PDA

View Full Version : All jokes aside, is this viable?

OldDog
06-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Insert a flex tube of some sort in the space between the cat converter and the gas tank. Do not allow it to touch. Vent it to an exhaust fan out the back to create negative pressure. Air should enter around the handlebar vent on the ST. Problem solved. Would someone be willing to try this? Maybe you could use a 1 1/4" radiator hose as a test. Does anyone have a photo of this area?

Chupaca
06-28-2013, 05:29 PM
recent thread had two turbo fans installed in the fog light holes venting to the cylinder heads claiming no more heat problems..yesterday or before. Have ordered some and will try it out and let everyone know..!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Dog... (Or is it "Dawg" now? :D)
This just looks like a project that you'll have to tackle on your OWN ST! :2thumbs:
Tell your Best-Half, that the folks on SpyderLovers are counting on you to come through with a workable design to save folks from catching on fire in traffic... :yikes:
That's right..
Counting on you :shocked:

lookerjdc
06-28-2013, 05:54 PM
sounds like a viable solution

let us know how things go and take plenty of pictures

:2thumbs:

OldDog
06-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Given that I am Spyderless, would someone consider looking into this? Some closeups of a naked ST would be good. Perhaps collectively we can solve this.

juliantrost
06-28-2013, 06:40 PM
recent thread had two turbo fans installed in the fog light holes venting to the cylinder heads claiming no more heat problems..yesterday or before. Have ordered some and will try it out and let everyone know..!! :thumbup:

I read that thread and it did look very interesting. Would you mind sharing what fans you ordered and from where? I am thinking of doing the same thing on my RS.

OldDog
06-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Did I miss that one? Can you repost that link?

napper39
06-28-2013, 10:25 PM
this is what i found on ebay under turbo fans,some diferent ones they work of the wind turning them so they wont help when stoped in less you are heded in to the wind.

1VENOM
06-28-2013, 11:31 PM
I tell you that if you install the Titanium Heat wrap with a temperature sustainability of up too 2400 degrees, this will reduce the problems of sitting on a BBQ. I just completed mine and it took 64" 6" of material, which you install dry, and used both stainless steel hose clamps and stainless steel tie wraps to hold in place. Problem solved. It took me about four hours to complete after the Tupperware was removed, and I dropped the "y" pipe to wrap it. I would not say easy pezzy, but what a difference it makes.

Biosafena
06-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Insert a flex tube of some sort in the space between the cat converter and the gas tank. Do not allow it to touch. Vent it to an exhaust fan out the back to create negative pressure. Air should enter around the handlebar vent on the ST. Problem solved. Would someone be willing to try this? Maybe you could use a 1 1/4" radiator hose as a test. Does anyone have a photo of this area?

Is that a cooling fan for a refrigerator in a RV? If it is, that is not going to provide any real cooling on a Spyder. They are used to create only a small updraft to the cooling fins on the back of the refer. They are meant to be very quiet, low power draw and create only a draft. I only ask this because that pic looks exactly like the fans I installed on my refer in my toyhauler.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....

OldDog
06-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Is that a cooling fan for a refrigerator in a RV? If it is, that is not going to provide any real cooling on a Spyder. They are used to create only a small updraft to the cooling fins on the back of the refer. They are meant to be very quiet, low power draw and create only a draft. I only ask this because that pic looks exactly like the fans I installed on my refer in my toyhauler.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....

Nah!. I just used that as an example. I just threw this out as an idea that needs to be looked at to see if its able to be done. Some naked pictures of an ST would be nice, especially the area around the cat converter and the bottom of the fuel tank. I just thought that air flow might be achieved under the skin from the handlebar vent to the back of the spyder by drawing it out with a 12volt exhaust fan located in the space near the rear tire. Without actually seeing if there is room I'm only brainstorming. I want to think there is a small space between where the pipe bend is and the bottom of the fuel tank. By using a flexible high temperature hose such as a radiator hose connected to a mini high speed 12volt fan, you might be able to get reasonable air flow by creating some vacuum under the skin. Again I'm only brainstorming. Would someone with an ST want to take some pictures to see if this is do-able?

Someone was talking about putting fans in the fog light holes. I missed that link. Can someone post it again?

Sny
06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Why not order an ST radiator fan and see where you can squeeze that in? It's powerful and made to survive on a bike... I'd be surprised if most fans would survive on the road for long.

