PDA

View Full Version : HowTo: My first little tip! Shut off the radio when engine not running!

finless
06-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Hi folks.... this is my first little tip.

Some of you may know that when turning off your Spyder, if you hold the mode button, you can keep the radio playing even with the key out!

But after you do this, how do you turn the radio off? Until I found this trick I was turning my spyder back on, waiting for it to boot back up, and turning it off again.....

Well... I found this by accident adding farkle and thought I would share this with you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ63VYXXZ8M

Enjoy,
Bob

WV Spyder Ryder
06-25-2013, 06:10 AM
That's cool.:thumbup:

rayeade
06-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Good info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cbell1
06-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Thanks, nice to know.

EnjoyingTheRyde
06-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the info, I seem to be learning something about my Spyder every day!

shrubs
06-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Great two tips on this as I didn't know about leaving the radio on with no key.

shelbydave
06-25-2013, 08:06 AM
The other way is to just leave it running... It will go off eventually! :joke::roflblack::roflblack:

finless
06-25-2013, 10:32 AM
The other way is to just leave it running... It will go off eventually! :joke::roflblack::roflblack:

I must have a good battery. I had music playing for about 5 hours while detailing my RT. It was playing and power my iPod too. She started right up after about 5 hours no problem.

So at least for me, it would eventually shut off after a LONG time :p

Bob

Jeriatric
06-25-2013, 10:48 AM
I must have a good battery. I had music playing for about 5 hours while detailing my RT. It was playing and power my iPod too. She started right up after about 5 hours no problem.

So at least for me, it would eventually shut off after a LONG time :p

Bob

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun :thumbup: ;)

finless
06-25-2013, 11:14 AM
I am!

Today I am hoping to finish my own top of the trunk break light mod. Cost? $20 and a little work :)

Bob

MidLifeCrisis
06-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Got to love a geek with purpose. Techno geek that is :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jerpinoy
06-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks a lot for the radio info. Now let us know how to open the frunk with out turning the key whenever you stumble on it? Thanks in advance.:yes::yes:

ARtraveler
06-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Good Tip. I would never have figured that one out. :2thumbs:

billybovine
06-25-2013, 01:15 PM
The 2013 ST owners manual says to hold the "Mode" button for 10 seconds to turn the radio off and it works I have done it. Your discovery of using the hazard flashers sounds a lot faster.

finless
06-25-2013, 01:28 PM
The 2013 ST owners manual says to hold the "Mode" button for 10 seconds to turn the radio off and it works I have done it. Your discovery of using the hazard flashers sounds a lot faster.

My 2011 manual does not say that. And trust me I tried that and it did not work. I thought if holding mode leaves it on then holding mode would turn it off. But it did not for me. I bet they added that on the 2013 or maybe 2012 models.

Bob

Blue Star
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Some of you may know that when turning off your Spyder, if you hold the mode button, you can keep the radio playing even with the key out!

But after you do this, how do you turn the radio off? Until I found this trick I was turning my spyder back on, waiting for it to boot back up, and turning it off again.....

Well... I found this by accident adding farkle and thought I would share this with you all.

Enjoy,
Bob

Thank you for the reminder, as I forgot how to keep the radio playing without the key.

Thanks a lot for the radio info. Now let us know how to open the frunk with out turning the key whenever you stumble on it? Thanks in advance.:yes::yes:

If you have the motor on you can hit the open switch (on RTS) on the far left. Same switch for the e-brake on the SE5 models. Also on the 2012 you can open the frunk, and seat with the motor still on.

finless
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM

I saw a post somewhere that a guy rigged a pull cable that is hidden up in the Tupperware somewhere. It was about locking your key in the frunk and having an emergency release. If I find the post I will let you know. In fact I will probably do that mod too. I would hate to be stranded like that. Also if the key cable or switch motor (solenoid?) from the switch ever failed, this is a good idea too.

Bob

billybovine
06-25-2013, 02:02 PM
My 2011 manual does not say that. And trust me I tried that and it did not work. I thought if holding mode leaves it on then holding mode would turn it off. But it did not for me. I bet they added that on the 2013 or maybe 2012 models.

Bob

There may differences for different model years. To turn the radio on 2013 the manual says to press and hold the mode button after turning off the key not during. I just tried your discovery with the hazard flashers and it works on my 2013 but there is 5 second delay.

PrairieSpyder
06-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Good tip. Thanks.

I wonder if the radio will time-out after a while, like on a car it will play for 10 minutes after turning the car off.

billybovine
06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Good tip. Thanks.

I wonder if the radio will time-out after a while, like on a car it will play for 10 minutes after turning the car off.

There does not seem to be unless it's a real loooooooooong time.

Wiredux
06-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the tip. That is good info.

finless
06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
There may differences for different model years. To turn the radio on 2013 the manual says to press and hold the mode button after turning off the key not during. I just tried your discovery with the hazard flashers and it works on my 2013 but there is 5 second delay.

I just checked and I can turn off the key and then hold mode. So it works both ways. Seems better to turn off the key then while it is on the black screen that says Can-Am Sypder, press and hold mode until the radio comes on. Thanks!

But trying to turn it off holding mode does not work for me. I held it for at least 30 seconds.

I will say this though. Mine is a 2011 and has not been in the dealer since Jan 2012. I am taking it in for it's 600 mile service. My bet is I do not have the latest software on it? I hear on posts here there have been a couple updates?

Bob

billybovine
06-25-2013, 04:05 PM
I just checked and I can turn off the key and then hold mode. So it works both ways. Seems better to turn off the key then while it is on the black screen that says Can-Am Sypder, press and hold mode until the radio comes on. Thanks!

But trying to turn it off holding mode does not work for me. I held it for at least 30 seconds.

I will say this though. Mine is a 2011 and has not been in the dealer since Jan 2012. I am taking it in for it's 600 mile service. My bet is I do not have the latest software on it? I hear on posts here there have been a couple updates?

Bob

Good point, could firmware level deference not hardware model year difference.

GRIPMAN
06-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Enjoy,
Bob
Your first tip is greatly appreciated, please post any other discoveries.

stallion143
06-25-2013, 04:38 PM
:2thumbs: GREAT "little"tip....It works on my 2012 RT also!!:bowdown:

DR Buck
06-25-2013, 04:38 PM

Bob

This is in the owners manual. Works fine on my 2012 RT Limited and I get no 'limp' messages.

RTVIPER
06-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Enjoy,
Bob

I was doing the same as you, turning my :spyder2: back on, waiting for it to boot back up, and turning it off again. Thanks for the accidental find. :yes::yes::yes:

harrypottar
06-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks great tip, didn't even know you could listen to the radio with it off. My old Goldwing had an auxiliary option on the key, but thought that was missing on the spyder.

whats that funny looking silver thing coming from you left handle bar :roflblack:

harry

carajony
06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanx. Didn't even know I could leave music on. Learn something everyday on spyderlovers.

Max232
07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the tip, the video took me back to when I watched your how-to vids on helicopter setups:thumbup:

Roscojim
05-16-2020, 12:32 PM
Holding the Mode button turns off the radio on my 2012 RT-L.

Jim

Bob

Nuttymopar
10-01-2020, 02:50 PM
It doesn't work on my 2018 RTL. I've tried it a few different ways. Turning key off and then holding mode button for 4, 5, 10 seconds. No go with the radio. I've tried holding mode button while turning off the spyder, no go. I've tried just about everything and it would be nice to be listening to the radio while working on it or out in the carport, but oh well. I'm sure as it is a 2018 model.