PDA

View Full Version : Spyder or Scorpion??

J-Dub70
06-13-2008, 11:33 PM
I can't help but think - why did BRP go with the Spyder name when the Scorpion seems much more fitting? The "Y" architecture looks much more like a Scorpion than a Spyder, and there are already several car models called Spiders. I think they should have named this machine the Scorpion - then the name would have been as unique as the ride.

Just a thought...

Danimal
06-14-2008, 02:32 AM
The naming ideas for the Spyder go back many years ago to the Can-Am motocross days.... when they had the Black Widow bike.

retread
06-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Back when I was a kid, we won't go into how long ago that was, a "spyder" was a type of sports car, a roadster that was higher performance than the standards. Porsche, Ferrari, Fiat, Alfa-Romeo and quite a few others had "spyders". BRP needed a name for their roadster.

dltang
06-14-2008, 09:49 AM
They even said at the Homecoming that they chose the name Spyder because this is a Roadster. Spyder or spider is a name that has long been associated with Roadsters as retread mentioned above.

Smylinacha
06-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I can't help but think - why did BRP go with the Spyder name when the Scorpion seems much more fitting? The "Y" architecture looks much more like a Scorpion than a Spyder, and there are already several car models called Spiders. I think they should have named this machine the Scorpion - then the name would have been as unique as the ride.

Just a thought...

Hmmm - never thought of that - you have a point there

NancysToy
06-14-2008, 01:12 PM
but nowhere that i've ever seen has it been associated with an 8 leg insect (other than now). and i agree that scorpion is a much better name based on it's shape.

Meaner, too! ;D
-Scotty

spyder3rdr
06-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes :agree: "Scorpion" would have gave it a much closer association with it's look ! but i'm sure with all the companies that use that name would have been a court battle ... i.e. ... Scorpion exhaust , Scorpion alarm systems , i'm sure there are more ... and the Spyder carries the concept of roadster with it !!! :bigthumbsup:

ataDude
06-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Had to be SpYder so that they could put the "Y" in the middle.

That's my guess and I'm stickin' to it. :spyder:

J-Dub70
06-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah - I thought of that too. "Scorpyon" looks funny! ;D

pphantom538
06-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I like scorpion

ld271
06-16-2008, 09:20 PM
he is right here are a lot of things call spyder i think scorpion would have been better it sure looks like one :joke:

shunkmanitu
06-17-2008, 09:00 AM
he is right here are a lot of things call spyder i think scorpion would have been better it sure looks like one :joke:

That is why it needs the Corbin hard bags slung on the back; to fill out that skinny tail end! ;D :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Gemboy
06-17-2008, 11:29 PM
How about painting some black strips on a yellow Spyder and call it ..."Yellow Jacket" or "Stinger"

NancysToy
06-18-2008, 06:40 AM
How about painting some black strips on a yellow Spyder and call it ..."Yellow Jacket" or "Stinger"

Stynger! That works.
-Scotty

Gemboy
06-18-2008, 07:05 AM
ScYpion? Stynger that works too, especially after you install the backrest,
yeh!!! new model for 2009

Lamonster
06-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Back when I was a kid, we won't go into how long ago that was, a "spyder" was a type of sports car, a roadster that was higher performance than the standards. Porsche, Ferrari, Fiat, Alfa-Romeo and quite a few others had "spyders". BRP needed a name for their roadster.
I think James Dean had a run in with that Spyder. :spyder:

NancysToy
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
I think James Dean had a run in with that Spyder. :spyder:

Just saw a Porsche Spyder at a car cruise last week, and immediately thought of James Dean.
-Scotty

docdoru
06-22-2008, 07:45 AM
There is a Scorpion on the market:
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/grinnall_scorpion_III.html

shunkmanitu
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Just a thought...

This may be the reason. Found the following as part of an AD in my E-mail today:

"Hello, We now carry a great selection of Scorpion EXO-100, EXO-200, EXO-700 & EXO-1000 model helmets. They are ranked by JD Power and associates in the top three right behind Arai and Shoei. Also check out the new MIL-SPEC orange reflective riders vest with built in ID Card holder and hydration attachments. If you have any questions at all or are looking for some prices please feel free to give us a shout.Sincerely,Jim Tilson STOKES VICTORY POLARIS 4101 MOBILE HWYPENSACOLA, FL 32505850"

bjt
06-27-2008, 06:20 AM
This may be the reason. Found the following as part of an AD in my E-mail today:

"Hello, We now carry a great selection of Scorpion EXO-100, EXO-200, EXO-700 & EXO-1000 model helmets.

Naming the 'Spyder' the 'Scorpion' would have worked out well in that case. Scorpion is the company that makes the helmets BRP offers in their Spyder accessory catalog. BTW, I like my Scorpion EXO 400, it's a nice helmet. 8)

NancysToy
06-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Naming the 'Spyder' the 'Scorpion' would have worked out well in that case. Scorpion is the company that makes the helmets BRP offers in their Spyder accessory catalog. BTW, I like my Scorpion EXO 400, it's a nice helmet. 8)

My Scorpion EXO 700 is a dandy, too.

BRPjunkie
06-27-2008, 07:52 AM
I realize that BRP wanted to incorporate the "Y" in the name, but I still get strange reactions from people when I tell them it's a Spyder with a Y. Credit to BRP for taking a different approach in the street machine market where traditional manufacturers use names like Fatboy, Wide Glide, Softail, Shadow, Gold Wing, Vulcan, Mean Streak, Raider, Boulevard, Hammer, Vegas, etc. I still think that BRP could have followed the Polaris lead by creating the Victory brand. BRP could have left Can Am as the brand for ATVs and used a complete new branding for what I hope will follow Victory's path of a series of new street machines.