PDA

View Full Version : too much oil from dealer?

AWEInCA
06-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi,

I have been reading other posts about sluggish gear changes that could result from low oil. That was happening to me so I checked it. There's way too much oil according to the dipstick.

I followed the instructions in the manual to check and it say to check it at operating temperatures with a warning saying if you didn't it could result in overfilling the engine oil.

I don't think they ran it before checking the oil and as a result overfilled it.

I only have about 200 miles on it since I picked it up. It's new so that's 200 miles total. Not yet to the first service.

My question is should I be concerned about damage? How do I address the issue with my dealer?

Thanks

NancysToy
06-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Common problem. Remove the excess oil and motor on. It would be difficult to damage an engine this way, but you could get a dandy oil leak. If you did damage the engine, it would likely be bad...and you would know it. I'd mention it to my dealer.

Chupaca
06-20-2013, 01:15 PM
if you followed procedure and it is where you indicated you need to remove enough to bring it down to or below the full mark. To much will cause blow back to the air box and thus leaking from there. If possible have them do it so they realize they need to be more careful or learn the proper procedure...:gaah:

Dustybell
06-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I share your pain. Our dealer also over filled at our last service. We checked it after a ride and the oil was passed the last xxx mark. Went back to dealer and quoted the manual to them. Was told that the correct way to do it is with the engine cold. Just start it and let it run enough to circulate the oil then check. The oil level was perfect that way. Asked why the manual said operating temperature and was told manual was wrong. Sure would like to have faith in the people you trust your spyder to, but....

Needless to say, next time we will take a 3 hour trip to get to another dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

bullant12
06-20-2013, 02:04 PM
I share your pain. Our dealer also over filled at our last service. We checked it after a ride and the oil was passed the last xxx mark. Went back to dealer and quoted the manual to them. Was told that the correct way to do it is with the engine cold. Just start it and let it run enough to circulate the oil then check. The oil level was perfect that way. Asked why the manual said operating temperature and was told manual was wrong. Sure would like to have faith in the people you trust your spyder to, but....

Needless to say, next time we will take a 3 hour trip to get to another dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Said the manual was wrong?!?! Yep... new dealer search time!nojoke

ulflyer
06-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Ride it to your nearest auto store, park on level ground, check oil level again, and if still full like shown above go inside and buy one of those red colored suction bulbs and get it out. Take a pint jar with you to put it in. Save it for later when U need it.

If you havent used those suction bulbs before squeeze carefully as the rubber bulb easily pops off the plastic tube and oil runs out. Take a big rag alone. I've found a turkey baster with a piece of plastic tube stuck on the end works better but if you don't have tubing, go with red suction bulb.

mdale46
06-20-2013, 02:33 PM
I recently had same issue. 10oz over filled. I used a plastic condiment bottle from Dollar Store and a piece of plastic tubing. Squeeze air out of bottle, insert tube, release bottle and oil is suctioned out. Works great and it's cheep. No damage. As NancysToy told me, remove excess oil, don't worry, and ride.
:spyder2:

Bob Denman
06-20-2013, 02:40 PM
I like using the Turkey Baster; it makes the garage smell like the Holidays! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_5_21.gif :roflblack::roflblack:
No joke; they're cheaper, and who doesn't have some fuel line laying around somewhere? nojoke

myronmathis
06-20-2013, 02:41 PM
I have a 2011 RS and it uses quite a bit of oil; is that normal?
I recently had same issue. 10oz over filled. I used a plastic condiment bottle from Dollar Store and a piece of plastic tubing. Squeeze air out of bottle, insert tube, release bottle and oil is suctioned out. Works great and it's cheep. No damage. As NancysToy told me, remove excess oil, don't worry, and ride.
:spyder2:

ricocamp
06-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi,

I have been reading other posts about sluggish gear changes that could result from low oil. That was happening to me so I checked it. There's way too much oil according to the dipstick.

I followed the instructions in the manual to check and it say to check it at operating temperatures with a warning saying if you didn't it could result in overfilling the engine oil.

I don't think they ran it before checking the oil and as a result overfilled it.

I only have about 200 miles on it since I picked it up. It's new so that's 200 miles total. Not yet to the first service.

My question is should I be concerned about damage? How do I address the issue with my dealer?

Thanks

When I first checked my oil at 400 miles on my 2013-RTS, it was over the 'F' on the dip stick, close to a half inch over the full line. Called my dealer and asked should I be concerned & remove oil. He said not to worry since I only had 200 miles to go before service. No damage would result. He did admit that they should have let it warm more during the prep. But he said the oil was factory filled. ??? Do other dealers fill the oil?
I'm at 1700 miles, check it very other fillup and its dead on at the line. Not losing any oil.

gypsy_100
06-20-2013, 03:55 PM
I like using the Turkey Baster; it makes the garage smell like the Holidays! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_5_21.gif :roflblack::roflblack:
nojoke

The added flavor for the holidays is the best part. Only way to go, plus a short length of vinyl tubing if you need it. That's what I do.