PDA

View Full Version : what is a farkle?

AWEInCA
06-21-2013, 02:51 PM
I gather farkles are mods, but is it a smashup of words like frunk?

wyliec
06-21-2013, 02:54 PM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

function + sparkle

ARtraveler
06-21-2013, 02:55 PM
You have the right idea. I am thinking we may have started that term on SL. I am thinking that the great Bob D. may have had something to do with it. Most now use the term for refering to accessorizing the :spyder2:.

If you do to much--you will be accused of having farkleosis. :roflblack:

diesel-dawg
06-21-2013, 02:55 PM
You are correct. They are actually after market add-ons, sometimes for function and sometimes for bling, or both. Farkle has been around as long as I can remember. I, for some reason, seem to think the derivation is from "favorite sparkles" or "functional sparkles"...or that is how I view the made up word.

diesel-dawg
06-21-2013, 02:58 PM
You have the right idea. I am thinking we may have started that term on SL. I am thinking that the great Bob D. may have had something to do with it. Most now use the term for refering to accessorizing the :spyder2:.

If you do to much--you will be accused of having farkleosis. :roflblack:
That term has been around way before SL or Can-Ams were invented. Used the term back in the 1990's for Goldwing's.

coz
06-21-2013, 03:08 PM
it's one of those :cus: :cus: made up words, like thingy, that should never be used by any intelligent spyderlover.:lecturef_smilie: ever!:barf:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:r olleyes:

ARtraveler
06-21-2013, 03:11 PM
That term has been around way before SL or Can-Ams were invented. Used the term back in the 1990's for Goldwing's.

I stand corrected. I did not encounter the term until I became a part of SL in 2010. :bowdown:

wyliec
06-21-2013, 03:11 PM
it's one of those :cus: :cus: made up words, like thingy, that should never be used by any intelligent spyderlover.:lecturef_smilie: ever!:barf:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:r olleyes:

I rate it right up there with that other thingy word that rhymes with trunk.

coz
06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
I rate it right up there with that other thingy word that rhymes with trunk.
I am with you.:thumbup:

ARCTIC
06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
:agree: x 1,000,000,000%

asp125
06-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Frunk, ryde, :gaah: ... my grade school english teacher would have a coronary.

Jeriatric
06-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Always been 'flash n trash' in my small circle. :dontknow:

rlynchtx
06-21-2013, 03:59 PM
For some reason (to me), frunk seems reasonable but farkle and ryde really get under my skin. Weird huh?

Bob Denman
06-21-2013, 04:44 PM
:shocked: If you don't like farkle; there's always safety chrome... or safety lights...
They go back to before the internet was invented; deep into the late seventies with us "Wing-Nuts" at the time...;)
If you don't like them; don't use them...
Coz... I dig the new face! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Some of you must be having another slow or bad day today. What's wrong with being caught up in some slang or site terminology?

I am a college professor (Accounting and Business) and I think its all right to use some terms when I feel like it.

I like going for rydes on my Y factor machine, and when I do, I sometimes carry stuff in my frunk. I have even installed a farkle or two since 2010.

Have a nice day. Go ahead, say what you want, and attack me for speaking out if you wish. :roflblack::roflblack:

wyliec
06-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Some of you must be having another slow or bad day today. What's wrong with being caught up in some slang or site terminology?

I am a college professor (Accounting and Business) and I think its all right to use some terms when I feel like it.

I like going for rydes on my Y factor machine, and when I do, I sometimes carry stuff in my frunk. I have even installed a farkle or two since 2010.

Have a nice day. Go ahead, say what you want, and attack me for speaking out if you wish. :roflblack::roflblack:

I don't think anyone said not to use the terms. I use slang all the time. I just expressed my opinion as did you. If you like the 'f' word (as it relates to the trunk) use it all you want. Different strokes for different folks.

wyliec
06-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Always been 'flash n trash' in my small circle. :dontknow:

Now that one could have a different meaning than what you may have meant. People around here get arrested for that.

Jeriatric
06-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Now that one could have a different meaning than what you may have meant. People around here get arrested for that.

:shemademe_smilie::doorag: roflmao

Ga Blue Knight
06-21-2013, 07:43 PM
The term "Farkle" came about in the late 1880's when John Farkell put a hat on his Donky. He accomplished this by cutting ear holes and placing a silk ribbon on the brim. This started a trend among other Westerners to dress up the Donky's first following John Farkell's lead and then improvising by adding other slightly functional appurtenances to the said Donky's. thus a tradition was started that continues to this day with the term shortened to Farkle. So if you feel the need to dress up your A$$ with a lots of semi-functional ribbons and bows you are Farkleizing your ride. Source, The BK Encyclopedia of Motorcycle Knowledge, copyright 2012

juliantrost
06-21-2013, 10:18 PM
The term "Farkle" came about in the late 1880's when John Farkell put a hat on his Donky. He accomplished this by cutting ear holes and placing a silk ribbon on the brim. This started a trend among other Westerners to dress up the Donky's first following John Farkell's lead and then improvising by adding other slightly functional appurtenances to the said Donky's. thus a tradition was started that continues to this day with the term shortened to Farkle. So if you feel the need to dress up your A$$ with a lots of semi-functional ribbons and bows you are Farkleizing your ride. Source, The BK Encyclopedia of Motorcycle Knowledge, copyright 2012

