PDA

View Full Version : 2011 RSS stock exhaust popping, but not...

FaranH
06-19-2013, 08:28 PM
...what I call really backfiring. SE5. When I'm in 4th and have let off the throttle almost completely and the RPMs are rapidly dropping. It's fine from the 5000s to the mid-4000 RPM range. But somewhere from 4300 down to 3800 the exhaust will stutter or pop. It doesn't feel like it's dying or losing power and I would not call it a backfire (at least not what I think of "Oh my gosh, someone shot me" noise). Does the same thing at the same RPMs when I'm in 3rd. Have not yet noticed it in 5th or 2nd.

I can downshift at that point and it goes away of course, but a lot of times it's occurring during a time when I normally would not do so. Like just slowing down before a curve that I know I'm going to accelerate out of. (I tend to not wait for the SE5 to do it's auto-downshift because I think it waits too late.) And it will go away once the RPMs drop a lot lower into the 3000s if I don't downshift or throttle first.

I replaced the Y-gaskets just a few months ago. I've searched the forums but all I find are issues with other after-market pipes. I'm straight stock.

Any thoughts on what to check? :dontknow:

boborgera
06-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Shot in the dark here, Spark plug wires, Have you changed the plugs or messed with the wires lately...??

FaranH
06-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I couldn't even tell you where my spark plugs are without getting out the Owner's Manual. nojokeSo no, not that I'm aware of.

mcaccamise
06-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi FaranH
Just a thought maybe your o2 sensor is causing a little bit of a lean condition which would cause the popping while down shifting u could have it checked with Budds and see if there is a problem.

FaranH
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Hmmm. Wonder if the O2 sensor got loosened when we changed the Y-gaskets? Can't say that I think it's been going on that long. I'm guessing that falls in the category of "eventually needs to get fixed, but not urgent"?

I've got a trip this weekend & am hoping the answer is YES!

NancysToy
06-19-2013, 10:14 PM
As long as it is just a mild popping on deceleration, and not actual loud backfiring, you have categorized it correctly. It may not be anything you can avoid. I agree that it is probably just running a bit lean...possibly due to sensor drift, or just the ambient temperatures. Has it been real hot there? If it is any consolation, my Spyder was doing the same while running the Rattler last weekend. I'm not concerned in the least.

FaranH
06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks, Scotty. I definitely have been noticing it more in the last few weeks and it's finally gotten into the high 80s and low 90s here during that time.

From the feedback, I'll get it checked out soon but am not too worried. Thanks, guys!

Chupaca
06-20-2013, 12:04 AM
if and when you have it checked out see if possibly the new gaskets got damaged in the reassembly and if they used the new version or the honda ones...:dontknow:

Bob Denman
06-20-2013, 07:08 AM
A little "growling" makes them seem tougher; doesn't it? ;)
higher temperatures shouldn't make the bike run leaner; it's getting a less-dense charge of air, so it should be givining itself less fuel...
(Doubtful that it would over-correct for the condition...)
A slight leak around the new O-rings perhaps? :dontknow:

bullant12
06-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Sometimes fuel can be a source of popping... especially if you have swapped from octanes or if you fueled in a gas station you have never been to and seemed they haven't refilled their tanks in a while (old gas).

I like to follow what Scotty says... but I would also try some octane booster since I know your :spyder2: has some miles and could use a little boost ;)

FaranH
06-20-2013, 07:20 AM
We use the Honda gaskets and since it was my dad and me making the change, I'm guessing the odds of error are higher than usual:yikes:. I don't think they were damaged honestly - we got them on without much issue. Guess I've gotta get it checked out though.

Bob Denman
06-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Well; Good Luck, and Happy Hunting! :thumbup:

NancysToy
06-20-2013, 12:47 PM
A little "growling" makes them seem tougher; doesn't it? ;)
higher temperatures shouldn't make the bike run leaner; it's getting a less-dense charge of air, so it should be givining itself less fuel...
(Doubtful that it would over-correct for the condition...)
A slight leak around the new O-rings perhaps? :dontknow:
That is true as far as the air density and the fuel charge goes, but there is more to the story. The ECM tries to compensate for the differences in ambient temperatures and the air pressure. Sometimes it's mapping is insufficient to do the job and it overcompensates. Sometimes the humidity and air pressure can cause the system to calculate the fuel need incorrectly, and it can run lean then, too. The bottom line is that it does happen. If you have the "problem" and it seems to be temperature related, it could be running a bit lean due to the weather.

