PDA

View Full Version : Sky wire live across Grand Canyon

SteveMac
06-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Live on Discovery channel now.

I have a hand towel ready to mop up my sweaty palms.

Crazy. :yikes:

SteveMac
06-23-2013, 07:05 PM
2" wide cable. 1400' walk. 1500 feet high with no safety tether. OMG

mcaccamise
06-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Yes it was amazing to see he surly has his act together the next sky walk he is talking about is across the Empire St bldg.

Bob Denman
06-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Why did they have to schedule this event so that I had to miss the last 10 minutes of "Red"? :gaah:
I wonder how many people watched just to see if he was goling to fall? :shocked:

SteveMac
06-24-2013, 07:07 AM
I don't know Bob. I'm sure quite a few were watching for that. Kinda like some watch NASCAR for the accidents.

But for those, like me, with Acrophobia, it was some scary shtuff.

bullant12
06-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Why did they have to schedule this event so that I had to miss the last 10 minutes of "Red"? :gaah:
I wonder how many people watched just to see if he was goling to fall? :shocked:

It's called DVR Bob... you should get one and your days of missing one show because of time conflicts will be in the past!nojoke

Or is it on the wife's "not budget approved" list?:roflblack:

And as far as this event goes... I rather hear the outcome on the news!:popcorn:

Bob Denman
06-24-2013, 07:23 AM
:sour: That would fall under the category of "Non-Sanctioned" purchases... :shocked:
I was interested in the broadcast only to see how he handled the pressure of that walk... Very Interesting...
And I bet that Firefly either turned it off or muted the sound! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
06-24-2013, 01:57 PM
When the nightly news made mention of it, I turned it on and saw about 3/4 th's of the walk. For me, very scarry because I get creeped out by heights like that.

I was pre-primed the night before when Discovery Channel ran a program about the pre-events of the canyon walk.

I would not have paid to go see it, but the TV part was good.

For those who are pickey, pickey--the event did not take place in the "official" Grand Canyon National Park--the officials would not permit it. The event took place on Native owned lands adjacent to it. Regardless--the event generated lots of edge of the seat excitement.

SteveMac
06-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Yep AK. I saw the reports today clarifying the Grand Canyon vs the Little Colorado Gorge or whatever the correct term is. So I guess technically it wasn't part of the Grand Canyon National Park system. But about close enough to spit on. I think the GCNP wanted to make sure to distance themselves from the potential of future requests.

Like you, I see the technical difference,,, but it was still the 1500 feet of open air below him that freaked me out! ;)

Bob Denman
06-24-2013, 06:03 PM
:agree: A quarter-mile or so, versus the whole boatoad of Canyon depth; does it really matter?
The guy's sure got some stones! :2thumbs: