PDA

View Full Version : Thank you CanAm!

jascreek
06-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Yesterday I was rear-ended by a young lady who was either on the phone or texting and pushed me into the vehicle in front of me. I know the rear end of the Spyder came off the ground based on the damage to her hood of her vehicle. I stayed on the Spyder and was able to get off the bike without a scratch. The officer who arrived on the scene expected the worst and was surprised. He said if it had been 2 wheels there most definitely would have been a different outcome.

Spyder did not fare so well. Now just waiting for the determination on whether it is repairable or totaled.

People have asked me if I am going to keep riding. Most definitely YES.

Riker
06-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Wow!! Glad your ok and sorry about your Spyder...:yikes:

Raknid
06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Wow...thank goodness you are ok. Regarding the Spyder, that should buff out. :sour::D

Saluda
06-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Can always get another Spyder. Good luck.

ARCTIC
06-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Glad your okay..... it's totaled

Espionage
06-19-2013, 10:10 PM
What speed would you say she hit you at?

daveinva
06-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Glad your okay..... it's totaled

:agree: That don't look too good... but bikes can be replaced, lives can't!

wannaspyder
06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Glad you are ok. You had a beautiful machine and it protected you well.

NancysToy
06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Glad you are OK...and very glad you were riding a Spyder. I wish there were more severe consequences for distracted driving (or even tailgating). It might make people more careful.

1VENOM
06-19-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm glad your around to tell us about it.:) Lost a friend that way on his two wheels.

Chupaca
06-19-2013, 11:54 PM
really glad you walked away from that. Looks a lot like you will be replacing that one...!! :gaah:

MrLooney
06-20-2013, 04:51 AM
Sure glad you walked away unscathed!! Being the meat between 2 slices of bread is not a pretty site!

WOW looks like a lot of damage to me, mostly replaceable. But the pic is small and only at one angle. What does the back of your :spyder2: look like?
:nopic:More Pics Please

Ga Blue Knight
06-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Very happy that you are ok! Whether its totaled or not really has to do with what the cost to fix it versus replace it is in addtion to whether it can be fixed. It's an insurance calculation. If it is totaled be sure to remove whatever add ons that are undamaged before the insurance company claims the bike. Good luck on your new model!

CyncySpyder
06-20-2013, 06:03 AM
Thanks for share'n & really glad it came out like it did, sad for the machine, but it did its job and saved your life:bowdown:

finless
06-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Wow, glad your OK! I have actually seen this happen to a 2 wheeler and the outcome was not good.
How fast would you say she hit you?

BOb

shrubs
06-20-2013, 06:34 AM
First off... GLAD your OK and it's a testament to these bikes. Secondly, coming from someone who was in an accident last Oct, I suggest you get an attorney. I needed mine to convince my insurance company to total the bike vice spending $19K to get the thing fixed.

Bob Denman
06-20-2013, 07:00 AM
It appears that impacts to the front and rear of Spyders take on more of an "automotive " feel...
They tend to stay upright, and that's the biggest positive aspect in a very negative situation.
Glad to hear that you're okay.
Are you going to have your insurance pay for the bike, and have them subrogate against the "Texter", or are you having her insurance pay up front for it?

bullant12
06-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Glad to hear you made it out without a scratch!:pray: Too bad about your :spyder2:, but better that than you... it's easier to replace or fix!;)

Damage from the front looks bad... what about the back end?

Another reason why I love our :spyder2:s... like the police and some others have stated, you probably would not posted this if you were on 2 wheels...:bowdown:

shelbydave
06-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Glad you are OK...and very glad you were riding a Spyder. I wish there were more severe consequences for distracted driving (or even tailgating). It might make people more careful.
:agree: As far as I'm concerned, the punishment should match the potential danger. That, IMHO, would place texting and driving up there with DUI.

Bob Denman
06-20-2013, 07:29 AM
In the meantime; Welcome to the Brotherhood of "Spyder Crash-Test Dummies" 70226
(I earned my membership on 10-11-2011)

Cruzr Joe
06-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Thankfully you are O.K. The Spyder can be replaced.

Cruzr Joe

pwm
06-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Glad your alright.

CruiseRT
06-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Glad you are OK, and I agree with putting texting up there with DUI. It is a proven fact the brain can only do one thing at a time.

kepople
06-20-2013, 08:42 AM
So sorry to see that, but really glad you did not get hurt...

2 wheels would have been bad...

Firefly
06-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Glad you're okay. The Spyder certainly adds much more safety than a two wheeler.

jmcbow
06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
A cautionary tale for sure, one of my biggest fears is being rear ended. I always try to leave a gap between me and the vehicle stopped ahead of me to give myself some maneuvering room, I'm always wathching me 6 when stopping at a light of such. Glad you are ok, hope the Spyder is salvageable.

jascreek
06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Loaded some additional pics. Young lady said she was doing 20-25 but I have a feeling it was more likely 35-40. And I never did find the license plate.

Bob Denman
06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
:shocked: Lots of busted Tupperware... :shocked:
Are your shoulders and wrists feeling okay? They took the shock load when you were launched forward...
Keep the Tylenol handy tonight!

ARtraveler
06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
I am so glad that you are okay after that. The configuration of the :spyder2: surely saved you from worse.

As others have mentioned, the :ani29: can be replaced. Glad to hear you are not going to let the incident with the distracted driver deter you from continued rydeing.

I also believe that the penalties should be much more severe for distracted driving (texting and cell phone use) in particular. I also hope the driver is tagged for the bill. Not sure how that works in "no fault" states though.

It is getting scarry driving down the road to see almost every driver with a cell phone in their hands. We had a close call last Saturday and a lady using a cellphone almost drove directly into akspyderlady.