BTW, Faran, have the exhaust manifold connections at the heads checked to see that they are tight. Slight leaks there can cause some popping.

abowser4u
06-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Had a similar problem around Maggie Valley last week. I have 2010 RS 5m5 and talked to Spyder tech at owners event. High ambient temp. backing off throttle on down hill long grades, exhaust popping, missing and popping in heavy traffic and very erratic idling. Tech told me to put on Budds when I got back to LA and have them look at O2 sensor and the sink of throttle bodies for rich to lean adj. He said that it was OK to ride and if I had the same trouble on my way home to just stop and let it cool off for a few min. Rode back to LA Sat from Tenn. 93 deg. ambient temp for 773 miles and had no popping until backing off the throttle on the off ramp in Lafayette, LA I-10 Ran all day between 70 and 75 mph.

myronmathis
06-20-2013, 01:01 PM
my spyder does the same thing even after the bigg maintenance which included changing the gaskets. my ride is also a 2011 RS-SE5
That is true as far as the air density and the fuel charge goes, but there is more to the story. The ECM tries to compensate for the differences in ambient temperatures and the air pressure. Sometimes it's mapping is insufficient to do the job and it overcompensates. Sometimes the humidity and air pressure can cause the system to calculate the fuel need incorrectly, and it can run lean then, too. The bottom line is that it does happen. If you have the "problem" and it seems to be temperature related, it could be running a bit lean due to the weather.

BTW, Faran, have the exhaust manifold connections at the heads checked to see that they are tight. Slight leaks there can cause some popping.

DrewNJ
06-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Minor decel popping especially on a hot day sounds pretty normal to me.....also, running a "bit" lean is NOT such a bad thing either.....;)

FaranH
06-20-2013, 03:17 PM
It might be normal except this will be my 3rd hot summer and it's the first time I've noticed it. Thinking O2 sensor might be the culprit, but I'll be taking notes on some of the other suggestions as well. Might be making a Pitbull run soon! :doorag:

BajaRon
06-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Which muffler do you have?

As already stated, it can be several things or even a combination of things. The first thing I check is the exhaust gaskets. You can start the bike when it's cold and have a few moments to run your hand CLOSE to the flange connections at the gasket areas before it gets too hot. You can easily feel an exhaust leak big enough to cause the problem you're having.

The next most common reason is spark plug wires and spark plugs. If you've got over 15K on original stuff that may well be your problem (Ask Yazz! :yikes:)

It can also be that the stuffing has blown out of your muffler (depending on which one you have).

Then you get into fuel issues (too lean) and cylinder balance (one cylinder running lean) which may involve the O2 sensor or even injectors.

Isn't technology fun!

Used to be you could adjust a needle, change a jet or set the float a little higher or lower and cure a lot of things. Not any more!

Good luck! If you do find the problem let us know.

3 wheeler
06-20-2013, 07:31 PM
My 2011 RS is doing the same thing. Only 2000 miles on it, stock exhaust. Only pops slightly in 3rd or 4th gear, decelerating around 4000 rpms. The inside of the muffler rattles too.

Ridingon3
06-21-2013, 10:35 AM
My 2011 RS-S (with Hindle exhaust) does the same thing. Just over 4000 miles on it and it's done it from the start (purchased with 200 miles on it)

bullant12
06-21-2013, 10:51 AM
It might be normal except this will be my 3rd hot summer and it's the first time I've noticed it. Thinking O2 sensor might be the culprit, but I'll be taking notes on some of the other suggestions as well. Might be making a Pitbull run soon! :doorag:

Remember you have a new exhaust coming soon...;)

FaranH
06-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Remember you have a new exhaust coming soon...;)

And I can't wait! :yes:Are you guys going to come spend the night next week and go on the Bradford ride on the 29th? (because you could bring it then, right?!)

FaranH
06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
At Pitbull right now. Len suspects spark plug wires since it's a 2011, but we'll see what they find. :popcorn:

bullant12
06-21-2013, 11:36 AM
And I can't wait! :yes:Are you guys going to come spend the night next week and go on the Bradford ride on the 29th? (because you could bring it then, right?!)

I'll let you and Leira work the details, but yes, the pipe is coming. I do need to make a pit stop at Harvey's (nothing urgent, can be another weekend trip)...

FaranH
06-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Bad spark plugs & wires. I'm about to head out of here for Eureka Springs with Len's lovely wife Vanessa so I'll k ow for certain in a few hours.

I'll also get to test out my new shock relocator kit. Woohoo!!:yes: Gonna take the scenic route for sure!!

Bob Denman
06-21-2013, 04:51 PM
:congrats: on finding the culprit!
And shock rlelocators too?
I'm jealous... :opps:
Now you'll have to stop back in with a full report on them... :yes::ohyea::yes::ohyea:

boborgera
06-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Bad spark plugs & wires. I'm about to head out of here for Eureka Springs with Len's lovely wife Vanessa so I'll k ow for certain in a few hours.

I'll also get to test out my new shock relocator kit. Woohoo!!:yes: Gonna take the scenic route for sure!!

:thumbup:
:thumbup::yes: