PDA

View Full Version : I Remembered!

NancysToy
06-21-2013, 04:01 PM
My RT is in the shop awaiting a new DPS and another throttle body. Today I rode one of my bikes, for the first timer on two wheels in nearly a year.

I remembered...

1. How to start it (no MODE button but a manual choke and a fuel shutoff)
2. Where the turn signal switch was
3. To cancel the turn signals
4. How to turn
5. To put my foot down when I stopped
6. The front brake lever
7. What it feels like to sit on a log

Our Spyders have spoiled us, no doubt. I was pretty uncomfortable for a while...and I don't mean about the seat. Still, it was nice to lean into the turns again. I'll have to be less neglectful of the rest of the fleet once I get the Spyder back home.

PrairieSpyder
06-21-2013, 04:04 PM
It's a good thing you remembered to put your foot down when you stopped. ;)

Of course, if you had not, would you have posted?:dontknow:

bruiser
06-21-2013, 04:11 PM
It's good to stay in practice.

Some Guy
06-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I would probably forget to put my feet down!

finless
06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
What is the deal with all these throttle body replacements?
Do I need to worry about that on my 2011 RT-S?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Denman
06-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Soooo.... which one did you take out for a spin??? :dontknow: ;)

StanProff
06-21-2013, 04:46 PM

Thanks,
Bob

Me too:dontknow: we read now and again about more than one being replaced on the same machine. My 2010 has never thrown a throttle body code.
going on 18,000 miles. I would like to know how many have been replaced across the board on all the model years. Hmmmmm.?

NancysToy
06-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Soooo.... which one did you take out for a spin??? :dontknow: ;)

I took the Toaster (1972 Slash 5 BMW).

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14706&d=1234374293

asp125
06-21-2013, 04:56 PM
You can't forget. It's so easy it's just like riding a .... uhhhh... bike. :roflblack:

EnjoyingTheRyde
06-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Since I havn't had my ST all that long, I'm still looking for the front brake so that wouldn't have been an issue for me... But I have gotten used to not putting my foot down!

NancysToy
06-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks,
Bob

Me too:dontknow: we read now and again about more than one being replaced on the same machine. My 2010 has never thrown a throttle body code.
going on 18,000 miles. I would like to know how many have been replaced across the board on all the model years. Hmmmmm.?

The throttle body problems affected mostly 2011 RTs, although a few 2010s had a different TB issue. If you have a 2011, and you got the latest update (about a year ago) that corrected the cause of the TB issues, you probably need not worry. My 2011 got a new throttle body and the update at that time, but did not get the latest update until recently. I think that may have allowed it to fail. I should have gone in sooner.

BTW, when the TB fails on a 2011, you usually can reboot and continue to ride. I rode 600 miles home two years ago after it started to act up, only having to reboot a couple of times. I rode it to the dealer for service. This time I rode home about 350 miles after it cropped up. Rode to the dealer again, but it acted up as I was leaving their parking lot, so I decided to leave it there instead of bringing it in next week to put on BUDS. Very few owners have been stranded by this issue.

Bob Denman
06-21-2013, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=NancysToy;644176]I took the Toaster (1972 Slash 5 BMW)./QUOTE]
:2thumbs:SWEET!:2thumbs:

Bob Ledford
06-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Scotty I had to drive my Silverado today for the first time in a month and actually caught myself leaning into the turns when I first started out the driveway:duh:

ARtraveler
06-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the info and update. I like that BMW. :thumbup:

StanProff
06-21-2013, 05:45 PM
The throttle body problems affected mostly 2011 RTs, although a few 2010s had a different TB issue. If you have a 2011, and you got the latest update (about a year ago) that corrected the cause of the TB issues, you probably need not worry. My 2011 got a new throttle body and the update at that time, but did not get the latest update until recently. I think that may have allowed it to fail. I should have gone in sooner.

BTW, when the TB fails on a 2011, you usually can reboot and continue to ride. I rode 600 miles home two years ago after it started to act up, only having to reboot a couple of times. I rode it to the dealer for service. This time I rode home about 350 miles after it cropped up. Rode to the dealer again, but it acted up as I was leaving their parking lot, so I decided to leave it there instead of bringing it in next week to put on BUDS. Very few owners have been stranded by this issue.

Thanks Scotty, My 2010 has been perfect and I guess seeing talk, of the throttle bodies, it is easy to get a little paranoid about when it will fail and not if it will. My dealer told me the same that the 2011's were affected and he has had very little issues with the '10s.

ARtraveler
06-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks Scotty, My 2010 has been perfect and I guess seeing talk, of the throttle bodies, it is easy to get a little paranoid about when it will fail and not if it will. My dealer told me the same that the 2011's were affected and he has had very little issues with the '10s.

Amen. I am in the same position with both a 2010 (32,000 miles) and a 2011 (7,200 miles).

NancysToy
06-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Scotty I had to drive my Silverado today for the first time in a month and actually caught myself leaning into the turns when I first started out the driveway:duh:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

:clap::clap::clap:

Chupaca
06-21-2013, 06:22 PM
good thing you remembered all those things..forget any one of them could have been dangerous, painful, depressing but most definitely embarrassing..!! :roflblack::roflblack: ....enjoy :ohyea:

ulflyer
06-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Have had two on my '11 RT, last one just before the final computer update last spring?.....no issues since. A friend also had one on her '12 Rt shortly after getting it early last year. Again, no issues since. I would think that if you've had those updates, its unlikely you'll ever have a TB problem.

Scotty: I had a '75/5 with 7 gal tank. So easy to adjust points and valves. One of the best bikes I've ever owned.

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 09:17 AM
In the year that I've owned it; I've only managed to put 4000 miles on my truck.
I got in it today, and found myself trying to put MY position in the center of the lane; much as I would on the RT... :shocked:
Under normal driving, I would be sitting about over the left tire track! :gaah:
Too bad that today's errands require such a big cage...

MMcc
06-22-2013, 09:56 AM
On Thursday I headed to a MC dealer that handles Honda, Yamaha, BMW, and many other brands. Since I had sold the last of my two wheel about a year ago I wanted to try out the new models to see if I was missing anything by ryding the spyder. Guess what, after 4 or 5 demo rides I thanked the sales person and said I just could not find anything that tweaked my interest. No problems starting, turning was fun with the lean and splitting lanes again was nice. I had almost forgotten how to use a front brake lever. Since my RT is an SE5 I thought I might not like the shifting again but that was fine. Getting back on the spyder for the ryde home I was thinking to myself. "if I ever once thought that I made a mistake buying the spyder" this afternoons test rides convinced me that I did not. Two wheels have been in my blood since I started legally riding 53 years ago. Now I cannot see myself going back to two wheels. I just can't see myself traveling 300 or 400 miles a day on two wheels. The spyder allows me lots of comfort and piece of mind. No surprises on the road cause by uneven pavement, potholes, gravel on corners. BTW. the test rides were cut short by rain, not much but the dealer was uncomfortable with anyone taking another bike out since is was drizzling. I opened the rear trunk, put on my rain gear and left the parking lot. Many who were there to also test drive just stood in the tents and watched me ryde happily away. Maybe I made a some converts to 3 that day.

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 10:33 AM
:2thumbs:

NancysToy
06-22-2013, 10:40 AM
On Thursday I headed to a MC dealer that handles Honda, Yamaha, BMW, and many other brands. Since I had sold the last of my two wheel about a year ago I wanted to try out the new models to see if I was missing anything by ryding the spyder. Guess what, after 4 or 5 demo rides I thanked the sales person and said I just could not find anything that tweaked my interest. No problems starting, turning was fun with the lean and splitting lanes again was nice. I had almost forgotten how to use a front brake lever. Since my RT is an SE5 I thought I might not like the shifting again but that was fine. Getting back on the spyder for the ryde home I was thinking to myself. "if I ever once thought that I made a mistake buying the spyder" this afternoons test rides convinced me that I did not. Two wheels have been in my blood since I started legally riding 53 years ago. Now I cannot see myself going back to two wheels. I just can't see myself traveling 300 or 400 miles a day on two wheels. The spyder allows me lots of comfort and piece of mind. No surprises on the road cause by uneven pavement, potholes, gravel on corners. BTW. the test rides were cut short by rain, not much but the dealer was uncomfortable with anyone taking another bike out since is was drizzling. I opened the rear trunk, put on my rain gear and left the parking lot. Many who were there to also test drive just stood in the tents and watched me ryde happily away. Maybe I made a some converts to 3 that day.
Very well said! It sums up a lot of my feelings. Although I have not completely gotten two wheels out of my system, any thoughs of touring on one or using them as my favorite means of transportation have been vanquished by the Spyder. The comfort, the piece of mind, the ease with which they handle bad waether, passengers, or a trailer, all make the Spyder the one I grab when I open the garage door.

MouthPiece
06-22-2013, 10:50 AM
This thread is a true testimonial to the spyder. Thanks, Scotty, for posting. (A) it comes from a very reliable and trusted source. (B) it provided info for some of us who may become alarmed when they see a post like this only to have this alarm assuaged by a good explanation, and (C) it hit home for very many of us.

Chris

Yfactor
06-22-2013, 11:26 AM
I still find myself longing for two wheels at times but get in the seat of the RT and it goes away fast.

NancysToy
06-23-2013, 05:28 PM
I think I'm getting the hang of this two-wheeled thing again. ;) Today I rode my former California Highway Patrol BMW R1100RT. The freeway flyer felt pretty good! It sure can eat up the highway. I even ran her up to three digits for a short while, just to let her stretch her legs.

I noticed...

1. Louder than my Spyder, in terms of wind noise
2. Smoother than my Spyder
3. Kicks my butt a bit more on the bumps
4. Turn signals on their respective grips are a pain...and I sure miss automatic cancelling
5. The bike was a lot less work while carving the corners
6. I don't have to wait for it to boot up...but I do have to wait for it to warm up before I can turn off the enrichment and throttle down to ride
7. I worry more at slow speeds
8. Lots more air...great in this warm weather, but not nearly as nice if it is cold or wet

I was pretty sure that I was going to sell the Beemer oilhead, but now I am not so sure. It is a joy to use on the highway. It almost brought as many smiles per mile as the Spyder. Now I remember why I fell in love in the first place.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14708&d=1234374293

SteveMac
06-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Love it! Keep posting about your various rides. Some of us (OK, me) can live vicariously through you!

NancysToy
07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
I got my RT back from the shop today. New throttle body, new DPS, and they also replaced the steering position sensor and encoder magnet. I must say thet I had not realized just how badly the steering had deteriorated. It is once again a joy to ride...and much easier to steer than in quite a while. Tracks better down the road, too. Kudos to Jeff at Leaders Marine for troubleshooting it and curing it. I did think it still had a problem when I first started down the road from the shop. At 50 mph the front end started to shake violently. I turned around and headed back, but it seemed to be getting better. I rode a little farther and it settled down nicely. It seems that my Ride-On is definitely still liquid, and I suspect the tires were stored on their sides while the Spyder lay dormant in the shop. No harm, no foul! Smooth as a baby's bottom for the rest of the way home...and I finally got to properly experience what the BajaRon swaybar has really done for me.

I will miss...
The lack of head buffeting on my BMW RT
Far less backlash wind on the Beemer
The effortless way the BMW carves up the highway...at triple digit speeds if you wish

I welcome back:
The stability
The mental ease one has while riding a Spyder
Not having to look for sand or gravel in every corner
The large and convenient storage capacity

It was nice to be forced to ride two wheels again, though. I won't neglect the bikes for as long the next time. For long road trips, though, the Spyder will likely get the nod.