PDA

View Full Version : Dip Stick Dry.?????

Spyder in La.
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Cranked bike 30min ago, noticed check engine light.:shocked:..... Shutdown bike and checked oil level 5 times with intervals of 3 minutes... The dipstick is DRY..:yikes:.... The dealer performed an oil/filter change less than 1400miles ago.... Check for oil leaks under, near, and around bike, nothing?:spyder:
This is the same dealer that failed to properly install the plastic bottom cover piece... I'm gonna slowly add some oil, any suggestions on a particular brand?
My bike has less than 6K miles.....

NancysToy
06-20-2013, 07:53 PM
First, the oil level may no show on the dipstick with the engine cold. It is supposed to be checked after it is at full operating temperature...preferably after a ride. Second, you are supposed to check the oil level every 300 miles. I would not go more than 500 until you establish the normal usage. Your oil may be low, but there is no way of knowing how much until it starts and gets good and hot.

The check engine light could have lots of causes. To check for active fault codes on the ST, press MODE, SET, and the turn signal cancel simultaneously. I press and hold MODE and SET, then press the turn signal while doing so. The fault codes will in the display if they are still active. An occasional check engine light, that goes away after the ignition is shut off for 15-30 seconds then restarted, is not a worry unless it happens often. A check engine light that doesn't go away should be reported to your dealer.

BajaRon
06-20-2013, 08:05 PM
If it were me I'd add oil until it registered on the stick. Make a note of how much oil you had to add. Then get it up to operation temperature and check it again. You'll probably need to add oil to bring it up to full. Again, keep track of how much oil you had to add so you know how low it was.

Follow Scotty's instructions for the dash warning. If it goes away then you're probably fine.

Check your oil level at least every 500 miles for awhile until you get a feel for your oil usage. Then you will have a better idea if the dealership shorted you or if your Spyder is using it.

Spyder in La.
06-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks!!! I'll followup later tonight or early tomorrow morning.... I do appreciate the great feedback!!!!!!

Tierhog
06-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Whatta ya bet they put the three qts in, started it for a two minutes and got sidetracked! :rolleyes:

Chupaca
06-21-2013, 01:29 AM
follow the procedure in the manual to check your level. If in fact you need to add oil and the dealer did your last change you would use the brp oil. Best to use the same (semi synthetic, full synthetic, mineral etc.) as was used in the last change. Give them a call or check your receipt....:thumbup:

BajaRon
06-21-2013, 06:58 AM
follow the procedure in the manual to check your level. If in fact you need to add oil and the dealer did your last change you would use the brp oil. Best to use the same (semi synthetic, full synthetic, mineral etc.) as was used in the last change. Give them a call or check your receipt....:thumbup:

Actually, any good blended or full synthetic oil will work fine. Oils are not all that much different these days. It's mostly the quality of additives in the doctored Dino oil that differ. And the true synthetics have very little in the way of additives.

The Dealers probably used BRP oil (which is Castrol's 10w-40 blend). So as long as you use the same or better spec oil you'll be fine.

Spyder in La.
06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
I checked for codes late last night, all was clear... Gradually added oil until it registered at bottom of dipstick.... Started bike and ran until it reached normal operating temp, shutdown engine, waited couple minutes:pray:, checked and added more oil to just shy of full quart....
Took 30min ride this morning and no problems..... :yes::coffee:
Looking back, I did note that the bike was parked on an incline which may have contributed to alarm:dontknow:.... Other news, I contacted dealership and learned that the prior service tech is no longer employed....:shocked:

BTW... I did use castrol full synthetic oil....

Again, Thanks......

Bob Denman
06-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Glad to hear that all is seeming much better now! :thumbup: