PDA

View Full Version : After Lamont's BBQ, we drove the entire BRP

SteveMac
06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
BRP being the Blue Ridge Parkway that runs from North Carolina up into Virginia. It has been a blast.

Lots of sweeping curves in the 500 total miles. Highly recommend it as a ride.

A quick observation. We probably saw a couple hundred various bikes on our trip. Approximately half of those were cruiser and touring bikes. Mostly HD Street Glides, Road Kings, and larger touring Ultras. Also quite a few Goldwings. A few metric cruisers tossed into the mix also. But what surprised me was the overwhelming number of dual sport and adventure touring bikes we saw. These bikes combined,,, easily comprised half of all bikes we saw. With the BMW comprising about 90% of this group. That really stood out to me.

Oh yeah. Saw two Spyders on the entire trip. One was still in Maggie Valley after the owners event. A white RT-LTD on a trailer. Then at about mile marker 40 on the BRP we met a nice looking Red RTS with what looked like Pete's rally stripes on it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/20/zabatesu.jpg

daveinva
06-19-2013, 03:42 PM
:thumbup:

I was tempted to do the ride myself home from Maggie Valley, but after the weekend I just wanted to make it home, so I only rode the Rattler on my way up to 26 and 81.

That said, I may do the BRP the next time I visit MV... How long did the entire trip take you from MV to the end in Virginia? What would you say your average speed was? (riding the stretches of BRP around Maggie Valley, I'll admit I may have followed the speed limit as more of a "serving suggestion" than a commandment ;))

lookerjdc
06-19-2013, 03:49 PM
that is a beautiful ride

SteveMac
06-19-2013, 05:18 PM
:thumbup:

I was tempted to do the ride myself home from Maggie Valley, but after the weekend I just wanted to make it home, so I only rode the Rattler on my way up to 26 and 81.

That said, I may do the BRP the next time I visit MV... How long did the entire trip take you from MV to the end in Virginia? What would you say your average speed was? (riding the stretches of BRP around Maggie Valley, I'll admit I may have followed the speed limit as more of a "serving suggestion" than a commandment ;))

Dave, I'd say average speed has been 35-40 mph. As for how long it has taken,,, we've been moving at a very leisurely pace as this route is our vacation this year. We have berms staying at various wineries and B&Bs. Leaving out at 10ish each morning. Stopping to eat near our next stop at 4ish. So it took us five days which included Cades Cove on the south end of BRP.

On a steady push maybe 3 days? Or a bit quicker if you do consider the speed limit to be a recommendation! ;)

SteveMac
06-19-2013, 05:21 PM
that is a beautiful ride

:agree: 100% !

daveinva
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Dave, I'd say average speed has been 35-40 mph. As for how long it has taken,,, we've been moving at a very leisurely pace as this route is our vacation this year. We have berms staying at various wineries and B&Bs. Leaving out at 10ish each morning. Stopping to eat near our next stop at 4ish. So it took us five days which included Cades Cove on the south end of BRP.

On a steady push maybe 3 days? Or a bit quicker if you do consider the speed limit to be a recommendation! ;)

Thanks... I'll definitely have to do it, might try for it in the fall with the leaves changing (but definitely only during the weekdays to avoid as many of the gawkers as possible!).

Bob Ledford
06-20-2013, 06:38 AM
We have done several times in 3 days if you do not stop much. four days if you stop, stretch and enjoy yourself