PDA

View Full Version : Engine Locked

myronmathis
06-20-2013, 05:39 PM
I took my spyder RS-S to the del for diagnostics after it shut down on me on the highway, they told me that all signs point toward the engine being locked up. Has anyone out there had this issue before? they also advised me that it is still under warranty if it is a manufacturers defect, my first thought was "what else could it be besides their defect"

BajaRon
06-20-2013, 05:43 PM
I took my spyder RS-S to the del for diagnostics after it shut down on me on the highway, they told me that all signs point toward the engine being locked up. Has anyone out there had this issue before? they also advised me that it is still under warranty if it is a manufacturers defect, my first thought was "what else could it be besides their defect"

Could be other things like low oil or wrong oil. But chances are it was an oil pump failure or some other warrantied item. Was it showing hot?

Bob Ledford
06-20-2013, 06:24 PM
BajaRon is right on target but I will add to the list of what ifs....

You could have lost a water pump overheated and seized a piston or two. Burned a connecting rod bearing.????

Did you notice any strange noises or smells?

model. Year? Mileage?

myronmathis
06-20-2013, 06:46 PM
The spyder is a 2011 RSS, I didn't hear any strange sounds nor did any warning messages come up. the oil pressure light never came on and the temperature was normal. nothing drained from the engine area or from anywhere under the bike itself.

MrLooney
06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn::spyder:

myronmathis
06-20-2013, 07:03 PM
they say that it was metal fragments in the oil when they drained it.
BajaRon is right on target but I will add to the list of what ifs....

You could have lost a water pump overheated and seized a piston or two. Burned a connecting rod bearing.????

Did you notice any strange noises or smells?

model. Year? Mileage?

myronmathis
06-20-2013, 07:05 PM
have you heard of this happening before?
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn::spyder:

hackett43
06-20-2013, 07:16 PM

My engine locked, The connecting rod broke but my dealer could not determine what actually caused it . Oil had metal shavings like yours did, He said all of the damage to the engine
was bottom end damage. The engine case was cracked and couldn't be rebuilt . I hope you don't have a problem with your warranty as BRP would not cover mine.

myronmathis
06-20-2013, 08:21 PM
why wouldn't they cover it?
My engine locked, The connecting rod broke but my dealer could not determine what actually caused it . Oil had metal shavings like yours did, He said all of the damage to the engine
was bottom end damage. The engine case was cracked and couldn't be rebuilt . I hope you don't have a problem with your warranty as BRP would not cover mine.

Espionage
06-20-2013, 11:32 PM

Wow this is what scares me about purchasing a spyder. I am by no means a wealthy individual and would rely on BRP honoring their warranty if something does go wrong. What did they tell you when you contacted BRP?

serf
06-21-2013, 08:49 AM

I think they blamed his on an o2 mod or fuel manager, but I couldn't find the thread on my cell.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ARCTIC
06-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Wow this is what scares me about purchasing a spyder. I am by no means a wealthy individual and would rely on BRP honoring their warranty if something does go wrong. What did they tell you when you contacted BRP?

Don't jump into "the sky is falling" mentality just yet. Remember the problems always come to the internet. So a higher percentage of what you read are problems.

I think they blamed his on an o2 mod or fuel manager, but I couldn't find the thread on my cell.

It's understandable for warranty to be denied if in fact the programming is altered. Not saying that is what happened.

BajaRon
06-21-2013, 09:51 AM

That really doesn't tell us much. There are always going to be metal fragments in the oil when an engine seizes. The question is, Which came first? The Chicken or the egg? (which is easily answered but I digress).

In other words, did the metal fragments CAUSE the seizure or did the seizure cause the metal fragments?

Could have been something fragged and the parts caused the seizure. Or it could have been some issue that caused extreme friction which in turn caused the engine to create metal fragments as it seized.

Since you had no heating or oil pressure issues my guess is the 1st possibility.

ARCTIC
06-21-2013, 09:57 AM
That really doesn't tell us much. There are always going to be metal fragments in the oil when an engine seizes. The question is, Which came first? The Chicken or the egg? (which is easily answered but I digress).

In other words, did the metal fragments CAUSE the seizure or did the seizure cause the metal fragments?

Could have been something fragged and the parts caused the seizure. Or it could have been some issue that caused extreme friction which in turn caused the engine to create metal fragments as it seized.

