PDA

View Full Version : FLAGS

sealfloorboards
06-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Is there a standard size Flag and pole used on Patriot Guard Rides?

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

SpyderAnn01
06-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Not in my experience. They have standard flags for standing on the flag line but on your bike is a personal matter, of course you still need to be mindful of proper flag etiquette by not using one that will hit the ground, etc. I have the ISCI flag mounts and use the flags they supply which are about 6" x 10"

Ga Blue Knight
06-26-2013, 01:18 AM
I use the Rivco RT trunk mount with 6x9 inch size flags. Pretty much other than a special mounted pole with a larger flag the 6x9 inch size flags seem to be the common size for most bike applications.

spydercowboy
06-26-2013, 05:21 AM
The only so called standard sized flag is the 3' X 5' used on what they call "big flag" bikes and for standing in line. I went with the largest I could find in a small flag at 11" X 15". But there are not as many flag designs in that size but enough that I got the two that I wanted. US and Texas.:thumbup:

GloryRyders
06-26-2013, 05:41 AM
:agree: with all of the above. In our area, if they run large flags on their bikes, they are usually 3' x 5' but they really have to support them well (steel poles or the like) so they can stand the higher speeds if we have to go on at highway speeds. I just have 6"x9" on flag poles that mount behind my license plate frame.

Oldmanzues
06-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Most areas are glad to have you, Flag or not. The big HD and Gold Wngs have mounts available to fly the 3 x 5. My ST1100had 9 x 14 flags because of mounting prblems. I use a ICSC tall flag mopunt with two poles. I fly the American flag all the time and the other suits my mood/mission. USAF, MIA. For missions, I have a big Flag mopunt attached to the trailer hitch using a Rivco (not recomended by RIVCO) upright. RIVCO did/does not recomend it because of the no spring nature of the Spyder. I also cut a nylon washer to fill the hole between the bolt size and hole size in the hitch. Then I made a rubber shock mount, (size of pole base) above and below the hitch from a truck flap. Works for me at any speed so far, including interstates.
Many more ideas on here.
Thank you for your interest in the PGR. Thanks to all the others who are present at the events,
Oldmanzues

captblack
06-26-2013, 06:42 AM
3 x 5 is the standard for flag bikes with a stout wooden or metal pole. Be sure to secure the pole in the mount so it does not pull out. Keep safety in mind and remember the flag will cover your brake and signal lights.

Currently, I use the new Rivco RT trunk mount with 11 x 15 flags.

bruiser
06-26-2013, 09:49 AM
If you're looking for a good selection of quality American made flags check out www.SSPFlags.com

tofriendscreek
06-26-2013, 03:00 PM
they fly all sizes and some have none. It's all about honor and respect.
I designed my mount to fly up to three 2x3 sized flags. I always go with USA & PGR flags, with a third variety from time to time.

shrubs
06-26-2013, 05:24 PM
6" x 9" are always on the bike. One US Flag and one depending on my mood (Support the Troops, USAF, POW/MIA, Honor and Remember).

For PGR missions, I fly two 3'x5' flags. One US Flag and one either Service flag (USAF, Army, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard), POW/MIA, or the Ohio PGR Flag. I buy most flags from Eagle Mountain in Texas as I know they are made in the USA.

One thing to repeat is that you don't need to fly a flag for the mission. The most important part is you being there to support the families.

If you're looking for a good selection of quality American made flags check out www.SSPFlags.com (http://www.SSPFlags.com)

This is where I bought my 6"x9" USAF flag. They were the only place I could find one with the new AF Symbol (http://store.sspflags.com/licensed-air-force-6-in-x-9-in-small-flag/)

Boriken
06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
On the spyder I display the 6"x9" flags and on the flag line a 3'x5' on a collapsible pole that can b e stored and carried in the frunk.

quickster47
06-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Here is another good source for flags and where I get mine.

http://www.thepropad.com/motorcycle-flags/

Carl

shrubs
06-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Here's a picture of my flags from today's PGR mission. My wife took the action shot.