurance company and verify with them if they'll cover your medical expenses if you ride knowing that your brakes might fail any minute.

If you're comfortable with the responses you get from all of the above, ride on! :) It's completely up to you. I just recommended being safe because I would hate to see someone get killed because of this huge, obvious and dangerous flaw that I'm sure showed up in BRP's testing and went ignored (I'm sorry, de-prioritized.)

Yes, I'm frustrated. 3 weeks of the best part of my riding season so far. I expect it'll be months before they put a bandaid on this and another year before they finally fix it like the other dangerous design flaws in previous models.

flamingobabe
07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
mine is parked in our m/c barn...I will not ride it until fixed...I enjoy life too much

Rayelljay
07-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I was wondering if removing that large black plastic cover over the rear wheel, (only 7 screws holding it on), and, using a hole saw of the size you use for setting a lock and cut holes (leaving plenty of meat between) to allow the hot air to escape over the rear wheel. I offer this as a suggestion for an RS with this problem...I don't know if you could treat the RT the same way. I hate to hear of someone without their:spyder2: and this is only a wild suggestion to keep you on the road.

billybovine
07-03-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't know what to tell ya... I don't want to sit and make payments on something that's suicidal to ride in this condition either.

But I can tell ya, suddenly losing your brakes will change your mind real quick.

At least on the GS there was/is a parking brake which would do SOMETHING. If not eventually stop you.

I recommend calling BRP twice a day and asking for status.
File a complaint via NHTSA.
Call your dealer multiple times a week depending on how much you like them.
Call your insurance company and verify with them if they'll cover your medical expenses if you ride knowing that your brakes might fail any minute.

If you're comfortable with the responses you get from all of the above, ride on! :) It's completely up to you. I just recommended being safe because I would hate to see someone get killed because of this huge, obvious and dangerous flaw that I'm sure showed up in BRP's testing and went ignored (I'm sorry, de-prioritized.)

Yes, I'm frustrated. 3 weeks of the best part of my riding season so far. I expect it'll be months before they put a bandaid on this and another year before they finally fix it like the other dangerous design flaws in previous models.

I am confused about about what you said. You say you suddenly lost your brakes. Do you mean that suddenly you had no brakes and you could not stop or you are surprised you had a brake problem. From your pictures it is clear that the plastic melted to the point that the reserve brake fluid for the front brakes leaked out. It appears that fluid path for the reserve fluid for the rear brake is intact and the rear brake should have worked as it should. The front brakes should have continued to work as well but air would have entered the high pressure side of the master cylinder after a couple of uses but still worked in a degraded level.

If I am in error and that is not correct, please explain what I am missing.

quickster47
07-03-2013, 07:47 PM

What exactly where the other dangerous design flaws in previous models you speak of?

Did you personally experience them?

Carl

SpyderAnn01
07-03-2013, 07:54 PM
What exactly where the other dangerous design flaws in previous models you speak of?

Did you personally experience them?

Carl'

He is probably referring to the Dynamic Power Steering recall that happened in the fall of 2010 and affected all models and years.

bamaryder
07-04-2013, 07:08 AM
It is July 4th and we still have not heard anything from BRP or Ghislain Cossette the service manager at BRP. We have reported the melted master brake cylinder to the NHTSA. I hope that we hear something soon. We really miss riding our Spyder and itis not right to pay $25,000 for a bike you can't even ride. Right now I am so mad at BRP for selling these flawed bikes.

JKMSPYDER
07-04-2013, 08:21 AM
My ST-S is going to the dealer tomorrow to have the MC plastic cap replaced. I have already wrapped the exhaust pipe with heat wrap and the dealer will wrap the cap with reflective heat tape. It's odd that your dealer won't try a fix and release the Spyder, while my dealer has suggested this fix until we hear from BRP. Is it wise for me to be riding my Spyder after this fix? Well, I'll let you know as time goes by. I'm not going to let BRP ruin my summer fun by staying silent.

Lamonster
07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Guys, I spoke with BRP and they are currently investigating the situation of the brake master cylinder deformation on some 2013 units.

If you want to have your unit inspected for this possible situation, please call your dealer and appointment to have your Spyder checked out. BRP has communicated with their dealer network on this subject.

Once a solution is available it will be communicated to the dealer network accordingly. This needs to be handle by your local dealer.

StanProff
07-04-2013, 10:37 AM
BRP is no different than any other manufacture be it a motorcycle, car or a weedeater. Vendors are issued submittals and go through a bid process to supply specific parts to be manufactured to certain standards of materials, quality etc. During the manufacturing process sometimes faulty materials get by the quality control or inspection process. It doesn't usually affect the entire line of the product but usually a small percentage. The difficult part is to determine if the defect involves all the parts used in production or just a certain batch of parts used and then determine when this defective batch hit the assembly line. It does take time to Nail down these issues. We do lay down a lot of money for the Spyders and although I have never had any issues I can certainly understand the fustration for those of you that are having the problem. I had a car that was bought new (2010) model that lost 2 transmissions and had a faulty throttle body, (yes, throttle bodies go bad on cars to). I am sure BRP will get to the bottom of the heat issue and the parts breaking down due to the heat. Hopfully sooner than later.

coz
07-07-2013, 03:27 PM
i just saw rabtech's photo of the master cylinder/exhaust pipe. they are like two inches apart. what genius designed that. most plastics melt around 350° . i would think it's easily hotter than that two inches from that pipe.:banghead: W T H .

spyderyderjim
07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
My 2013 Spyder RT-S Master brake cylinder is ok at 3,200 miles, but still added HP reflective heat shield around master cylinder; double wrapped #2 cylinder exhaust pipe and temp dropped to 152 deg. Putting in colder running #9 iridium plugs, with a computer reset from Len helped it to run richer with light black carbon instead of the white it was previously using the #8 plugs. (I also added a 2 Bros muffler before the computer reset). Len can advise your dealer how to reset your Spyder ST to run richer.
Added HP reflective shield over top of #2 cylinder to stop heat around left side & seat. Added Hp reflective heat shield to front & sides of gas tank, gas temp dropped to 128 deg, gas cap is now 116 deg.
Hang in there. Jim

check the spark plugs...my are white...running lean

flamingobabe
07-07-2013, 07:40 PM
My ST will go to Len at PitBull this coming weekend...we will trailer it to Missouri on Friday...see Len Saturday am...