PDA

View Full Version : Handle Bar Lock Mode

araignee88
06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Guys-- I can't get my handle bar lock to work. I've inserted key,turned the wheels both all the way to the right and/or left, and moved the key 1/4 turn to the lock image--No locking action. I'd really like to be able to lock my handle bars.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

BRPjunkie
06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
I haven't been able to get mine to lock either. I have it on my list for the 600 mile dealer visit, but any ideas before then would be appreciated. I never locked the forks on any of my motorcycles, but it should work.

bjt
06-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't have an answer. I do have a question for you though. Can you turn your key to the locking position no matter what the orientation of the handlebars are? My key will only go to locking position if the handlebars are at full left or full right turn. It sounds like your locking pin either isn't working or the metal piece that the pin locks against is not there. I took some pictures up under the bars that shows the locking pin both extended and retracted.

This is the locking pin extended (red arrow) with the handlebars at full left turn.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder%20keylock/DSC00002-1.jpg

Here is the pin extended with the handlebars at full right turn.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder%20keylock/DSC00010.jpg

Here is the pin retracted with the handlebars at full right turn.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder%20keylock/DSC00011.jpg

View from the front of the bars - pin retracted.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder%20keylock/DSC00015.jpg

View from the front of the bars - pin extended.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/briantangen/Spyder%20keylock/DSC00014-1.jpg

The reason why the pin won't extend except for full right or full left handlebar turn is that the pin hits the metal piece that locks the handlebars (denoted by red arrow). It looks like there is a hole to the right that the pin would go into when the bars are straight but it doesn't. They are too far out of alignment.

joelin
06-13-2008, 11:37 AM
turn your wheel to the right or left .then turn your key to the lock point .make sure don't push down your key .if you push down your key will not turn to the lock point , it will open your trunk .

BRPjunkie
06-13-2008, 12:56 PM
So simple, even a child could do it. So used to push and turn to unlock that I pushed and turned to lock. Just a simple turn to the left and it works quite well. Thanks for reading the instructions to us where it clearly states; "Turn the key 1/4 turn to the left". No "push" in the instructions. When all else fails, read the book.

araignee88
06-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Actually, even my inner child , when activated can't do it--and I did read the book (I am a chick, we do that) , never did push down--and even asked the husband.
No can do. I think it is the alignment of the pin with the lock mechanism. Will have it checked during 1st service.

The photos are wonderful! Thank you bjt

BRPjunkie
06-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Did not mean to imply that everyone with this problem couldn't read the book. Sorry that yours is a real issue compared to my imaginary one. Pictures do help understand the mechanism and possibility of misalignment.

NancysToy
06-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Before you give up, try wiggling the bars back and forth a bit while turning the key. The locking position is very small, and sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling to hit it.
-Scotty

jeuchler
06-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Before you give up, try wiggling the bars back and forth a bit while turning the key. The locking position is very small, and sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling to hit it.
-Scotty

Just to add my 1cent (not even worth 2cents) to what Brian showed and Scotty said, on my Spyder it R E A L L Y has to be a l l the way to the left or right to lock.

Standing, I actually lean my leg against the handlebars when I turn the key to lock; same for unlock.

Good luck!

tatt2r
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
i didnt even know the handle bars locked .... crap .... i'm going to try it ...

csmead
06-19-2008, 07:21 PM
...and sometimes the angle is not "right" (ground-wise) and I have to lean on the handle bars to unlock....Just a warning... :redfaced:

Dyno824
06-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Heres a good one for you.I locked my bars and couldnt get them unlocked,finally unlocked i was sweating it though.Glad there was nobody around when this happened,could have kinda you know been embarrassing..Maybe ill later try to master the procedure or see what the problem is.Thanks for the pics of the mechanism.

Napalmseth
06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
heh... First time I locked my handlebars, I went outside the next morning and couldn't unlock them. I got so nervous, I panicked and called my salesman at 7:30 in the morning. When he told me to just lean on them a little I felt a little bit like an :edit:... Yeah, I learned the hard way that you have to lean on them to lock and unlock the bars.

bjt
06-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I learned the hard way that you have to lean on them to lock and unlock the bars.

Some people might have to lean on the bars but I don't. They work nice and easy, one hand operation.

NancysToy
06-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Some people might have to lean on the bars but I don't. They work nice and easy, one hand operation.

Ours usualy work easily, too, but I have noticed sometimes it will ether lock with difficulty, or unlock only with pressure on the bars or wiggling. Seems to be related to the terrain and slope where it is parked.
-Scotty

patches
06-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Wow, I always wondered what that was for and never had time to read up on it in the book. I have to turn mine all the way to the left or right and at the same time, turn the key to the locking posistion.
Just a question, it may seem silly but is this really only used if you are parking on a hill and want your tires to turn in to the curb? What would be the other purposes.

Napalmseth
06-21-2008, 08:10 AM
my guess is the same reason I do it on my car. Harder to steal if you cant steer it.

dltang
06-21-2008, 08:33 AM
my guess is the same reason I do it on my car. Harder to steal if you cant steer it.

That is why I do it, harder to steal. You can't just pull in the clutch and roll it away.

Trypod
06-22-2008, 01:42 PM

the :spyder: could still be picked up by 2 or 3 people but is very cumbersome so move (yes, i got a couple people to help me try this). i always try to park next to a curb on either side or between other cars or bikes but out far enough to be visible then lock the :spyder: in the direction of the curb or toward the car or bike less likely to move before i want to leave. it's like using a "shield" provided by someone else's ride, but hey, it protects the :spyder: !!!

BRPjunkie
06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
If you don't lock it, especially in areas that you may not be familiar with, do not underestimate the cunning of thieves who could roll the thing on a flatbed utility trailer in just a few minutes. Three guys could do it. If locked, all they can do is push it in circles which may be enough to thwart them.

bjt
06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
If they want it bad enough, there is hardly anything you can do to stop them. However, many times thieves try to grab something that is easy to get. So anything I can do to make it more difficult for someone to take my stuff, I'll do it.