OK, now that we know the definition and where the word came from, could someone recommend how can I stop "farkling" my Spyder. I just bought a 2nd Spyder, haven't registered it yet, but already bought $300 worth of farkles. My wife is going to make me sleep in the garage if this continues the way it is going and it is getting hot in NJ and I do not like heat. Please help...:banghead:

spydermyke990
06-21-2013, 10:19 PM
It's also associated with a disease known as Farkleitis...it strikes slowly and insidiously, first by attacking certain areas of the brain and central nervous system whenever the afflicted person is reading any print, electronic, or visual media containing an advertisement displaying any and all forms of vehicular related accessories, parts, riding gear, etc. It also hits when approaching any dealership, repair/accessory retailer, or other related business. symptoms may include giddiness, excessive drooling, bulging eyes, and excitability, as well as a sudden urge to whip out the pocketbook and add large amounts to credit card balances or emptying said pocketbook of cash. It is not yet known if this disease is contagious, however, it may be triggered when encountering vehicular events and noticing that others vehicles may have excessive farkles mounted on or in them, causing jealousy in the afflicted. Other side effects may include a dangerously angered spouse/partner/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc in response to the victim spending excessive amounts of moolah on farkles.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k:

pacog1943
06-21-2013, 10:47 PM
It's also associated with a disease known as Farkleitis...it strikes slowly and insidiously, first by attacking certain areas of the brain and central nervous system whenever the afflicted person is reading any print, electronic, or visual media containing an advertisement displaying any and all forms of vehicular related accessories, parts, riding gear, etc. It also hits when approaching any dealership, repair/accessory retailer, or other related business. symptoms may include giddiness, excessive drooling, bulging eyes, and excitability, as well as a sudden urge to whip out the pocketbook and add large amounts to credit card balances or emptying said pocketbook of cash. It is not yet known if this disease is contagious, however, it may be triggered when encountering vehicular events and noticing that others vehicles may have excessive farkles mounted on or in them, causing jealousy in the afflicted. Other side effects may include a dangerously angered spouse/partner/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc in response to the victim spending excessive amounts of moolah on farkles.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k:

I have truly enjoyed this thread. Lots of fun to laugh at ourselves. Ryde safely, and enjoy your farkling. Paco

juliantrost
06-21-2013, 10:49 PM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

kepople
06-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Farkle aint a word, not neither... ;)

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 05:06 AM
Julian,
It would just be easier to move to a colder climate... :shocked:
The only two known cures for Farkleosis are:
Bankruptcy
Death at the hands of an enraged spouse
:shocked:

kinggeek
06-22-2013, 05:35 AM
FARKLE: Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

wyliec
06-22-2013, 07:15 AM

Although I don't use the word, that's excellent. Nice job.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 08:00 AM

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif

ARCTIC
06-22-2013, 09:08 AM

:roflblack: That's PERFECT. Farkeling the street donkey:roflblack:

kinggeek
06-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Although I don't use the word, that's excellent. Nice job.:thumbup:

I can't take credit for it saw it somewhere here.

DR Buck
06-22-2013, 09:39 AM
OK, now that we know the definition and where the word came from, could someone recommend how can I stop "farkling" my Spyder. I just bought a 2nd Spyder, haven't registered it yet, but already bought $300 worth of farkles. My wife is going to make me sleep in the garage if this continues the way it is going and it is getting hot in NJ and I do not like heat. Please help...:banghead:

You're screwed! It's a terminal disease. There is no known cure. You will be destined to do it until the end comes.

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Julian,
It would just be easier to move to a colder climate... :shocked:
The only two known cures for Farkleosis are:
Bankruptcy
Death at the hands of an enraged spouse
:shocked:
There are cures... But they're far worse than the condition! :yikes:

donec
06-22-2013, 10:41 AM
OK, now that we know the definition and where the word came from, could someone recommend how can I stop "farkling" my Spyder. I just bought a 2nd Spyder, haven't registered it yet, but already bought $300 worth of farkles. My wife is going to make me sleep in the garage if this continues the way it is going and it is getting hot in NJ and I do not like heat. Please help...:banghead:Looks like you have 4 choices.

1. Get rid of the wife. :lecturef_smilie:
2. Get rid of the spyder. :lecturef_smilie:
3. Sleep in the garage. :lecturef_smilie:
4. Spend more on your wife. :shemademe_smilie:

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 10:47 AM
You probably shouldn't get rid of your Wife...
Most of us truly do need that one voice of reason amidst all of the confusion that we cause! :roflblack:

spydercowboy
06-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Farkels are fine but you really have to watch out for sharts!!!:roflblack:

Ga Blue Knight
06-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Farkle aint a word, not neither... ;)

That's because it's a name. See post #19