PDA

View Full Version : Biker's Friend Luggage In the Rear Seat of My RT?

kentompkins
06-18-2013, 06:51 PM
I recently bought the small Biker's Friend; it just fits the rear seat of my RT. I've spent a good deal of time on various lashings and have been forced to reject each one because they prevent the seat from rising to fill the gas tank.

Why do I have to raise my Ultimate seat with the gas nozzle door? Because on my 2013 RT the opening of the door does not exactly match up with the gas cap. Some nozzles will work but those with the switch embedded in the nozzle protector won't fit into the opening AND turn so the nozzle can enter the tank. I did contact Ultimate and was told that the offset was normal!

So, anyone have a Biker's Friend arranged so the seat will spring up? I simply don't want to un-lash the BF each time I have to get gas. I have lashed mine to (1) the passenger handles, (2) placed the BF vertically and passed the straps under the rear trunk lid and (3) lashed it to the post of the Ultimate backrest. None allows easy gas filling.

ken tompkins

SpyRyd
06-19-2013, 04:29 AM
I recently bought the small Biker's Friend; it just fits the rear seat of my RT. I've spent a good deal of time on various lashings and have been forced to reject each one because they prevent the seat from rising to fill the gas tank.

Why do I have to raise my Ultimate seat with the gas nozzle door? Because on my 2013 RT the opening of the door does not exactly match up with the gas cap. Some nozzles will work but those with the switch embedded in the nozzle protector won't fit into the opening AND turn so the nozzle can enter the tank. I did contact Ultimate and was told that the offset was normal!

So, anyone have a Biker's Friend arranged so the seat will spring up? I simply don't want to un-lash the BF each time I have to get gas. I have lashed mine to (1) the passenger handles, (2) placed the BF vertically and passed the straps under the rear trunk lid and (3) lashed it to the post of the Ultimate backrest. None allows easy gas filling.

ken tompkins

When I rode to Spyderfest I lashed a dry fit bag to the back seat of my Rt using ROK straps. Still had to loosen the straps to fill up but it was really quick and easy with the ROK straps. Check 'em out.

Daisyjoe
06-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I, too, used a bikers friend on my RTS. I tried several different methods of securing it. I ended up using a strap on one side that easily unhooked.. Each time I got fuel, I unhooked the strap, and gently laid the bikers friend against the bike. It took about 3 minutes longer. It was worth it to me because I used the bikers friend as a back rest on my trip to MV. But with that being said, I do feel your pain. It is a wee bit aggravating. :banghead:

bullant12
06-19-2013, 08:30 AM
I've noticed that on the RS's (and GS's as well) that you can raise the seat with a bag on the passanger's seat if you release the foward straps only. On the RT, because of the backrest and sometimes the back speakers, any bag makes lifiting the seat an inconvenience.

Yazz
06-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Don't have a Biker's Friend but a textile turtle-shell type luggage that goes on the passenger seat.

The front straps attach tightly under the seat. The back straps attach tightly to the far rear grab bars.

Fueling up is not a problem...

murphybrown
06-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Ken, That was the main motivation for me to invest in my Corbin..at that time Ultimate (i have traveled with folks that have the Ultimate and I don't see them having to raise their Ultimate..just saying) had not made a seat for the RT...my stock seat was comfortable but I hated, hated HATED :banghead: having to take off and put back on my sea to summit bag...I have never regretted the decision. Still use my Sea to Summit bag...but now it just rydes, rydes and rydes with me..only have to remove when I want to. And yes I give a strong "love em" to my rok straps. I did just recently add the Diamond R back trunk rack :thumbup:...gives me just the extra room I need to carry a few more items...just not ready to invest in a trailer..I did purchase a different bag to put on the Diamond R (it comes with a small duffel/gym type back. I wanted waterproof and something that fits better. So far the Firstgear I got is doing the job...will have a better assessment after this weekend and next weeks multiple day trips.
Have a great day..:clap:

Cavman
06-19-2013, 10:11 AM
70147I bought a Saddlemen's bag and it has a harness thing that goes under the seat. It has straps with snap hooks that attach to 'D' rings on the bag. I can lift my seat enough to refuel.
I also an using it as a back rest which was the main idea in the first place. Extra storage is a bonus.