Since you had no heating or oil pressure issues my guess is the 1st possibility.

The answer to which came first is probably easily answered by... are you claiming warranty or are you reviewing a warranty claim:coffee:

Bob Denman
06-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Well; Here's to hoping that the cause is found, and the cure is handled in a satisfactory manner! :cheers:

myronmathis
06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks I just want to be sure that BRP honors the warranty, I haven't made any mods to my RSS so this wont be an issue. I will keep everyone posted on how its going with my spyder. This is a great site to communicate issues with our spyders and suggestions. Thanks to all!

Chupaca
06-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Not enough to make an educated guess as to the cause. Hopefully they get into it quickly for the sake of both parties..Do let us know as things develop...!! :pray:

wyliec
06-21-2013, 02:50 PM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40973-Engine-Locked-Down-BRP-Want-Cover-Under-Warranty

myronmathis
06-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I haven't contacted BRP, the service department has to take the engine apart to see what may have caused the issue. Should I contact BRP? Should I get my Lawyer involved if they wont honor the warranty?

Jeriatric
06-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I haven't contacted BRP, the service department has to take the engine apart to see what may have caused the issue. Should I contact BRP? Should I get my Lawyer involved if they wont honor the warranty?

Delete legal counsel from your speed dial and take it one step at a time. Give life before a lawyer a chance. nojoke

ARtraveler
06-21-2013, 03:04 PM

I recommend leaving the lawyer out of the picture and use that only as a last resort. When you mix BRP and lawyer together you get non-response or non-help because they are going to let the "system" take care of things.

The dealer is your first line of defense. Let them do the work and fix the machine. It seems like it should be a warranty thing unless you have made any modifications to void the warranty. I believe you are the second person to mention this problem on the site. When there are some 40 to 50 thousand machines out and about, you are going go find crazy stuff from time to time.

Please keep us informed.

myronmathis
06-21-2013, 04:45 PM
you are right about life before lawyer, I am just anxious about the outcome
Delete legal counsel from your speed dial and take it one step at a time. Give life before a lawyer a chance. nojoke

Jeriatric
06-21-2013, 04:49 PM
you are right about life before lawyer, I am just anxious about the outcome

We're all with you. Anxious that is. Hope it's cut and dried in your favor and nothing you have to defend. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Just please let us know what happens next; we're pulling for you! :2thumbs:
And since you've made no modifications to the bike; what could they use as a reason to negate the warranty? :dontknow:
NOTHING! :thumbup:

hackett43
06-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Well, They first said because i had a fuel controller on my spyder it wouldn't be covered under warranty . That was before my dealer had ever did anything to the bike, So i called and
talked to them and asked them how can they not cover without any proof that the controller cause damage to the engine. So they told me it was a misunderstanding and i had to authorize my dealer to do diagnostics . After my dealer tore down the engine and took pictures and sent them to brp. they found no damage that was caused by the fuel controller .
So BRP told me that they still would not cover damages under warranty, Because i over rev the engine at 11000 rpms and caused the engine to over heat. Please, Whatever you do just follow the process let your dealer file for warranty repairs. DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT LAWYERS AT THIS POINT, FOLLOW THE PROCESS !!!
GOOD LUCK !!!

serf
06-21-2013, 08:08 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40973-Engine-Locked-Down-BRP-Want-Cover-Under-Warranty

Thanks, I was in a but of a hurry and didn't have the time to try to search for old threads on my phone. Just wanted to let the OP know that there was a bit more to the story. Not saying BRP didn't find a cop out, but there was a special circumstance.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 2

OldCowboy
06-21-2013, 08:13 PM
So BRP told me that they still would not cover damages under warranty, Because i over rev the engine at 11000 rpms and caused the engine to over heat.

Doesn't the Spyder have a rev limiter??

hackett43
06-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Doesn't the Spyder have a rev limiter??

You're correct it does, So if it did actually happen that means there factory rev limiter failed.

