PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunting hunter?

jwmcclellan
06-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Not sure I could have held the camera that steady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KdwP2L3f8

OldCowboy
06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I think about the time his head was even with me, I would have shot him.

Chupaca
06-27-2013, 01:14 AM
What deodorant they use..cause that bear did not want them for lunch..!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-27-2013, 06:53 AM
The hunter was actually pretty safe in his perch...
A Black Bear's chief weapon is it's powerful shoulders and sharp claws; both were pretty busy getting him up the tree... He was "out of bullets"
When he realized that he wasn't alone up there; he got himself out of what certainly was a perceived dangerous situation for him.
The look on the Bear's face was just as priceless as the hunter's reaction! :roflblack:

COOL VIDEO!

bruiser
06-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Agree. Now, had the bear made a move to get on the platform...

They looked like two year old cubs.

Bob Denman
06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
nice-sized bear... I'd have guessed about two-hundred pounds...

ARtraveler
06-27-2013, 04:13 PM
That was just a little up to close and personal. Very scarry.

Here, it is recommended to make noise when you come in contact with a bear so that they are aware of your presence. It looked like the bear did not have a clue.

Had the bear been in a attack mode, the outcome may have been different.

I used to run into black bears when doing wilderness canoeing in MN. They were usually scared off by yelling or making other noise such as banging on a pot etc. Never had a close encounter, but 50 feet or so was close enough. Never carried a sidearm when canoeing.

I do carry a sidearm when fishing in remote places here. Yes, big enough caliber to drop a grizzly. You just never know. Most bears you encounter here are looking for lunch, and you will do nicely, thank you. :roflblack:

Thank you for sharing the video. :thumbup:

mowin
06-27-2013, 04:45 PM
I've had bear start to climb my tree, but thankfully they always changed their mind. Back in the '80's, I was spring turkey hunting in the Catskills with some friends from Maine. I was doing the calling, and also filming the guys hunt. I had 2 turkeys coming in, when I heard a branch snap behind me. My first thought was a tom came in silent, my second thought was a turkey couldn't snap a branch that size, and maybe a hunter was sneaking up on us. Out of the corner of my eye I see a bear not more than 10 feet from me. Let me tell you...its dam tuff to find a 250lb bear 10 feet from you while looking thru a viewfinder when your heart is about to explode...I got some interesting footage of sky, ground, trees as I struggled to find the bear in the camera. I finally found him and filmed him for the next half hr. Never did get the turkeys...

HuckFin
06-27-2013, 05:02 PM
That was just a little up to close and personal. Very scarry.

Here, it is recommended to make noise when you come in contact with a bear so that they are aware of your presence. It looked like the bear did not have a clue.

Had the bear been in a attack mode, the outcome may have been different.

I used to run into black bears when doing wilderness canoeing in MN. They were usually scared off by yelling or making other noise such as banging on a pot etc. Never had a close encounter, but 50 feet or so was close enough. Never carried a sidearm when canoeing.

I do carry a sidearm when fishing in remote places here. Yes, big enough caliber to drop a grizzly. You just never know. Most bears you encounter here are looking for lunch, and you will do nicely, thank you. :roflblack:

Thank you for sharing the video. :thumbup:

Your right. They are usually scared off by noise but not always. Late last fall a big bear was raiding my garbage can, by the time I got outside he was wandering off, so I yelled to get the H out of here and he just turned around and stared at me, I fired two shots with my 41 mag above his head....Still stood there awhile unfazed then wandered off and was back again an hour later.

Bob Denman
06-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Put a round in the dirt right in front of them. It'll spray them with high-velocity dirt! :shocked:
That'll confuse and discourage them; but don't pooch the shot and take a toe off of the critter! :yikes:

HuckFin
06-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Bob you must have read my mind, that's what I told my wife when I came back inside, that I was going to shoot the dirt in front of him when he came back... Never did see that particular bear again though.

SteveMac
06-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Holy cow. That bear can climb fast. Poof! And he was there!

bruiser
06-27-2013, 07:40 PM
They are fast climbers.

Use to see them in the Sacramento Mountains in NM. We were hiking in to our camp site one afternoon and our point man encountered one as he and the bear were both rounding the same bend. He passed us as he was running the other way leaving a brown streak behind. He did say bear as he passed us. We went ahead and saw the tracks but never saw the bear. Reckon they both scared each other.

We would sometimes wake up in the morning and see bear tracks through the camp. Mind you, we didn't use tents much.

Bob Denman
06-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Holy cow. That bear can climb fast. Poof! And he was there!
They're built for climbing and digging...