But I'm not really sure how much it'll change things either. If 85mph of wind against the front doesn't move enough air, I don't know how a fan will.

mob133
07-09-2013, 06:48 PM
once again I will say that for what we pay for these and the profit they must make BRP should spend a few $ up front and ceramic coat the pipes and cat at the factory how much can it cost at that point in production THEY SHOULD AT LEAST SHOW AN EFFORT

JacqueTanis
07-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Just wondered if you installed the turbo fans yet? Where did you order them from and what size?
:dg2:

JacqueTanis
07-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Didn't work for us - we even siliconed the wrap and added heat deflection sheets on the panels. Glad it worked for you.

I tell you that if you install the Titanium Heat wrap with a temperature sustainability of up too 2400 degrees, this will reduce the problems of sitting on a BBQ. I just completed mine and it took 64" 6" of material, which you install dry, and used both stainless steel hose clamps and stainless steel tie wraps to hold in place. Problem solved. It took me about four hours to complete after the Tupperware was removed, and I dropped the "y" pipe to wrap it. I would not say easy pezzy, but what a difference it makes.

JacqueTanis
07-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Do you know where I could purchase an ST Radiator Fan?

Why not order an ST radiator fan and see where you can squeeze that in? It's powerful and made to survive on a bike... I'd be surprised if most fans would survive on the road for long.

But I'm not really sure how much it'll change things either. If 85mph of wind against the front doesn't move enough air, I don't know how a fan will.

napper39
07-15-2013, 05:03 PM
it would be cheaper to go on ebay and buy a small car fan and try and fit it in some of those small fans are as small or smaller than the spyder fans and will prouble work better .:thumbup:

CyncySpyder
07-16-2013, 05:24 AM

You can follow this link here:

http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.aspx?s1=bbl4otdcj280oivn7ue15b79n6&catalog_id=0&language_id=1&siteid=1

Fan
$99.99 USD
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/Images/stock_high.gif Available

http://parts.spyder.brp.com/cgi-bin/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E:\\EmpartWeb\\data\\1s\\06\Y1303\10Y 1303.tif&ilSC=15&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

CyncySpyder
07-16-2013, 05:42 AM

You can follow this link here:

http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.aspx?s1=bbl4otdcj280oivn7ue15b79n6&catalog_id=0&language_id=1&siteid=1

Fan

$99.99 USD

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/Images/stock_high.gif Available

http://parts.spyder.brp.com/cgi-bin/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E:\\EmpartWeb\\data\\1s\\06\Y1303\10Y 1303.tif&ilSC=15&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

If your thinking of using the ST Radiator Fan as an auxilary fan to help disipate heat from the exhaust system, I fear it may lead to disaster. The shear size of the fan leads to all kinds of issues with a viable spot to install it, and second, its a plastic/polymer/??? fan made to withstand radiator temps. and while I'm far from being technically inclined in manners such as these, I'd fear the fan melting and possibly causing a fire or worse with the extreme heat it would be subjected to in dealing with the exhaust system. Maybe someone that is familiar with these parts and situations could chime in and offer some better guidance. I'd just hate to see something bad happen from unintended consequences :banghead:

Doug
07-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Finding it difficult to understand why we should have to come up with designs or remedies to problems that shoud be resolved and payed for by the manufacture(BRP). After paying the amount of $$$ for the purchase of a new Spyder, and then having to pay more because there is a defect is "STUPIT". You would never think of having to do something like that with a brand new car, or other product. The only items a consumer should have to pay for are accessories, enhanced performance and the normal routing service :banghead:

Jonnyvermont
07-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Any chance you would be willing to post a step-by-step for us novices? I would love to do this, but I've never tried to take all the Tupperware off Thanks!!

CyncySpyder
07-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Finding it difficult to understand why we should have to come up with designs or remedies to problems that shoud be resolved and payed for by the manufacture(BRP). After paying the amount of $$$ for the purchase of a new Spyder, and then having to pay more because there is a defect is "STUPIT". You would never think of having to do something like that with a brand new car, or other product. The only items a consumer should have to pay for are accessories, enhanced performance and the normal routing service :banghead:

:agree:I totally agree with you :agree:

But, with that said, the heat issue doesn't effect ALL Spyders the same way, & if we all had to park our rydes and wait for BRP to come up with a viable fix, then wait for our dealers to get said fix implemented on all the effected Spyders, well, there'd be allot of folks paying good money for a sweet looking yard/garage ornament while they waited for their time in the shop to get the repair done. So, I think that may be one of the main reasons why many of those that are creative seek ways to correct an issue, to maybe make their rydes more suitable, tho temporary it may be, until BRP can come up with a fix (if they ever can) to the problem. That's just my opinion, and as I 1st stated, we shouldn't have to do anything like this for ourselves, but I know I'd rather try and be ryding than not try and watch my ryde sit and wait...... for who knows how long :dontknow:

ivanlee
07-16-2013, 10:27 AM

This has been a problem for six years, they will not fix it until we stop buying their product,
:banghead:

StanProff
07-16-2013, 10:44 AM
RT and Happy. I have very minimal heat issues on my 2010 RT. I expect some heat because it has to go somewhere, just as my motorcycles do. They produce heat and you feel it when not moving down the highway. From all the complaints it must be an issue with the RS and ST's. I just wonder that at slow speed such as 10 mph or below, could the cooling fan on the radiator be reversed and blow back through the front to at least take the hot air away from the feet? At speed the fan doesn't run anyway. Might be worth a try.

JacqueTanis
08-19-2013, 10:59 PM

What kind of Turbo fans and where to I get them? :dontknow:Also, not a wrench - how do you "vent to the cylinder head?

JacqueTanis
08-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Do you install these in the fog light opening on the ST?
:dontknow:

this is what i found on ebay under turbo fans,some diferent ones they work of the wind turning them so they wont help when stoped in less you are heded in to the wind.

5ft2lilred
08-19-2013, 11:35 PM
RT and Happy. I have very minimal heat issues on my 2010 RT. I expect some heat because it has to go somewhere, just as my motorcycles do. They produce heat and you feel it when not moving down the highway. From all the complaints it must be an issue with the RS and ST's. I just wonder that at slow speed such as 10 mph or below, could the cooling fan on the radiator be reversed and blow back through the front to at least take the hot air away from the feet? At speed the fan doesn't run anyway. Might be worth a try.

I have a 2011 RT LTD and hubby has a 2012. We just made a 9611 mile trip from Oregon to PA, Canada, etc. and the heat at times was unbearable. My right leg actually got burned on the inside from the engine heat. There has to be a fix somewhere. I was wondering if just putting more 'heat wrap sheeting' on the inside of the "Tupperware" would do any thing, but I am just a rider, not an engineer.

Bob Denman
08-20-2013, 07:34 AM
:shocked: What are you wearing for riding gear? :shocked:

cjackg
08-20-2013, 08:09 AM
What kind of Turbo fans and where to I get them? :dontknow:Also, not a wrench - how do you "vent to the cylinder head?

Here's a fan that might do the trick... It is a 12v 3" fan normally used to ventilate the bilge area on a boat and built for rough use.
It pushes air at about 145cfm and draws less than 3 amps. You can buy these at many places less than $20 including Amazon, eBay, West Marine, etc.
I am currently experimenting with one of these on my RT, using a manual switch.

74145 74146

SNOOPY
08-20-2013, 08:10 PM
:shocked: What are you wearing for riding gear? :shocked:

Perhaps they ride naked?

I agree if airflow isn't removing the heat, I don't see a fan doing much...unless there is just a dead spot that the heat is building in?

Wrapping the exhaust properly on a vehicle can do wonders. I even did it on my minibike. LOL

Just time consuming and takes patience.

Bob Denman
08-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Perhaps they ride naked?
;) That's a trait that I can appreciate...
But her avatar shows her in jeans; I find it really tough to imagine that amount of heat that it'd take to burn a leg through even marginal denim... :yikes:

Sny
08-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Here's a fan that might do the trick... It is a 12v 3" fan normally used to ventilate the bilge area on a boat and built for rough use.
It pushes air at about 145cfm and draws less than 3 amps. You can buy these at many places less than $20 including Amazon, eBay, West Marine, etc.

74145 74146
Not sure where you can put this that'll do something...

On a boat bilge, do they blow in or out?

A boat bilge is fairly enclosed... The Spyder is relatively open. Where would you put this?

curious...

Bob Denman
08-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I think that if it's small enough; you could just about find it a home anwhere you could fabricate a mounting bracket, and plumb some air to it. :thumbup:

OldDog
08-21-2013, 02:22 PM

74145 74146

Please let us know how this turns out. Maybe I'm thick headed, but I think this may be part of the solution...
if or when BRP comes up with a permanent solution.

The 2014's may clue us all in on airflow changes through the Tupperware.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
Does your RT have the fog lights or not? Do you use that opening to get under the Tupperware? Where will the entry and exit point be?

cjackg
08-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Not sure where you can put this that'll do something...

On a boat bilge, do they blow in or out?

A boat bilge is fairly enclosed... The Spyder is relatively open. Where would you put this?

curious... Lots of room to mount it when the stock airbox is gone.... It sits just behind the rh Foglight and pulls cooler air from inside the fender to displace hot air around the top of the engine.

Below is a pic of the fan installed on my RT. Understand, I did this solely to relieve the level of heat around the KewlMetal Intake since my oem Airbox was replaced... It may or may not affect any heat levels for the rider. I am using a manual switch which I only turn on when I get trapped in traffic or need to sit idling for a while.
And, yes, it is making a real improvement as measured by a VDO Temp gauge on my dash. This blower fan really pushes some air in a small space...

If anyone wants more details send me a PM.

74269 74270

OldDog
08-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Lots of room to mount it when the stock airbox is gone.... It sits just behind the rh Foglight and pulls cooler air from inside the fender.

Below is a pic of the fan installed on my RT. Understand, I did this solely to relieve the level of heat around the KewlMetal Intake since my oem Airbox was replaced... It may or may not affect any heat levels for the rider. I am using a manual switch which I only turn on when I get trapped in traffic or need to sit idling for a while.
And, yes, it is making a real improvement as measured by a VDO Temp gauge on my dash. This blower fan really pushes some air... If anyone wants more details send me a PM.
74269 74270

This sounds like some really good news!. From other posts I know people have wanted to do this and see what the results are. Keep us posted as you get more time on this mod. Can you record some before and after temp readings? Maybe this will be a catalyst for other people to try it. Hello BRP? Does the hot air exit out the bottom?

cjackg
08-21-2013, 05:08 PM
This sounds like some really good news!. From other posts I know people have wanted to do this and see what the results are. Keep us posted as you get more time on this mod. Can you record some before and after temp readings? Maybe this will be a catalyst for other people to try it. Hello BRP? Does the hot air exit out the bottom? No, the blower is picking up cooler air inside the fender, near the RT scoop, and pushing it upward across the engine.... the heat has to be mostly flowing out the top vents in the tupperwear.

My heat level around the seat/glovebox area dropped significantly when I originally did the KewlMetal Intake conversion. I have not noticed much change while riding using the blower but may get a better test this weekend going to Birmingham.

OldDog
08-21-2013, 05:22 PM
No, the blower is picking up cooler air inside the fender, near the RT scoop, and pushing it upward across the engine.... the heat has to be mostly flowing out the top vents in the tupperwear.

My heat level around the seat/glovebox area dropped significantly when I originally did the KewlMetal Intake conversion. I have not noticed much change while riding using the blower but may get a better test this weekend going to Birmingham.

Is it more a removal of the air box or the air flow provided by the fan? Again, this will be intriguing to follow. Keep us posted.:popcorn:

SNOOPY
08-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Is it more a removal of the air box or the air flow provided by the fan? Again, this will be intriguing to follow. Keep us posted.:popcorn:

That is a good question.

opening up the airflow on an engine can make it run cooler as far as heat soak. IMO

vmaxman
09-27-2013, 11:36 PM

A-Men to that brother. I have been saying this from day one, but I believe you have said it better! When will we wise up and join together on this?

flamingobabe
09-28-2013, 08:35 AM

I agree 100%.....we are not redesigning the ST....that is a job for BRP

Bob Denman
09-28-2013, 11:37 AM
I guess that you could just look upon the exercise as a way to get your bike back on the road and more enjoyable... :thumbup:

Dan McNally
09-28-2013, 12:45 PM
I am waiting for the arrival of the Attwood 3000 fan. It pumps 90 CFM through a 3" duct and I plan to position it wherever I an find room, with a duct running down under the Spyder. Ideally, it will create a vacuum under the tupperware, and suck fresh air from all the places heat is now coming out, under the seat, as well as any other small openings, and vent it out the bottom. I plan to install a switch so I can turn it on when stopped or stuck in stop and go traffic, and turn it off while moving. Hopefully, this should make the ryde more comfortable . . . although, yesterday, on a chilly day, that warm seat actually felt good!

NancysToy
09-28-2013, 04:02 PM
I am waiting for the arrival of the Attwood 3000 fan. It pumps 90 CFM through a 3" duct and I plan to position it wherever I an find room, with a duct running down under the Spyder. Ideally, it will create a vacuum under the tupperware, and suck fresh air from all the places heat is now coming out, under the seat, as well as any other small openings, and vent it out the bottom. I plan to install a switch so I can turn it on when stopped or stuck in stop and go traffic, and turn it off while moving. Hopefully, this should make the ryde more comfortable . . . although, yesterday, on a chilly day, that warm seat actually felt good!
Just remember that heat travels upward. It takes a lot of air to move it in the opposite direction. nojoke

Dan McNally
09-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Just remember that heat travels upward. It takes a lot of air to move it in the opposite direction. nojoke

90 CFM is a fair amount of air . . . and ducting it up would be problematic . . . as that is where I'd be sitting!

NancysToy
09-28-2013, 04:53 PM
90 CFM is a fair amount of air . . . and ducting it up would be problematic . . . as that is where I'd be sitting!

My thought is that the best path would be to take strong measures to block the flow from around the seat and glove box, the push the air upwards to exhaust through the vents in the upper body panel. Those vents are not very effective because the deflectors block the air from moving over them, so there is no venturi effect and they depend solely on convection. Active air movement from a fan or fans would help them perform as intended. JMHO

Very interested in how this works out for you. I proposed the use of bilge fans for this purpose several years ago.

Bob Denman
09-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Is there any way to duct it rearward, and have the movement of air from the rear tire kind of help suck it out of there? :dontknow:

Dan McNally
09-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Once I get the fan and materials, I'll start experimenting . . . I am enthusiastic that this is solvable . . . If this solution works, (and it appears it is working for the poster who is using the fog light openings to bring in air) the next step would be a better fan, designed for constant use, with a temperature controlled switch.

Dan_Ashley
09-28-2013, 06:09 PM
My thoughts too.

Bob Denman
09-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Once I get the fan and materials, I'll start experimenting . . . I am enthusiastic that this is solvable . . . If this solution works, (and it appears it is working for the poster who is using the fog light openings to bring in air) the next step would be a better fan, designed for constant use, with a temperature controlled switch.

Good Luck; please let us know what you end up building! :thumbup:

Benggolf
03-03-2014, 01:23 AM
All great ideas to push out the excessive heat under the tuperware, but perhaps the biggest
improvement is still in the hands of BRP....which is tweaking engine management to reduce the excessive heat being generated by the
engine.

My gut feeling is the engine is tuned too lean and enriching the fuel to air mixture should bring down operating temperatures.

SNOOPY
03-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Just hope that richening it up doesn't kill much of the power.

NancysToy
03-03-2014, 08:02 AM
All great ideas to push out the excessive heat under the tuperware, but perhaps the biggest
improvement is still in the hands of BRP....which is tweaking engine management to reduce the excessive heat being generated by the
engine.

My gut feeling is the engine is tuned too lean and enriching the fuel to air mixture should bring down operating temperatures.It may be possible to slightly reduce the heat that way, but there is no way to reduce the heat produced by the exhaust pipes very much. They are routed through a tight space, far from an air stream, and there is little circulation under the body to dissipate the heat. If that heat is not dealt with a difference in engine temps of a few degrees will make no difference. There has to be a better answer.

Also remember that the EPA has tied BRP's hands as far as engine management goes. They can only wiggle so much before they run afoul of the emissions laws.

JKMSPYDER
03-03-2014, 09:17 AM
I recently installed a 4" diameter radiator fan under my Spyder on the right side. Installed a rocker switch on dash to turn on and off. I have never had an excessive heat problem, but in slow traffic or stopped in the summer I would get very hot. Haven't been able to test in high heat yet, but I do turn it on at stop lights, at low speed, and for 5 minutes or so after I shut down. It really seems to be helping.