Espionage
06-21-2013, 11:22 PM
About a year after I purchased my Acura, my o2 sensor went out. I was under warranty so took it in for service. They told me I had rev'd the engine to 9500. I asked how that was possible with the rev limiter and they said imust have missed a shift. Its pretty terrible how one second of high rpm can void your expensive vehicles warranty.

hackett43
06-22-2013, 06:54 AM
About a year after I purchased my Acura, my o2 sensor went out. I was under warranty so took it in for service. They told me I had rev'd the engine to 9500. I asked how that was possible with the rev limiter and they said imust have missed a shift. Its pretty terrible how one second of high rpm can void your expensive vehicles warranty.

Did they repair under warranty ? My dealer told me that the only way to over rev is to miss shift(ONLY A SECOND OF OF HIGH RPM ) also but know way cause engine damage as it did to mine. Unless somehow the rev limiter mal functioned .

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Could one of those aftermarket controllers negate the ability of the rev-limiter to function properly? :dontknow:
If that's what happened; you blew it, Baby! :shocked:

hackett43
06-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Could one of those aftermarket controllers negate the ability of the rev-limiter to function properly? :dontknow:
If that's what happened; you blew it, Baby! :shocked:

To my knowledge, The fuel controller only manages the amount of fuel to the bike. So out of all the Fuel Controller units that has been sold mine was possible the only one that could
have tricked the rev limiter to go out of range ? Also that 11000 rpm over rev on the buds report that BRP is referring to is only registered for a second.

ARCTIC
06-22-2013, 09:02 AM
To my knowledge, The fuel controller only manages the amount of fuel to the bike. So out of all the Fuel Controller units that has been sold mine was possible the only one that could
have tricked the rev limiter to go out of range ? Also that 11000 rpm over rev on the buds report that BRP is referring to is only registered for a second.
What I want to know is.... how did BRP find out about the fuel controller?

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 09:22 AM
:agree: Good point! :thumbup:

NancysToy
06-22-2013, 09:23 AM

You're kidding, right? If he tore into the Spyder and couldn't spy a Juice Box or Power Commander, and the associated wiring, I would worry about having a tech like that do my work. This isn't like replacing the eeprom in the ECM on your F-150.

hackett43
06-22-2013, 09:32 AM

They asked my dealer what aftermarket parts were installed on my spyder and they told them. I wouldn't want them to lie
for me.

Bob Denman
06-22-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm NOT saying that you did anything wrong...
But that bike would have had every non-original piece off of it before I would have even called the dealer...
...Or would that show a lack of my own moral fiber? :shocked:

hackett43
06-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm NOT saying that you did anything wrong...
But that bike would have had every non-original piece off of it before I would have even called the dealer...

Looking back, Bob i agree with you.

boborgera
06-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Just a question?
What type of Rev. limiter is on the Spyder, ie; A Soft limiter [fuel cut off]
Or an electronic [hard] cut off?? Or both, A soft limiter can conceivably be defeated by an fuel enhancer...

Illinois Boy
06-22-2013, 10:12 AM
...that bike would have had every non-original piece off of it before I would have even called the dealer...

You can be the judge of your own actions... :yikes:

DrewNJ
06-22-2013, 12:10 PM
It is a hard limiter IIRC. And no way is it possible that a less than 1 second 11k rpm mis-shift spike ALONE would cause that. There was something else going on.
The same motor is used in the RSV4 and and a good friend has his shift light set at 10k and the limiter at 11k. He runs the crap out of that bike too. Most of the aftermarket tunes for that motor use a 10.5k limiter and quite a few peeps run that.

IMHO Something was ugly in that motor before the 11k mis-shift.....:sour:

Good Luck though....BRP is kinda brutal once they make a decision.

myronmathis
07-10-2013, 12:51 AM
I found out today that a timing chain broke during my ride which immediately shut the engine down. BRP is sending a new engine to the dealer to install on my 2011 RSS under the coverage of the warranty.:yes::yes:

hackett43
07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
I found out today that a timing chain broke during my ride which immediately shut the engine down. BRP is sending a new engine to the dealer to install on my 2011 RSS under the coverage of the warranty.:yes::yes:

That's great, Glade to see you didn't have any issues with your warranty and you just followed the process. Hopefully you will be back on the road soon. :thumbup:

myronmathis
07-20-2013, 08:37 AM
I went to check out the engine after they removed it and opened it up, the technician determined that a timing chain broke and it damaged a lot of stuff inside. one of the shafts was cracked and there was metal throughout the engine, what a mess just glad that it is covered and I will get a new engine.