PDA

View Full Version : Bad Vibrations, certain speeds only.

dadunston
06-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Hello community!

I've been noticing something strange on my 2013 STS purchased in April 2013 which now has 2800 miles on it.

When my speed fluctuates between 58-62 MPH and around 69-72 MPH, there is an extreme amount of vibration that takes place.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I noticed it after my 600 mile maintenance and thought it was just me. Put my wife on the back for a few miles and she was very uncomfortable do to the vibrations at those speeds.

I'm coming to the forums for any ideas before I take it to the "stealership".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

capt.jim
06-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Sounds like possible belt vibration, have the dealer check your belt tension. A little bit of belt vibration is normal, yours sounds excessive whatever it is.

sledhead
06-22-2013, 08:57 PM
I've owned 3 Spyders and they all did it. I agree that it is belt vibration.

Tierhog
06-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Minor vibration at 58-65mph here too. (2008) early model GS/SM5. You feel it in the pegs. Very minor, but noticeable.

Sny
06-23-2013, 11:51 AM
On my GS I noticed harmonic vibrations from the belt at certain speeds but it never bothered me... the GS vibrated all over the place anyhow.

The ST vibrates much less in the handle bars and seat... so when you hit those magic speeds where the belt starts it's nasty vibration, you notice it a lot more. But never so much that would make a passenger complain, that sounds severe.

Talk to yer dealer and ask them if your belt tension is ok. Should only take them a few minutes to check.

Biosafena
06-23-2013, 01:14 PM
My RT vibrates terribly at certain speeds/RPM's. One dealer said it is the nature of beast while two others said something isn't right. They have checked the belt tension, motor mounts, etc, but can't readily identify a problem. They said to leave it and we will tear into the clutch and transmission as long as BRP will authorize it. I asked how long I would have to leave it and the answer was "Don't know" , "could be weeks". Has anyone else identified a problematic part that cold cause such a vibration?? I am going to try and install a small video camera in the area of the drive pulley and belt to record what is actually going on down there while running at speed. Has to be something visible with as much vibration as I am getting. With our limited riding season, can't afford to be down for weeks. Can a particular drive be more prone to chatter/vibration than another? Was wondering what trying a new belt would do. I only have 4000 miles on my 2012 and is have vibrated terribly since new.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....

Biosafena
06-23-2013, 01:15 PM
And I have installed he SmoothSpyder idler, but this did not help the problem.

Sny
06-23-2013, 02:41 PM
A damaged belt could vibrate too... or it would be bearings *cringe*

It's definitely something not normal and unfortunately it won't be quick for a dealer to diagnose or repair. They might be able to diagnose it, order parts and give it back while waiting on parts so you won't lose all the time.

Biosafena
06-23-2013, 03:51 PM
The camera is almost ready to install. I guess we can say, "Roll that beautiful belt footage". Can't wait to see what it looks like and also to see the look on the dealer's face when I show him.