PDA

View Full Version : OEM FOX Adjustable Shock Kit with Sway Bar vs BajaRon

AWEInCA
06-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Looking into getting a sway bar for my ST. There is an OEM:

FOX Adjustable Shock Kit with Sway Bar (219400409)
http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/631121/219400409/_/FOX_Adjustable_Shock_Kit_with_Sway_Bar

Anyone install the OEM? Should I wait to see what BajaRon comes out with?

Sny
06-23-2013, 01:08 AM
I got the BRP kit with bar and fox shocks and it's not terrible but I think there's room for improvement.

Sarge707
06-23-2013, 12:04 PM
If you get an ST and have driven another Model aggressively would you feel the need for the Shocks and Bar?
I thought the New suspension was the End All of All Time?:dontknow:

Sny
06-23-2013, 02:50 PM
If you get an ST and have driven another Model aggressively would you feel the need for the Shocks and Bar?
I thought the New suspension was the End All of All Time?:dontknow:
Jury is still out on that one.

Here's what I've gathered from other spyder lovers.

If you had a stock GS/RS/RT and move to any 2013, you're going to LOVE it.

If you had a modified RT (sway bar, elkas etc) you might be OK with stock but might want to look at BajaRon's Swaybar.

If you had a modified GS/RS or RSS you might feel like something is wrong on a 2013 ST. Seating position, different handlebar position and angles, different steering forces all add up to it feeling not right.

If you had a modified GS/RS or RSS and move to a 2013 ST with the $399 suspension kit from BRP (sway bar + Fox shocks), you still might not feel right, or you might thing you've found nirvana. After you ride it a while tho, and then go back to the GS/RS/RSS you'll be like... man I miss my ST, it corners so flat and neutral...

I never rode a stock ST. I went straight for the BRP bar and Fox shocks. My first 10 miles on it I thought, wow, that's incredible! My next 600 miles was mostly highway and I felt like I had made a huge mistake. 2000 miles later, some tweaking and tuning of the air pressures and I have to say I can't ever go back. It helps that 22 of those miles were up and down the dragon, impressive. I still want to tweak it but that's my nature I guess.

Test drive one. You'll know what I mean right away.

Jharpo
08-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I had a fully modified 2009 GS with upgraded shocks and BajaRon sway bar. It cornered and handled like a dream. When I purchased my ST Limited I was very unhappy with the handling of the bike. It appeared very floppy, pulled to the right even after realignment, and left hand corners were a bear. It was very difficult to set a line and hold it on curves. I ordered the Fox Racing Shocks and upgraded sway bar kit. It was on back order, with no date expectations. Then I got a call from my dealer that he had gotten a bulletin from BRP on replacing some of the shocks. With the new, much beefier shocks in place the handling improved a lot. When BajaRon came out with the 2013 ST sway bar, I ordered it immediately. The improvement was HUGE. My ST now handles more precisely and with less physical effort than my GS ever did. Now, if I could just lower the heat on my left knee, I would really be a beyond happy Spyder Ryder. The upgraded BRP sway bar is not even close to the BajaRon sway bar.

BajaRon
08-11-2013, 08:58 PM
At the risk of sounding biased (which admittedly I am) here is my take based on personal experience and customer feedback.

Stock 2008~2012 RS/GS vs stock 2013 RS/ST - 2013 redesigned suspension is much improved - Advantage, 2013's. The 2013 RSS with the much improved Fox shocks and somewhat better sway bar is another notch up.

Properly set up 2008-2012 RS/GS vs stock 2013 RS/ST - No contest. The earlier model will run circles around the stock 2013's. I have not ridden the 2013 RSS but from customers feedback this model does come closer to a properly set up Pre-2013, but still needs improvement.

Stock 2010~2012 RT vs stock 2013 RT - Much the same comparison as the RS/GS models. 2013 redesigned suspension is much better.

Properly set up Pre-2013 RT will run circles around the stock 2013 RT models.

Bottom line, the 2013's have much greater potential than previous models due to improved suspension geometry. Substantial improvement can be achieved with aftermarket components.

I have had owners say that they were happy with their 2013 Spyder until they swapped rides with a buddy who had a properly set up machine. Sometimes you just don't know what you're missing.

Chupaca
08-12-2013, 12:44 AM
not the drink..me. If it ain't broke don't fix it, if it ain't worn out don't replace it. I have found that with the relatively cheap mods my RS handles like I want it to and a 100% better than stock. I have to say I have not ridden an ST stock or modified RT of any kind or the RSS's. What I don't know I can't miss. Our's is young with less than a year and only 10,500 miles. So I can't compare but suspension is something that will always be changed and modified by manufacturer and customer as well. Modify by steps and find your happy place..jmho...and thanks to all the sponsors that make these mods available..!! :2thumbs:

Doug
08-12-2013, 05:21 AM
What do you suggest be done to the stock 2013 ST to make it comparable to a corrected and well setup pre 2013

Sny
08-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Bottom line, the 2013's have much greater potential than previous models due to improved suspension geometry. Substantial improvement can be achieved with aftermarket components.
:agree: Well put.

I have had owners say that they were happy with their 2013 Spyder until they swapped rides with a buddy who had a properly set up machine. Sometimes you just don't know what you're missing.
The problem here is, you never know when you've reached that point if you don't swap rides every now and then.

Lesson of the day for handling elitists: Always share your toys! :thumbup:

BajaRon
08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
What do you suggest be done to the stock 2013 ST to make it comparable to a corrected and well setup pre 2013

I think at this point you're going to get the biggest bang for the buck (and huge improvement) installing my sway bar and the BRP adjustable Fox shocks. It sounds like BRP is coming out with a better engineered stock shock replacement for the RS and ST's and it's too early to compare them to the Fox. But I still like the adjustability of the Fox over a 'One Size Fits All' approach.

For those who what the ultimate there is always the Elka shocks. But the only way to fix a soft sway bar is to replace it with a stronger one.

Doug
08-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I think at this point you're going to get the biggest bang for the buck (and huge improvement) installing my sway bar and the BRP adjustable Fox shocks. It sounds like BRP is coming out with a better engineered stock shock replacement for the RS and ST's and it's too early to compare them to the Fox. But I still like the adjustability of the Fox over a 'One Size Fits All' approach.

For those who what the ultimate there is always the Elka shocks. But the only way to fix a soft sway bar is to replace it with a stronger one.

I've ordered your sway bar and will have it installed after it arrives, before continuing with changing out the shocks to the fox or other, I will test drive it and discover the degree of improvement with that alone. Could you possibly elaborate on the better engineered stock shocks, that BRP are coming out with.

quickster47
08-18-2013, 06:38 AM
I have a RT Limited with Elka shocks, Pit Bull relocators and a BajaRon sway bar.

FOr our new ST-S I ordered the RS-S Fox shocks and sway bar but also got the BajaRon sway bar for it because without a doubt there is a significant difference in Ron's bar. You just can't beat it.

Now, even though the suspension is much improved on the ST-S with these new changes it is absolutely better than the OEM set up.

Carl

Benggolf
10-17-2013, 12:41 AM
I have a RT Limited with Elka shocks, Pit Bull relocators and a BajaRon sway bar.

FOr our new ST-S I ordered the RS-S Fox shocks and sway bar but also got the BajaRon sway bar for it because without a doubt there is a significant difference in Ron's bar. You just can't beat it.

Now, even though the suspension is much improved on the ST-S with these new changes it is absolutely better than the OEM set up.

Carl

Carl, could you give us an update on your ST-S suspension set up? Am waiting for my Ronbar and have not decided whether to change the OEM front shocks as yet. Compare the new adjustable Fox shocks versus the Elka Stage 1+R; is there a significant advantage going to Elka's?

Thanks!

quickster47
10-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Carl, could you give us an update on your ST-S suspension set up? Am waiting for my Ronbar and have not decided whether to change the OEM front shocks as yet. Compare the new adjustable Fox shocks versus the Elka Stage 1+R; is there a significant advantage going to Elka's?

Thanks!

As I mentioned previously, the OEM set up is not that bad and of course, I think, a lot of the opinions, at least mine, are based on how you drive your Spyder. Fortunately around our area here in Tennessee there are lots of good roads for some fast riding and hard cornering and my opinions are based on driving these before and after the suspension changes.

I am quite aggressive and like the bike set up a little stiff, which my wife doesn't care for. But then I also remind her the ST-S is a sports tourer and not the long distance tourer like our RT.

I first installed the FOX shocks and the BRP swaybar that came in the kit. The included sway bar is perhaps a little bit larger OD but I also believe it is made out of a better/stiffer tensile steel than the OEM bar because the new combination made a difference in handling. Of course it could have been the shocks that were the main contributor to the better handling but I do believe the included bar helped keep the body roll under better control. I also tried the FOX shocks at minimum preload, mid preload, and maximum preload with maximum preload giving the stiffest ride and the best corner handling.

Next I removed the upgraded swaybar and installed the BajaRon swaybar. Again I started with the shocks set to minimum preload, then mid preload, and finally maximum preload. WOW, what a difference the BajaRon sway bar makes. With the FOX shocks set to minimum preload and the BajaRon bar I was say it was equivalent to the FOX shocks set to maximum prelaoad with the BRP upgraded bar. But no matter what shock setting I used the ST-S showed significantly less body roll throughout all my testing with the BajaRon swaybar.

As of right now I am running the FOX shocks set to mid preload and for our riding that seems to really work out the best. Setting them to maximum preload was a just a little to harsh.

Since doing all this initial testing I also had my ST-S aligned by Lamont at his garage. Doing that made a significant difference in the way MY ST-S handled and steered through the twisties. I wasn't sure I had a problem before I had the alignment but having the alignment showed me that my bike was not set up correctly from the factory.

I do not yet have Elkas for my ST-S but that is going to be my next major purchase for the ST-S. After I get them installed I will report back on my findings.

Carl

cuznjohn
10-17-2013, 09:33 AM
i would go with the ekas, i have them and they made a big difference

johnwinslow
10-17-2013, 09:36 AM
I have a2011 RTS with fox shocks from a RS and ron's sway bar I turn on to a side road from the main road at forty or so mph and do not lift the tire, that is as good as ever need.

ZRCAT600
10-20-2013, 10:53 PM
I just had my STL updated with the Fox shocks and Ron's bar. Huge difference. Before the bar it was a bit scary at times. Thought wind was going to blow me into oncoming traffic. :yikes:After the upgrade I drove home in 20 mile per hour side winds with gusts higher and no problems. It was literally a new machine. A true dream to drive. My dealer is 25 miles from home but even in the wind It took me 75. :ohyea: Thanks Ron! :thumbup:

Benggolf
10-21-2013, 02:06 AM
I just had my STL updated with the Fox shocks and Ron's bar. Huge difference. Before the bar it was a bit scary at times. Thought wind was going to blow me into oncoming traffic. :yikes:After the upgrade I drove home in 20 mile per hour side winds with gusts higher and no problems. It was literally a new machine. A true dream to drive. My dealer is 25 miles from home but even in the wind It took me 75. :ohyea: Thanks Ron! :thumbup:

Just wondering how did you find the ride with the Ron bar and adjustable Fox shocks compared to OEM. Is the ride now smoother or more choppy. What tire pressures are you running?

Am planning on doing the same mod and can't decide to go Fox or Elkas. Thanks.

ZRCAT600
10-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Just wondering how did you find the ride with the Ron bar and adjustable Fox shocks compared to OEM. Is the ride now smoother or more choppy. What tire pressures are you running?

Am planning on doing the same mod and can't decide to go Fox or Elkas. Thanks.
I am running 17 up front and 25 in the rear.

As far as the ride goes. It feels very similar going straight intel you get wind gusts. I got blown around with OEM set up. It holds turns and curves a lot better now no wallowing on long curves. It was scary enough that I didn't want to go out on windy days. The wife was not a fan of blowing all over our lane with oncoming traffic. Once I had the Fox Shocks and Ron's sway bar installed. The wind barely affects the bike at all. It was way better than I expected it to be. I feel like I am in total control now. Best thing I could have done to improve fun factor of the Spyder! I think a great deal of the Improvement is from the sway bar.

Colin
10-21-2013, 02:16 PM
I had a 2011 RSS with Fox Shocks and 15mm Swaybar, and I loved the ride, was totally happy with it.
I now have an ST SM5. I kept the Fox Shocks from my RSS and fitted to the ST, although I have only done 1500kms which is maybe around 900 miles, I can honestly say I am happy with the ride, the handling is very good, it took a short time to adjust to the different riding position, but absolutely love it now.
Not saying I wont try a Swaybar etc... but for now I am a happy rider.
No 2 people are the same in the way they ride and what they expect from their ride.
Ride it Stock, then make your decision on what will suit your riding style.

Questions
10-22-2013, 10:40 PM
:agree: Well put.

The problem here is, you never know when you've reached that point if you don't swap rides every now and then.

Lesson of the day for handling elitists: Always share your toys! :thumbup:

if you share your women,,,,you might end up,you know!!!!!!

Sny
10-22-2013, 11:34 PM
I had to add a comment here:

If you're thinking about the RSS kit for your 2013 ST, don't do it unless you're willing to do some major tweaking.

The shocks are 1/2" shorter which results in unwanted (and uneven) camber. You have to adjust the shock pre-load way out to compensate.

If you're getting the fox shocks for the 2013 so you can adjust them, you can't. There will be only one position you can use and have the correct camber.

That said, they are better shock/springs than stock so if you're willing to take a chance and play with it...

Dealers don't know about this so they're bound to give bad advice. (give Pitbull a call, Len knows!)

I'm waiting to see of the 2014 ST shocks (all 2014 ST's come with Fox shocks) are the same part as the 2013 RSS/ST kit.

Benggolf
10-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks for clarifying Sny as I was considering the adjustable Fox shock absorbers for our STS together with the Ron bar.

Checked with the dealer yesterday and the 2014 parts catalog list part number 219400470 of the 2014 ST. How can we find out if this is an adjustable model and will it fit the 2013 STS? They cannot confirm the proper fitment as yet.

Colin
10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks for clarifying Sny as I was considering the adjustable Fox shock absorbers for our STS together with the Ron bar.

Checked with the dealer yesterday and the 2014 parts catalog list part number 219400470 of the 2014 ST. How can we find out if this is an adjustable model and will it fit the 2013 STS? They cannot confirm the proper fitment as yet.

I spoke to my Dealer here in NZ as I have a set of Fox Shocks from my RSS on my ST SM5 and want to replace them with 2014 Fox Shocks and put the others on my partners RSS.
He advised the 14 were adjustable and will fit a 2013 ST

Benggolf
02-10-2014, 01:17 AM
A while back, I had the RonBar installed in our RT and stayed with the OEM shock absorbers. It reduced the body roll considerably but the change is not as dramatic as having the RonBar and the Fox shocks on the STS which was done last Wednesday! Ron was absolutely right.

The transformation is quite amazing. Not only does it track like it were on rails, the STS now feels solid and sails to railroad tracks and road undulations so smoothly like a limo! ;)
I had my tire pressures set to 20PSI front and 28PSI in the rear. Snoopy you have to try it....you will be amazed. :yikes:

Also, the dealer did perform Service Bulletin #2013-9 on the STS; ECM Software Update and replacement of UpperBelt Guard retaining screws.
Nothing mentioned about resealing of the Front Fuse Boxes and new Fuse Box Covers. Probably they didn't have the parts on hand and will likely take care of it next time the bike is in the shop.

Thanks also to Sny, Carl and others that answered my questions and lent a helping hand. Much appreciated.

SNOOPY
02-10-2014, 06:06 AM
I'll have to try the tire pressures, haven't ridden w the new shocks and laser alignment yet.

Was the ECM update for ST's also?

Benggolf
02-10-2014, 07:55 PM
I'll have to try the tire pressures, haven't ridden w the new shocks and laser alignment yet.

Was the ECM update for ST's also?

The dealer did perform Service Bulletin #2013-9; ECM Software Update and replacement of UpperBelt Guard retaining screws.
Nothing mentioned about resealing of the Front Fuse Boxes and new Fuse Box Covers. Probably they didn't have the parts on hand and will likely take care of it next time the bike is in the shop.

SNOOPY
02-10-2014, 10:34 PM
The dealer did perform Service Bulletin #2013-9; ECM Software Update and replacement of UpperBelt Guard retaining screws.

Thanks, wasn't sure if you meant the RT or ST or both.

Benggolf
02-11-2014, 03:34 AM
Thanks, wasn't sure if you meant the RT or ST or both.

Ahh, ok. I edited my original post and hope it clears any confusion.

BTW, I check with the dealer today and they told me they resealed the front fuse boxes and resealed the Front Fuse Boxes as well as installed new fuse box covers too.